Telefunken 12AX7

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MattTheCat, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Sorry, don't agree. Again, it really depends. There are so many interactions here, one could do a DOE to deconvolve them. My little Pro-Ject Tube Box II phono stage really improved when I put Tele's in them, and I remember reading a review of the EAR 834 P that really improved when TFKs were installed instead of the stock AX7's.

IMHO, generalizations about tubes are kinda risky....in both my experience and Jeff Dorgay's (TonePub), the Mullard CV4003 (a mil-spec 12AU7) was the hot setup for the Conrad-Johnson PV12 preamp.

2. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

A.G., Does your husband post on this forum?

I think it's safe to say that different tube circuits will yield different results with the same tube(s). Think of it as adding spices to your food. Some folks prefer a bland flavour (boring to some) whereas others prefer a spicier taste. :)

3. I have heard both in C-J and Jolida equipment and cannot perceive an appreciable difference. I am sure those with truly "golden ears" may be able to.

FWIW, the Tele 12az7's sound great in my C-J integrated. In my Jolida, I found Mullard CV4004's to sound the best.

4. This is great advice. No one can tell you how the tube will sound in your equipment, unless they have tried the tube in that equipment. Even then, no one can tell you whether you will like that sound.

I think the only way to do tube rolling is to try several types in your own equipment and then decide what you like best. If you don't like a tube, you will *always* be able to sell it back on the used market, either here, Audiogon, or eBay. You might take a small hit on the price, but probably not anything too significant.

5. Corey Louis

Corey Louis Active Member

Tried the telefunkens in the phono stage only of my mcintosh c2500 paired with a mc275 (the rest of the tubes still stock) after reading this thread, wow do they sound great! gives me more detail without ruining the warmth of this setup, dont know if I want to swap the rest of the ax7's for the tele's or not... does anyone have any info on the current tubes mc is using? I can't find "made in china" anywhere on them, maybe the mark VI of the 275 uses different stock tubes than the V discussed previously in this thread, I'm pretty sure the KT-88s are still Russian

6. Rolled some vintage Tele 12ax7's into my PrimaLuna P1
    Steve is correct about the holographic sound....it just seems to float in front of you!
    Going to try some Valvo's next

7. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Have you tried Sophia 12ax7? I think they're around $50 each new
    but you might do better if you shop around.
    Psvane can be had for around $65 pair and might do the trick.

There's also some new Russian re-issue Mullard 12ax7 tubes but I know nothing about them.

You might also try Amperex 12ax7 D foil getters or Mullard Goal post square or halo getters.
    These are all from the 1950's and are my favorites.
    Prefer these over Telefunken's although as mentioned by others tube choices are very system dependent.
    I do like Telefunken 6dj8 family tubes though.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  8. tried the Psvane 12ax7...no comparison to these old ears
    looks were identical to some no name Chi-tubes I had laying around
    I am suspicious!!

9. I wouldn't touch that Psvane stuff, especially when some really great NOS tubes are available for lower prices.

betweentheears likes this.
  10. meadow

meadow Active Member

I have many ECC83 12AX7A. Telefunken diamond bottom are probably the most balanced yet beautiful sounding ones. Mullard is also excellent, a bit warmer tone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.