Technics automatic turntables

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vanmeterannie, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanmeterannie

vanmeterannie Senior Member Thread Starter

I have an SL-1800, which is fully manual, and I've been thinking about finding an SL-1300 or other model that's automatic so I can start a record and walk away...for whatever reason, I'm very fussy about my needle just spinning in a locked groove, and can't stand it. With a new baby, I think having something that'll shut off at the end of a side will be far more condusive to my casual listening. Does anybody here have a 1300, and can tell me 1) is the stylus pickup point adjustable so that I can control where the shutoff kicks in and 2) is the stylus pickup fairly gentle on the stylus itself?

2. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't know the 1300, but most modern 'tables I've tried are gentle enough on the stylus at shut-off. I know my Technics SL-BD20 (OK, you can stop laughing now) was.

Just make sure you're not using a cartridge that hangs too low or any aftermarket mats that might cause the stylus to drag across the LP as it's returning to its rest (I've had it happen.. NOT nice :sigh: ).

Pickup point should be adjustable on most 'tables but usually not easily (it'll likely require you to 'pop the hood').

Edit: Alternately, how about a lifter? I don't recall any makes or models, but I believe they can be had on eBay- little gadgets that sit on the plinth and lift the arm when it's reached the dead wax. I don't think they'll turn off the 'table though. Most likely adjustable as far as pickup point goes. You also get to avoid the extra linkages, gears and rollers of a semi-automatic 'table which I suspect must have a detrimental effect on sound, slight as it might be.

3. vanmeterannie

vanmeterannie Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know there was such a thing as a lifter...that sounds perfect, as I'm more concerned about just getting the needle out of the groove than actually shutting off the player. I'll check into it.

4. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.