Ten Best Film Noir?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by smilin ed, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Cry Danger is at the top of my list. Used to be on Netflix streaming, but I see they dropped it. Looking around, I see it will be released on Blu Ray on Tues. It's $25.46, but only about $4 more than the DVD. I may get the Blu Ray. I'd thought it was sort of niche noir, but now Blu Ray treatment? Fine with me. Loved everything about this flick, including dialog, trailer court scenes, realistic shots of early '50s L.A., etc.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EL6A9CI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

2. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I'll take the 1946 version of "The Postman Always Rings Twice" over the later Nicholson version any day.
    One reason is that the second is in color, but also that Cecil Kellaway is very powerful in the scene where he tells Cora that she has to take care of his sister.
    Jovial to fiendish. (And Turner is good too in showing the horror she felt at the prospect.) Thanks to the two actors, I felt that horror too, & wasn't prepared for it when I first viewed it.

Johnny66 likes this.
  3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

This Gun For Hire.
    Murder, My Sweet.
    The Blue Dahlia.

4. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Altman's The Long Goodbye is my favorite.

5. Karnak

TCM has 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' on tonight.

Johnny66 and smilin ed like this.
  6. Karnak

These are all good.

My favorite 'neo-' is 'True Confessions'(1981). Did anyone else see this? Robert Duvall as the noir uh, hero. Loved it when I saw it on cable in the 80s. Haven't viewed it since then.

7. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

If you liked 'True Confessions', search out 'Straight Time'. It's not noir, but it's also directed by Ulu Grosbard.

zen archer and Karnak like this.
  8. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Anyone have an update on a re-release of this film beyond what I found below from a couple years ago? I'm a big Jane Greer fan (along with other lesser-known noir actresses such as Audrey Totter), and would like to see this movie.

http://www.noiroftheweek.com/2012/06/they-wont-believe-me-1947.html

Let's get the bad news out of the way first. TCM for all the good it does for classic films – airs a butchered version of the RKO noir They Won't Believe Me!

Instead of the 95 minutes watching a man behave badly we're stuck with a neutered lead not really doing anything all that wrong. The cut 80-minute one turns a top-shelf film noir into a watered-down flim flam. Cutting 15 minutes from a film can do that – especially if the cuts were designed to remove all the “immoral” decisions in it. Hell, the 80-minute cut should be shown before the full version to film students as a lesson on how a bad edit can ruin a film.

And I know this may annoy some – but the uncut version isn't easy to find and watch. Former home video releases of They Won't Believe Me! and even the fairly recent Italian DVD release of the noir are all 80 minutes (despite labels) – and they look like the same print TCM airs frequently. Even TCMs site lists the movie as running 95 minutes. Clock it when it airs tomorrow and you'll see what I mean. It ain't.

There is some hope for the rest: Noir fans at the Back Alley mention that the WB Archive wants to release the full version on DVD, but apparently they have some issues with the original print (as of right now). If they did release it it'd be one that would be snagged up by true film nuts. It's a film that would have fit perfectly on the (now apparently abandoned) WB Film Noir DVD box sets that they used to put out. It's a better movie than most of the ones they included on the last few sets.

9. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Terrific film, indeed. Dana Andrews was so great in noir.

Laura
    , Whirlpool, Fallen Angel and Where the Sidewalk Ends (luckily, all readily available on DVD) would make a great Preminger noir mini-marathon.

Moshe likes this.
  10. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

if I am not mistaken ..The Big Clock was later reworked as No Way Out with Kevin Costner & Gene Hackman . As luck would have it, I played a tape of The Big Clock just the other night. Seeing some of the 'film noir' examples here given.. there appears to be a great absence of the mention virtually anywhere for that matter -of many other classic films of the genre.
    Take William Holden and Nina Foch in The Dark Past....Barbara Stanwyck in Sorry Wrong Number..... the original (1946?) Spiral Staricase with Dorothy Mac Guire.... Alan Ladd in The Blue Dahlia... This Gun for Hire ....or Chicago Deadline. Ray Milland in Lost Weekend or (as the Devil) in Alias Nick Beal... Edward G. Robinson in The Night Has a Thousand Eyes.....Sterling Hayden & Dorothy Lamour in Manhandled... etc etc

alexpop likes this.
  11. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Wow! That use of that hideous relentless Zither instrument music! As a kid I heard a story of how a usherette at a big city theatre that ran The Third Man (around the late 40's ?) was alleged to have temperorily went a ' bit ga ga!' for a while -due to constant exposure to its 'noise'. In those days, succesful films ran at the same first release theatres for many weeks, even months, and a few - for years. How things have changed.
    P,S I read that book Beyond Belief when it was first released around the late 70's.. Yes. I agree, it depicts very sickening inhuman behaviour. Once read, a book -never forgotten...and one wishes - one could forget it..

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What this man says !

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

TCM showing two carol Reed / graham Greene flicks tomorrow, The Third Man and the Fallen Idol.

14. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Lady In The Lake.

15. It's coming to Blu-ray from Kino.

Karnak likes this.
  16. I'd add Cutter's Way which has, sadly, not appeared on Blu-ray yet but received a decent DVD release.

smilin ed likes this.
  17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member Thread Starter

Great film!

18. Another fav is Arthur Penn's "Night a moves" with Gene Hackman. Marvelous
    Understated neo noir with some great performances.

smilin ed likes this.
  19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member Thread Starter

20. Just came out n Blu-ray.

Plinko likes this.
  21. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I would have to add HIS KIND OF WOMAN. Those that know it may say it isn't 'strictly' noir, but that's a decision made in hindsight, thinking like a critic. It has a few of what are now genre cliches, however it adds a few new wrinkles. It is entertaining and has Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell and Vincent Price in it. Reading about the making of the film in the book 'BABY, I DON'T CARE' by Lee Server, which is about Robert Mitchum, helped me to appreciate it even more. Hope you manage to check it out !

22. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

You know what my biggest problem with a lot of noir is? I watch them, I love them, but a month later I can't match the title to the movie....

Sometimes I read a title here and I think, 'Which one was that again?' and sometimes I think I haven't seen a movie when in fact I have.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  23. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Thanks for letting me know. I will certainly be getting this.

24. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

01. Mulholland Drive
    02. Double Indemnity
    03. Rififi
    04. La Diabolique
    05. Point Blank
    06. The Killers
    07. The Third Man
    08. The Killing
    09. A Touch Of Evil
    10. Chinatown

25. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Dead men don't wear plaid with Steve Martin. It's a greatest hits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.