Technics SL-1600mk2 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ronald Hofmeister, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronald Hofmeister

Ronald Hofmeister Member Thread Starter

I just bought a Technics Model Number
    SL-1600MK2 Turntable that is 100% Mint Condition. But there is just one Problem with it it is for Japan Voltage Of 100 Volts.
    Will it work on US Power Voltage Of 120 Volts?
    I found the Power Transformer & the Switch
    & Power Board. How hard will it be to make the Switch?
    Should I send it in to a professional to do the Work?

Ronald

2. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Unless the unit has a tap on the transformer for 120V you can switch to you may not be able to set the TT up for 120V. Since this is a linear power supply if you input 120V into the 100V unit you risk damaging the power transformer and possibly frying components on the power supply board. Others here may know if the unit can be made 120V compliant by changing a transformer tap. If not your best bet is to purchase a stepdown transformer to convert 120V to 100V like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBright-...=8-13&keywords=120+to+100V++voltage+converter

Looking a the product ratings in the manual on Vinyl Engine, the US version of the SL1600MKII only has a power consumption rating of 18.5W. Even thought the Japanese unit will draw slightly more power at 100V this transformer, rated 300W, would be more than adequate to perform the voltage stepdown function.

In fact this less expensive lower wattage (100W) unit should work as well.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBright-..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=QE238P6RC1VQE96BHXHQ

I can't vouch for the quality of the units I linked to, and you may want to pay a little more to get a better quality unit, but this is a lot cheaper than paying a professional to open your unit up as the bench charge alone would be much more than this inexpensive voltage stepdown unit.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  3. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

As our other contributor said... best bet is to purchase a step down transformer (120V to 100V) or....
    Plan B > take it to a turntable tech.
    I have a Technics SL1210 Mk5, the weakest link in my system are its 'standard' output cable/RCA plugs. If you have 'standard' cables (and you do go to a technician) it might pay to replace that cable
    with better ones... that is of course, if you've been 'cable conscious' with the rest of your system, otherwise don't spend the $$$$$.
    Good luck with your voltage problem... you've got a good turntable!

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think there’s some kind of weird hertz cycle mismatch (I’m trying to remember this from 20 years ago) which doesn’t make a step up or down transformer ideal. But I’ve done it and was damned if I could hear a difference.

5. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

US line voltage is 60Hz while Japan is 50Hz but it should not cause problems for the TT as the frequency has no impact on the power supply converting the AC to a DC voltage used in the circuitry.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    zombiemodernist and Ghostworld like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.