Tears for Fears-Songs from the Big Chair-Nov.4 Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterzac, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Does anything on this (yes I know about the the reversed channels being fixed on this new one, not a concern) sound as good as this original?

2. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

SFTBC is one of my favorite LP's period and while I enjoy listening to the Steve Wilson mix for its differences, taking out the reverb really lessens the epic scope of the songs, particularly on "The Working Hour" which doesn't work without the lush wall of sound that sounds like a city at night and dulls the propulsive aura. The stereo mix sounds quite lovely from my Fisher via the Oppo.

3. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Agree, hearing Roland's vocals not soaring over the mix like they should was one of the stranger moments of the remix. Hope they'll be less of that on the Seeds remix.

4. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

So is this boxset now out of print? Is there no way I can now acquire a digital mix of Steven Wilson's 2.0 remix of Songs From The Big Chair?

5. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

The original mix and the SW remix are available in high res from HDTracks and probably other high res download sites, there is also the Blu Ray with stereo and surround, and a CD with just the stereo remix, I think.

JediJoker likes this.
  6. raphph

Stereo remix on CD? Does anyone have any info on this? I prefer to own this in physical digital format if so.... Bluray / HD tracks is last resort

7. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

JediJoker likes this.
  8. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

It looks like the 2014 CD was just a remaster. I wanted the box set for this album but got the HDTracks download instead and burned the SW remix to a CD.

JediJoker likes this.
  9. JulesRules

While the remix wasn't my main priority, I knew that these box sets sell out rather quickly, hence, I placed my preorder once the price had come down to a normal range. I'll do the same for Seeds of Love.

I do wish Universal would reprint this & The Hurting. They contain some stuff that's essential for any TFF fan...

Sammy Banderas, JeffMo and eelkiller like this.
  10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Why do you want the remix? Just curious. It's alright, but I still prefer the original mix - it's what I've grown used to.

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I missed out on the Hurting set, prices became ridiculous.

JulesRules and Sammy Banderas like this.
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The audio portion was on iTunes before, not sure it still is.

Sammy Banderas and eelkiller like this.
  13. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

It still is. I've thought about getting it, but hoping I'll stumble upon a used copy of the box set at a reasonable price. A guy can dream. :p

JeffMo, JediJoker and Sammy Banderas like this.
  14. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Another vote for making THE HURTING box set available for sale! :agree: I just got a great deal on the SONGS box set and I absolutely won't miss out on the SEEDS one. :goodie:

JulesRules likes this.
  15. JulesRules

Also this...
    Mike Oldfield to reissue 1984 albums, Discovery and Killing Fields

16. raphph

See also the new Sgt. Pepper boxset thread.

17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I don't have the big box, but I picked up the 24/96 from HdTracks yesterday - it includes the original mix plus the SW remix.

I am a huge fan of SW's remixes, but this one I am not crazy about. And it has nothing to do with being familiar or used to the original. The new remix has a lot more bass in the mix, it is very "punchy." Typically that's a blessing....but there's the rub. I feel it makes the entire mix harder to distinguish - less clarity and space between the instruments. Compare the drums on the remix then switch over to the original mix and I think you will see (hear) what I mean.

Anyway - I am still enjoying it.....I haven't heard this one start to finish in ages.

JQ

JulesRules likes this.
  18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I found the remix kinda, I dunno . . . thin? To me this record was all about that somewhat gauzy Fairlight sound kinda wrapping you in a cottony cocoon of sound. I actually found the remix a little too clear and too transparent, and lacking the original's overwhelming atmosphere.

JulesRules and chris8519 like this.
  19. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

The remix has some nice moments but completely strips the lp of its arena sheen.

JulesRules likes this.
  20. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

There are only two masters of ELAHE, the 12 track and the 14 track. The 12 track has better dynamics and this version was used for the Gold compilation. Hope this helps.

enro99 likes this.
  21. JulesRules

Thanks, I did not know that there were two different masterings of the entire album - I only have the 14 track version, so for the European market my comment isn't really wrong. But it's interesting; is Stephen Marcussen also credited on the 12 track version?

Also, the DR values are identical for two tracks, but not quite for two others - although they're very close.

22. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Marcussen Mastering did both the EU and US versions. I'd be shocked if the levels were different on the original releases. Marcussen is also credited with remastering on "Gold."

JediJoker, humanracer and jamesc like this.
  23. JulesRules

Well, humanracer is right - the US version is a bit more dynamic than the EU one, which received an extra crushing.
    I think Marcussen's credit on Gold only applies to the two new tracks... (certainly, almost all tracks on disc 1 are digitally identical to the 1999 Jon Astley remasters!)

humanracer and jamesc like this.
  24. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

I posted the levels here
    Differences between US/UK Tears For Fears - Everybody Loves A Happy Ending

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  25. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

humanracer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.