Technics SL-1200G vs SL-1200GR + suitable MM cartridge for either

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nubben, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Not sure. The Agitator's post is above in this page but it doesn't say if the guy is a SHF member.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I did listen to the GR and G but had made up my mind on the GR before hearing them both based on the opinion of a trusted dealer.
    I allocated a budget for the G or the GR with a really nice cartridge and I chose the GR.
    I really could not tell much difference between the two but realize that extended listening is needed to pick out the subtleties and details. Seems like the GR is more tolerant of a cartridge mass / compliance miss-match than the G. I matched my cartridge with the GR to have a near 10Hz resonant frequency and I am completely thrilled by the results.

3. Mind if I ask where you were able to audition both? I’m in the same boat as many here trying to decide between the two but am not aware of any Technics dealers in the Chicago area who have them.

displayname likes this.
  4. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Try HiFi Heaven in Green Bay.

displayname, recstar24 and snorker like this.
  5. Beggars can’t be choosers, but that’s about 3.5/4 hours drive each way, was hoping for something in the greater Chicagoland area.

displayname likes this.
  6. Gabe Walters

I’m pre-caffeine and somehow had convinced myself it was only an hour from Chicago. Not a Midwesterner.

Glenn Poor’s Audio/Video in Champaign is also a Technics dealer.

Shawn likes this.
  7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Highly recommended. I ordered from them because there is – amazingly – no brick and mortar Technics dealer in the Washington DC metro area. Though apparently you can get the GR through Guitar Center.

displayname likes this.
  8. Gabe Walters

Same. Turns out Technics wants dealers to bring in their electronics and speakers and won’t let them just get the turntables. Or so I’ve heard from a local dealer.

displayname likes this.
  9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That’s what I heard too, though that doesn’t really explain how Guitar Center wound up with only the GR model.

10. Gabe Walters

I would guess it’s harder to turn down Guitar Center’s purchasing power and national footprint.

displayname and snorker like this.
  11. avanti1960

glenn poors in champaign, see geoff poor. great guy, honest and knows his stuff.
    the GR sounded very smooth in a system with the new mofi MM cartridge and dynaudio contour bookshelf speakers. the G was in a system with goldenear referenc 1 speakers. not a fan of the GE sound.
    apparently technics had a lot of demanding qualifications on potential dealers including required inventory levels, dedicated display rooms with glass doors and other things that made it difficult.

displayname and Shawn like this.
  12. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Added to the recommendation. Got my preamp from them for a great price, excellent communication and super fast shipping.

Shawn likes this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I can't recall, but what cart are you referring to on your GR?

14. avanti1960

ortofon cadenza blue LOMC

recstar24 and punkmusick like this.
  15. punkmusick

recstar24 likes this.
  16. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Thanks for the info on the cartridge compliance! Glad to hear that they aren't shockingly different. I've been waiting for someone to share results of testing both models.

17. punkmusick

Do you know where can I find more about this?

displayname likes this.
  18. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Also curious about that. Don’t both arms have an effective mass of 12 grams?

displayname likes this.
  19. Cosmo-D

Cosmo-D Well-Known Member

I feel like for the amount of money you are looking to spend you also have options in HOMC (high-output moving coil) cartridges. HOMC cartridges work reliably with MM phono stages.

If you can afford it, I'd go with the 1200G. I feel like it is turntable you won't "grow out of". By that I mean I don't think it will ever become a bottleneck with regards to performance regards of how setup your setup changes. The only thing I could see outperforming it would be something like the SL-1000 with a really fancy arm. Have you explored the option of vintage turntables? Japanese companies in the 80s made a variety of ridiculously cool DD turntables that I'm sure even to this day would be pretty competitive with the new Technics offerings. Although, the motors might not be quite as nice. I don't think many companies made a coreless motor quite like what is on the new 1200G/GR, but I am not very knowledgeable about such things.

punkmusick and displayname like this.
  20. I ended up taking the drive last weekend to Hi-fi Heaven and bought the 1200G (I had spoken with them over the week prior so they knew I was coming / so they could have the table set up). Very pleasant experience, and they gave me a very fair deal on trading in my Roksan Radius 5. I was surprised how many used items they have for sale... if I had more time I would have dug around a bit.

It was worth the drive, even in some pretty heavy rain and even some snow that I encountered on my way!

21. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

Be great to hear what you think? One transformative tweak I gave mine was replacing the Technics headshell wires with Ortofon 7n ones. Most have their own replacement headshell though.....lol

22. avanti1960

It's because of the higher mass of the G's platter and chassis that can dissipate vibration better, also the tuning of arm to chassis is different. The G has one resonant peak while the GR has a resonant "plateau".
    The G's platter weighs 8 lbs and the GR's weighs 5-1/2, total weight G= 40lbs , GR= 25lbs.

punkmusick likes this.
  23. punkmusick

In this case, shouldn't the G be more tolerant of a cartridge mass /compliance miss-match than the GR, and not the contrary? Sorry for my ignorance.

24. missan

missan Forum Resident

A mismatch of eff mass/compliance will place the resonance at a not wanted frequency. It's something else.

punkmusick likes this.
  25. avanti1960

This post needs correction- the G is more tolerant of miss-match. Sorry for the error.

JoeSmo and punkmusick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.