Technics SL-QL15 programmable linear turntable problem ..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by anorak2, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi folks

I've owned the SL-QL15 since 1983.

One of its features is title programming like on CD players. When you engage the programming function, it first scans the disc for run-in grooves in order to locate title beginnings and endings. As far as I know it does that using an IR sensor that is hidden beneath the lid. This function has become sort of dodgy, it only recognizes the run in grooves on some records, and then often not all titles. When it was new that function was much more robust. It seems to vary according to ambient light as well. You can't really call it broken, but it's not OK either.

I hesitate bringing it to a repair service, because I'm not sure which one has technicians who can handle this sort of old player with such a specific problem. There is a local Panasonic/Technics service centre, but they don't even advertise turntable repair on their homepage, and I've had them refuse vintage machines before for lack of spare parts. So I was hoping someone here might have a suggestion that I can try as a layperson. Maybe the IR LED is simply weak and can be replaced? An easy adjustment in the innards I could try?
    Thanks for any help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.