Techflex cable ---why is it so common?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaveyF, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident Thread Starter

Recently, one of my power cables that was constructed with Techflex outer covering decided to shed its skin.

This is a common occurrence as Techflex ages..resulting in a very nice mess with small particles of the braid all over the floor....which are a PITA to clean up. So many manufacturers use this stuff, maybe because it is fairly inexpensive and it looks 'modern'. Problem is the stuff also is not that flexible ( even though the name indicates that it is) and the poor aging factor is going to rear up. There are a number of other cable coverings available, so what's with the TechFlex craze???

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I've never had a problem with it. Maybe yours isn't actual TechFlex.

3. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

No problems here. I don't think it's so common.

F1nut likes this.
  4. DaveyF

How old are your cables? Mine was about 15 years old...so it doesn't surprise me too much that it failed, but the TechFlex made a big mess --similar to what happens to foam after it ages. I have heard the same thing about TechFlex from others who have older cables with the stuff. Anyone else have similar problems....?
    I do grant this..perhaps TechFlex has changed its design/formulation over the years...and the new stuff isn't going to develop this problem. I guess we will will discover this in the future.

5. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I've got TechFlex covered cables that are over 20 years old, not a single issue. You're the first person I've seen report an issue.

I had to look this up. TechFlex is made from polyethylene terephthalate, which is a thermoplastic polymer resin of the polyester family. It's pretty tough stuff.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    motorstereo, zonto and Balthazar like this.
  6. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Mine are 10-15 years old.

Where else has this been reported as an issue? Could you share some links to other complaints, Davey?

I ask because I, too, have never seen one complaint about TechFlex, much less shedding as a "common occurrence."

7. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Likewise, I have two boxes full of TechFlex covered cables and I have never had any flaking. Many of my cables are 10-15 years old. Have these cables been exposed to heat, by chance?

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have some old Magnan Vi that is fraying where the cover meets the shrink wrap. I don’t know if the material is this techflex.

DaveyF likes this.
  9. DaveyF

I don't think this has been reported as an issue...yet. But, two of my a'phile friends have encountered the same issue. Albeit, their cables are at least as old as the one I had.
    The cable I am referencing was not exposed to heat or moisture, so I think it just had to do with age.
    I now own several cables that are utilizing a cloth cover...and I think not only are they far more flexible ( which in my system is a big plus, as space is at a premium) but they also tend to weigh less.

10. DaveyF

I think that your Magnan uses TechFlex. If you were to rub the area, does it come off in small shards? That was what mine was doing. So much so, that by the time I noticed the issue, because the cable was behind my rack, that there was a considerable amount of shards on the carpet. Since these shards are small, it was a pain to vacuum them up. I noticed that if I ran my finger across the cable, that the TechFlex would simply disintegrate! One thing though, removing the whole TechFlex cover was now fairly easy ( if messy) and so I binned the cover. Cable still sounds exactly the same.

11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I love the looks of this stuff and I have one RCA interconnect that's covered with it. However, as I'm not a believer in looking at cables, I don't see it in any event. But I checked it after seeing this thread and don't see any deterioration after maybe 5 years so far.

12. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Ok so, I took a section of 20+ year old TechFlex sleeve that I removed from some MIT speaker cable I was repurposing and was able to easily bend it in half, twist it around, stretch it, compress it and even crushed it under foot on a concrete floor with no damage.

I know it's used in marine, automotive and heavy industrial applications primarily to prevent chafing damage to whatever it is surrounding, so it stands to reason it is pretty tough stuff.

Davey, can you post a picture of your damaged TechFlex? When you say it isn't flexible do you realize the flexibility is related to what it is covering and not the TechFlex itself as it is extremely flexible material.

Balthazar likes this.
  13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

That seems more like a case of the TechFlex has been pulled out from under the shrink.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, I think this is the problem. Still not very good. I have older Audio Quest cable that looks great, of course the jacket is a different material.

DaveyF likes this.
  15. DaveyF

Sorry, I can't post a picture as I have already removed the stuff and thrown it out. Like I said in my last post, the TechFlex was just flaking off everywhere and was a big mess. Due to the break down of the TechFlex it was fairly easy to remove. Interesting that you state that the cable beneath the TechFlex is what makes it flexible...I guess all of my cables that still use this stuff are just not that flexible, while my cables that utilize cloth are.

16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Pretty sure AudioQuest uses the same polyethylene terephthalate material.

17. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I'm not doubting you, but have to say your case is the exception.

Logic should dictate the flexibility of a cable is due to the material immediately surrounding the wire inside instead of the outer sleeve.

Edit: the flexibility is also related to the gauge and configuration of the wire itself.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I wouldn't know, but it looks nothing alike. The Audioquest is a solid rubber like sleeve and the Magnan is braided.

19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Ah, must be an old version then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.