Terminator (1984) with original mono audio track?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Time Is On My Side, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know where this can be gotten? It seems that on all of the Blu-ray versions, they messed up the sound effects. I remember having an old VHS copy that had the correct sounds. But any DVD or Blu-ray I find does not contain the original mono track.

2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Stay away from the Thorn-EMI-HBO version and the Hemdale Home Entertainment version. The Former has the film sped-up just to fit everything onto a T-105 tape, and the latter is remixed Stereo. Also, the former is missing the Orion logo, and the latter has it plastered with the late 80's Hemdale logo.

Your best bets are either the early 2000's MGM DVD (it has the Orion logo and original mono soundtrack), a 16mm copy, or a 35mm copy. It also aired on HBO back in 1986, and when it did, that print kept the Orion logo. Don't know if it was in its correct speed or not (it should be 108 minutes, not 105).

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. Time Is On My Side

So I have been scouring some forums, and I see that the "2001 MGM Special Edition DVD" has the mono track with the correct sound effects? Can you confirm this? It doesn't look very expensive if I eBay for it. Is this the one you mean by "early 200's MGM DVD"? I'm not sure why that track wasn't just kept for the sake of preservation. Does it really take up that much space on a Blu-ray or even a DVD that they couldn't keep it on all copies?

dbsea and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  4. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Time Is On My Side likes this.
  5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Terminator: SE

Above is a review that confirms that the original mono is included on the special edition DVD.

Time Is On My Side likes this.
  6. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

I don't think any official HD version has the mono, but if you search around, you may be able to find a high-res pcm rip/capture of the LaserDisc mono, which is supposedly better than the DVD mono, to mux with the HD video. Why anyone should have to bother and they can't just give us the original mono, I don't know. Maybe for the 35th anniversary?

7. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Yep, the old SE dvd. I pretty much kept it for that reason.

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I find it pretty bizarre that they were using a mono track in 1984. Was there a reason given by Cameron or anyone else?

Veronica Mars likes this.
  9. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Yes, according to him there was no money for a stereo or multichannel Dolby Stereo track.
    I've never listened to the original mono track of Terminator only the 5.1 multichannel mix on the 2013 restored Blu ray, are they so different? Have a lot of sound efects have been added on the 5.1 mix that were not on the original mono mix? I think being originally sourced from a mono soundtrack the 5.1 mix sounds great.

Scowl, Strat-Mangler and hvbias like this.
  10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks. In hindsight it is sort of amusing to think of a Terminator movie that didn't have a high enough budget for a modern audio track. I should rewatch this again, it has probably been at least 15 years.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think the budget was around $6.5 million, that's very lean even in 1984 dollars for a sci-fi/action movie.

hvbias likes this.
  12. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Orion thought Terminator was a crap film and they punished Cameron by not giving him the 57 000 $ he needed to do the mix in stereo.
    The SE DVD as well as the Image DVD have the mono. Image is the superior release in both PQ and sound.

If you're into this, you can track down a LD rip of the mono that is synced to the current BD you would have to mux it back either in an mkv or a M2TS file to reburn it for BD playing.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Laserdisc is the only way to go.

JCRW and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I meant in comparison to how huge the franchise has become since then.

Deuce66 likes this.
  15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Just to confirm what's already been said. The SE has the mono track. Though mine is dated 2003 not 2001. Its probably just a reprint.

Here's a quick pic I took of my copy to confirm the mono track is present.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  16. Time Is On My Side

I got that exact DVD. It's not mono. It's stereo but has the original sound effects. Anyone else notice the shotgun sound effect is wrong at parts?

17. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Mine has green hologram cover.. made in 2001 it does have mono track.
    The poster above has newer version it may or may not have mono track?

18. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

You have to choose the mono option from the "languages" menu

crissrudd4554 likes this.
  19. clamcakes

clamcakes New Member

When they made the 5.1 mix they used the original dialogue recording and cut out all the parts where people weren't talking... but they didn't realize that there were several sound effects that were also recorded on that track. The most obvious omission is the metal-scraping sound during the title sequence as the letters are passing over each other. And then there's the two scenes where the terminator is firing his .45 at the first Sarah and then at Ginger. If you listen to the 5.1 version it sounds like he's firing some sort of silenced pistol, but if you listen to the mono audio it sounds like a cannon. A lot of the gun sounds in the police station are different as well, and the music at the end of the film has been rerecorded.

CusBlues and hvbias like this.
  20. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I have a laserdisc copy with the mono soundtrack. You want a rip?

You'll have to sync it yourself.

21. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Thanks to this thread, I ended up buying a copy of the se DVD back in may. It was pretty cheap from an Amazon seller. This forum is always a great source of info.

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The 2013 remaster looks fantastic on my big screen and the surround remix worked for me. The original mono is omitted and, while I wouldn't bother with it, it should have been included. Fingers crossed for the UHD/4K someday!

Anyhow, is the trade off on image quality worth it?

23. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

It really depends on screen size, viewing distance, and general pickiness, I guess. I watched the SE DVD on a 50 inch screen from about 10 feet away and thought it looked good for what it is. The transfer seems solid and I didn't notice any artifacts such as macroblocking, mosquito noise, or ringing, though a DVD will never have the level of detail of a Blu Ray.

For me, the trade off is worth it since I have a high tolerance for SD content and really enjoyed the visceral feeling I got from the mono soundtrack.

24. crissrudd4554

crissrudd4554 Well-Known Member

Just my two cents but the best source for the mono would be the Image Entertainment DVD or LD. The mono included on the MGM DVD releases is ok too but the gun shots are much louder on the Image release. Keep in mind though the Image release is in non-anamorphic widescreen and as someone mentioned earlier replaces the Orion logo with the Hemdale logo. Also the Image release has no extras aside from a trailer while the MGM DVD has a nice selection of extras, some of which weren’t even carried over to the BD release.

Another thing. The mono mix on the Image release differs from the mono on the MGM release. One will feature something the other hasn’t or vice versa.

25. dmk1198

dmk1198 New Member

Hi, could I trouble you for this rip please? Thank you so much in advance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.