Thank You Janie Hendrix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Yes Jimi Hendrix did edit stuff but it was his to edit, his creations. EH doing it is wrong they did not compose, perform or record the songs, that is the difference, they should not be messing with Jimi Hendrix's art !!!

Purple Jim likes this.
  2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Yep, totally agree :) But it is a legendary title now :p

JeffMo likes this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The VoN title track was created from a spring 1970 backing track and fall 1969 vocal.

4. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

so as long as you know this upfront what's the problem?

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

If you've heard both versions, it just doesn't work. First of all, they were at different tempos, so they had to manipulate the vocal to make it fit the faster tempo of the '69 version. The overall effect is quite jarring if you've heard the individual versions. It's a shame, too, as VoN is a great song IMO. I'd have preferred the version from '69 have been used but there have been stories over the years that the tapes were not of high enough quality to release (edit; there was no bass recorded...I looked it up again). Alan Douglas used a nearly complete version on Lifelines if you're wondering what it sounds like.

Also, I don't think they were very "up front" about it at all. The liner notes are pretty clear about the multiple versions recorded for this song, but when the LP first came out, they were touting it as this lost Hendrix song. I don't think they were directly addressing the fact that this was a Frankenstein job on the standard promotional circuit.

Another edit: PacificOceanBlue is correct. The liner notes do mention that different attempts at the song were made between late '69 and '70, however it does not clearly detail that Kramer created a "finished" version by combining parts of multiple versions and which parts were used from each date.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don't like it and it was truly unnecessary. The 1969 version that the vocal comes from has an incredible backing by Hendrix with some fantastic playing. Hendrix never came close to finishing this song. EH goes down Alan Douglas avenue to "finish" the song and presents it in a disingenuous manner -- it isn't as if the liner notes explained what was done. VoN and PH&A are filled with a wide-range of Frankenstein creations, rather than historically accurate, natural recordings. That said, there are a few redeeming tracks on both releases, but in general, both are poorly executed, misguided compilations.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

As I said a long, long time ago on my site, the practice of tarting up and deforming Jimi's rough jams is akin to taking sketches by a great artist, applying paint and trying to pass them off as finished works. It's an ethical crime.

8. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

:-popcorn::-popcorn::-popcorn:

the beave

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

What Janie and the labels can't grasp is that as an artist, Jimi is closer to a John Coltrane than a Ted Nugent.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I really don't get all of the antipathy for ZFT. Given how extensive and convoluted Frank's discography is, I think that they've done a great job overall. The last batch of remasters were mainly excellent. We've gotten some great Project/Object releases (though I'd certainly welcome more), plenty of great live releases, outtakes, etc. Hardcore fans can be difficult to satisfy and we can't always get everything we want, but I think they've done well by his unusual legacy.

11. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

What is the 1969 version available on ?
    Thanks for the info.

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

This thread title seems really strange to me. I'm not sure why we would single out Janie for praise any more than we would target her for blame on any of the issues raised in this thread. Aren't Kramer/McDermott just as worthy of praise and scorn?

Someone upthread asked what they would have liked to have seen differently in the posthumous releases. I would have liked the various sessions grouped together and released (e.g. Fall '68, Spring '69, etc) rather than the Frankenstein approach to creating "new" releases like VoN and PHA.

Yes, I'm aware we can all make our own playlists or cdrs, but that is how I would have liked the archived material released. Maybe they can do that in the future next time the core catalog gets reissued (and let's hope for a proper remastering too).

dino77 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would say they at the least they need to group the Experience material together, the BOG material together and the later material together even if they don't release complete sessions.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  14. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Mostly just a lie.

15. Carl Swanson

Maybe the L.A. Times got permission, or maybe they have an exemption as a news outlet.

16. Carl Swanson

Don't bet the farm on it. There's a lot of recent law that gives entertainers the right to control their images.

17. Carl Swanson

Nuge sells better than Trane . . . or at least, he used to . . .

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

That is just plain sad.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  19. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I have owned First Rays and South Saturn for many years, and I never once thought there was a problem with them. They sound great to me. I like a little bit of sparkle to my discs. I get mad if they sound muffled.

Carserguev likes this.
  20. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

We should take everything Janie has done with a mixed blessing approach. It it wasn't for her, then I'm certain a decent chunk of the stuff would have been heard by us, even in bootleg form. Even it it was, I'm sure some of you would never have bought it or even downloaded the material.

That being said, she could have done a better job with some of the releases. I have no problem with what has been released. I have at least a cd of most
    releases. (still trying to find the winterland cd box set in the wild!) Some of the material might have worked better if it were put on other releases, and I never listened to the interviews on the dagger releases. Thank the heavens for the tapers, otherwise we wouldn't have some of the Dagger releases.
    I'm sure some of you never owned a few of those shows, let alone listened to them, as it would have meant buying or downloading the material.

I wish more energy was put into getting out the RAH shows.

21. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Yes, that has occurred to me, and if they changed it because the material had been released on the purple box they made a grave error. First timers aren't going to buy a huge box set, but In The West as originally conceived would create plenty of consumers willing to plunk down for a full box...and they wouldn't be disappointed at getting the same Red House etc. either. They'd just play it loud.

I certainly feel this way about the new In The West, and any number of other albums, by many artists now that I think about it. But really, we can't force kids to pick the "right" album for their first taste, we just have to hope for the best. Otherwise nothing else could ever come out. "Sorry, Bob, we have to leave shelf space for Blonde on Blonde" :laugh:

22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Current status: When Hell thaws after the freeze, the Cleveland Browns make the playoffs or Arsenal wins the European Cup. (yeah, I had to do my research)

vinyldreams likes this.
  23. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

24. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I think EH have done very well. There have been a few releases that seemed a bit odd, but I just ignore those & treasure the good ones. I wish they would have focused a bit more on certain eras with individual releases instead of compiling the purple box and west coast Seattle boy, but at least we get to enjoy the music, and can compile our own mess of tunes if we want.

25. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

I loved West Coast Seattle Boy and thought it was beautifully designed and presented. The historical material on it is priceless and to have it in one spot like that. I think EH has been tremendous for Jimi and his legacy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.