Thank You Janie Hendrix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

"Captain Coconut" was not Alan Douglas' creation. It was created under Eddie Kramer's supervision by assistant engineer John Jansen in 1971. All Douglas did was replace the drum track.

Moonbeam Skies and Piiijiii like this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Jansen put it together as a proposition for the Rainbow Bridge soundtrack. According to the book "Setting The Record Straight", Kramer discovered what he was doing and told him to pack it in. It was shelved, then Dougie came across it and finished it off. :rolleyes:

dino77 likes this.
  3. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

More like this

[​IMG]

Headfone likes this.
  4. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

It's impossible to miss.

5. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

They should have destroyed the thing if they were so unhappy with it :). Having said that, I have always kind of liked it :hide:. Now, if EH could just dig up that solo flamenco intro and release it somewhere.

KipB likes this.
  6. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

The sister of an entertainer, 45 years dead, at a public event? Unless the image is used for profit or to defame, I see no basis. And in any case, I see no point.

7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

That flamenco bit IS pretty sweet :righton:.

dino77 likes this.
  8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Did you go to law school?

9. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This sucker.

Still, Jimi gets in some great blues licks in the track known as "Monday Morning Blues".

Jimi Bat and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It would be nice to see Dagger get a jumpstart. The label fizzled out, likely due to weak sales and financial losses or other financial considerations. Still, some of the best archival Hendrix material ever issued was released via Dagger.

shepherdfan, Purple Jim and kanakaris like this.
  11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I wonder if it had more to do with the move to Sony or perhaps saving material for more mainstream releases? They have released a tape of Cologne '69 since the move to Sony but that was vinyl only? Perhaps the margins are better on vinyl these days? All pure speculation on my part of course.

12. fanMan

fanMan New Member

Setting the record straight: 'sister-Jane' has ZERO genes in common with Jimi - she's a fake snake sister if there ever was one - in fact: me being male - I have more genetic bonds to Jimi (via the xy-gene) than she could ever dream of! So in my humble family opinion, I would suggest the following approach to brother Jimi's legacy

- 1: originals are holy! & not to be changed by anybody!
    - 2: prepare high resolution lossless digital transfers of his lifetime records from the most original mastermixes as true 1-to-1 copies, because this is genius' material. Make these treasures available to the fans!!!
    - 3: transfer all raw tape tracks similarily and make them available to the fans
    - 4: play around with the tracks etc and issue the stuff if you dare
    -5: spike 'sister-Jane' with diet acid and watch her dissolve in eternal bliss

Best from little miss lover :)

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is hard to know (incidentally, the Cologne '69 show was subsequently released on CD). There are hours and hours of studio reels in the archives, certainly the idea of "saving" material is not necessary. Releasing a CD of jams/instrumental outtakes like Burning Desire is not going to purge the vaults, or even make much of a dent, particularly considering little of that sort of material is issued on mainstream releases. If we are going to speculate, I would suggest that Dagger loses money. The litigation between Janie and Leon revealed that EH lost more money than it made during its first 10 years in operation, perhaps EH has decided to try to cut losses by curbing its release of material on Dagger.

shepherdfan and jhm like this.
  14. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Then let Dagger release in flac downloads.Much cheaper for everyone , no?

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

That would make sense, though some of the target audience for these kinds of releases tends to be anti-download.

parman likes this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I've seen no evidence of that. I've never seen them do a notable price break on the Daggers, when EH has blown out lots of other merch items that needed to be cleared out. There's been multiple pressings of the CDs as the tiny print labels have changed a bit over the years.

Keep in mind Dagger was big labels allowing EH their own exclusive Hendrix mail order releases where none of the money went to the label. It may have been harder to negotiate those $30-50(?)million dollar 10 year exclusive licenses from big labels while allowing EH those side releases.

17. Efus

Efus Senior Member

They did a few years back (3-4?) for awhile.
    Picked up Baggy's and Burning Desire for like 8 bucks a piece. They were sold out of another I had tried to buy.

18. SoundAdvice

Would they have to blow through the stock with the old label on it and print new ones?

19. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Couldn't answer that, though I could check the labels of the 2 Daggers I purchased.
    It was a matter of being in the right place, right time, and I was pretty surprised I got the deal on them.

20. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

This thread pushed me to listed to all eight LP's in the Purple Box. I forgot how great this collection is, and the sound is up there. In fact, it may be the best I've heard on a compilation set of songs from JH.

21. SoundAdvice

I know they've done black Friday or christmas promotions on the Daggers but couldn't remember the savings.

I have them all on CD except Cologne, for whatever reason they nail Canadians on shipping so I wait to order a couple at a time.

22. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Hard to remember, but I think it was in the fall.
    8 bucks a piece, and like $5 to ship the 2 cds.

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

24. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Really? Or is this something your simply throwing into the mixing pot of opinion?

25. SoundAdvice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.