Tell me how to bi-wire(properly)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

I know it is debatable as to whether this offers anything extra...but trying it will do no harm:)
    A little confused....my amplifier has the capability to run two pairs of speakers,so I have one bank named "sp1",marked "L" , +/- and "R" +/-.This is what I currently use running one set of speaker cables from the amp to the speakers. I then have a further bank of inputs, "sp2"....again marked "L" +/- and "R" +/-.
    So how do I connect the leads properly to bi-wire? I know I have to remove the link between the speaker terminals...the rest has me a tad confused....grateful for any guidance!

2. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I'm assuming that your speakers have two sets of binding posts - One for tweeter (L+R) and the other for woofer (L+R)?

3. frimleygreener

That is indeed the case TB:)

4. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

5. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

Just getting rid of the factory B&W jumper plates alone should give you a nice increase in sound quality.

6. frimleygreener

Thanks for that...looks fairly straightforward and logical!

7. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Well, I assume that your amp is equipped to run either one pair of speakers or two pairs of speakers. This is slightly different than equipped for biwiring. The only difference is that you may have a "sp1/sp2/both" speaker switch. You'll have to make sure BOTH are selccted as ON.

Then run 4 independent lengths of speaker cables. This is one of a couple ways to biwire, and my personal favorite way.

8. frimleygreener

I do have said switch on the Arcam...and aware I have to deploy both if bi-wired...thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.