Tell Me about "Tell Me"-Rolling Stones-the 2:52 version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I held a copy of the rare s/t LP with the correct matrix # a few years back and passed on purchasing it. One of the biggest collecting regrets I have.

2. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Updated with SACD The Rolling Stones Tell Me 4:05 (Times at 4:00) (fades before Cold Ending but longer than other faded versions)

The MFSL The Rolling Stones LP has the 4:06 (CD timing 4:07) Cold ending version of Tell Me.

A summary so far:

2:52 Original Decca The Rolling Stones UK LP Mono Not on CD

4:06 2nd Mastering DECCA The Rolling Stones Mono UK LP, Original Japanese London CDs of the first album, West German London CD "Digitally Remastered" banner and "Made in West Germany by PolyGram"

2:35 (Times out 2:40+) London US 45

2:46 London Singles Collection CD

3:47 German DECCA The Rolling Stones 1970 LP

3:48 SACD/CD ABCO The Singles Collection Japan POCD series "Englands Newest Hitmakers" CD
    later West German London The Rolling Stones CD

3:49 DSD CD ABCO The Singles Collection

3:49 SACD/CD More Hot Rocks

4:05 (Times at 4:00) SACD/CD The Rolling Stones Now (fades before Cold Ending but longer than other faded versions)

3. Connebroe

Connebroe New Member

I listened to all my versions of Tell Me and wanted to add some info to help clarify.

From what I can best tell, there were four distinct versions originally released.

a)Mistaken "demo" version. Rolling Stones s/t LP w/matrix XARL6272-1A or XARL6272-2A. 2:52 This version has no piano. Apr64, first pressing.

b)Corrected LP version. Rolling Stones s/t LP. 4:06, cold ending version. Apr64

c)England's Newest Hit Makers LP version. 3:47. This fades out earlier instead of ending cold and is either a slightly different mix of a different vocal take as there are some vox differences. Note: I used a PS375 (stereo) pressing; I don't own a mono of this release. May64. I compared this version to an ABCKO CD version and they sound the same (aside from technical differences) to me.

d)7" US version. "2:35" (but actually runs longer). Single US/London edit. Guitar solo edited out, fast fade-out.Jun64. This seems to match the London Years CD Box "2:47" version.

I never noticed there were so many, until I read this thread and pulled out all my copies. I knew there were 2 '60s released Street Fighting Mans and 2 Under-assistant West Coasts...right?
    How odd!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.