Tell me about your cd player.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfect sound forever

Perfect sound forever Well-Known Member

Do you mind sending it to me . Thanks lol.

56GoldTop, patient_ot and Airbus like this.
  2. Roger C

Roger C Near Kalamazoo Michigan

I bought a used Arcam Alpha 9 which had good reviews in it's time. I use it everynight while getting to sleep. It's wonderful, but I have not done any A/B with my Oppo 83 or music server. Still going strong after 10+ years.
    This made me think of the current Arcam cd players I have not heard much about.

3. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

It works.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A couple of CD players on my wish list Naim ( one of them) and Meridian 506.

5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Its in the nearest skip I could find :)

6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It's this black box that takes this shiny round disc.......and somehow music comes out, although to some folks the later part is debatable.

Linger63 likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Physical media from cradle to grave.
    :)

Daryl M likes this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It no longer works. Discs stick to the clamp. The dick turntable won't rotate to the correct disc, and the laser won't work half the time. It works when it wants to. I think it's done. It just sits there collecting dust. Landfill.

9. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Currently a new Cyrus CDt transport into the DAC of a Naim ND5XS. Sounds very detailed and musical. No issues from the transport - latest ones really work! Would benefit from a better DAC in future, possibly.

10. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Next to my TT........:shh:

11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Linger63 likes this.
  12. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I've moved on up from my beloved (and great sounding) Pioneer DV-79AVi to an Oppo 105D. Having to downsize my system (pre-retirement) and wanted a truly all-in-one universal player with digital inputs and a great DAC.

goldwax and c-eling like this.
  13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Dick turntable, Ive never heard of those...

Linger63 and triple like this.
  14. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I bought a entry level Technics cd player in 1989. I really liked it and I can't remember when or why I got rid of it. In 1994 I bought a Sony cd player, still entry level, but it had a ton of cool features for making tapes, such as fade in and fade out. It was so easy to program. I used it for a good dozen years or so. Then I bought the fantastic Marantz SA8003. Then I went on a vinyl binge about 3 years ago and switched to a DAC fed by my Bluray player due to space constraints.

I've returned to CD this year but I've found via swapping out components that my tube preamp imparts such a heavy character onto the sound, it doesn't matter as much which digital source I hook up to it, it all sounds tubey.

15. triple

triple Senior Member

Those must be unique to the US market.

Dave, Ignominious and richbdd01 like this.
  16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

heh! "disk"! My typing is getting worse!

richbdd01 likes this.
  17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Well, I was also going to warn you that you could end up with a nasty injury... :faint:

Grant likes this.
  18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Researching a new spinner now.

My Cambridge CXC does well, however I believe I can to better.
    Looking at the Moon Neo 260D and McIntosh MCT450 transports.

Fortunate to have a local dealer who will allow home demo of each.

Dave likes this.
  19. I've been using a Pioneer PD HL5 since 1999. Bought it (lightly) used. I was intrigued by the stable platter mechanism, it turned out to be much more than a gimmick. Still in use although it can be a bit picky about reading discs. It now takes a backseat to a Marantz CD6006.

[​IMG]

56GoldTop, PH416156, c-eling and 3 others like this.
  20. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

My friend was having "upgrade-itus" and I was the recipient of his hand-me-down Yamaha CD player. First Yamaha I've owned but a very nice player.

I use it mainly with my Cary and headphones. Lovely combination.....

[​IMG]

56GoldTop, Dave, Kristofa and 6 others like this.
  21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My first CD player, (when they first came out) was a Yamaha. Then I moved on to a DVD player, then I moved on to a Blu ray player, then I moved on to iTunes.

Shvartze Shabbos and Keith V like this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

What a nice friend! I am very happy with my Yamaha CD-S300. I previously owned a Yamaha Natural Sound 5 disc changer and loved the sound. And it lasted forever. So when it came time to replace it, I got the CD-S300. It costs about a fourth of what yours costs, so I am not sure how much it differs from yours.

23. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Are you are a serial downgrader?

Diamond Dog, LA2019, Dave and 4 others like this.
  24. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I own the Marantz SA-8005 and wonder how it compares to your Yamaha model. I think they are about the same price and seem to be the only direct competition at that level yet I've never read any comparisons between them.

25. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

My Ist CD player was the Marantz CD94 but heavily modified sounds superb and apart from a belt change is still going strong after approx 25 years, , however I now use the excellent Sony XA 5400ES both excellent CD & mch SACD but I will not know if it will last 25 years, I suspect not. I have heard nothing better at absurd prices and have absolutely no interest in streaming my music.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.