Technics Headshell Spacer Weight is magnetic

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dconsmack, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a Dynavector 17D3 cartridge that I use on my Technics SL-1210M5G. I want to use the head shell spacer to add height and mass. However, I noticed that the spacer is magnetic and the cartridge sticks to it when the spacer is placed near the front of the cartridge body. Will mounting the spacer cause any performance issues and/or should I not use it?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I would not use the steel spacer. I wouldn't add mass either. The arm has adjustable height. If you can't get it low enough, I'd use a wooden spacer or plastic.
    -Bill

3. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member Thread Starter

Do you know of any companies that make a non magnetic spacer? Also, I want to add mass because the 17D3 needs it. Even with the 4g head shell weight, it's not heavy enough to get vertical tonearm resonance down where it should be although lateral resonance was fine with the head shell weight only. I used the Hi Fi News Test LP. Without weights the arm resonance was too high.
    I also use the ¼" heavy rubber mat, the Technics felt mat, and the KAB fluid damper. The damper doesn't work properly at a low arm height; the paddle bottoms out so I need extra height. Does the magnetic properties of the spacer negatively affect the performance of the cart?

4. blakep

blakep Senior Member

VPI makes a spacer in stainless and there are specific types of stainless that are non-magnetic but someone recently posted on another forum that the VPI spacer was indeed magnetic.

You could probably find a local metal fabricator locally that would make you a couple of headshell weights using the Technics as a template. I did this a number of years ago and had them fashion me a couple of headshell weights out of non-magnetic stainless. Brass or copper would be an option as well. My cost was around $30 for two different weights (different thicknesses), so about the same cost as a commercial product but allowing you to customize somewhat in terms of actual weight.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Magnetic items of any type around a LOMC cartridge can't be a good thing. I would use a light and hard material for the spacer. I wouldn't necessarily trust the test Lp for proper results in every case. I doubt that the weight is needed and rather suspect that adding weight will push the resonance too low. In any case, mass loading at the headshell isn't the best place IMO. I'd say that when using a $1k cartridge, the days of adding a penny to the top of the headshell are over... Since the 1210 arm bearings and its other fittings are not likely the best part of that audio chain, I'd suggest wrapping the arm tube instead. Try it with a wood or plastic spacer first. I'd make my own. It'd be super easy with some fairly common hand tools and finishing material (files, sandpaper, etc.).
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.