Thank you Thomas Edison!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikePh, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man Thread Starter

On this day in 1877, Thomas Edison cuts the first "record" when he records the words, "Mary had a
    little lamb" onto his phonograph in Menlo Park, New Jersey...

The phonograph was developed as a result of Thomas Edison's work on two other inventions, the telegraph and the telephone. Edison had been working on a machine that would transcribe telegraphic messages through indentations on paper tape, which could later be sent over the telegraph repeatedly. This development led Edison to speculate that a telephone message could also be recorded in a similar fashion. He experimented with a diaphragm which had an embossing point and was held against rapidly-moving paraffin paper. The speaking vibrations made indentations in the paper. Edison later changed the paper to a metal cylinder with tin foil wrapped around it. The machine had two diaphragm-and-needle units, one for recording, and one for playback. When one would speak into a mouthpiece, the sound vibrations would be indented onto the cylinder by the recording needle in a vertical (or hill and dale) groove pattern. Edison gave a sketch of the machine to his mechanic, John Kreusi, to build, which Kreusi supposedly did within 30 hours. Edison immediately tested the machine by speaking the nursery rhyme into the mouthpiece, "Mary had a little lamb." To his amazement, the machine played his words back to him.

The Edison Phonograph Company was later formed to market Edison's machine. He introduced the Improved Phonograph by May of 1888, shortly followed by the Perfected Phonograph. The first wax cylinders Edison used were white and made of ceresin, beeswax, and stearic wax.

A New Jersey-ite to be proud of!!!

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I remember visiting the Edison museum in Florida in the mid 70's and looking at the display of his original wax cylinders and thinking to myself, this is where it really all began.

Pretty cool when you think about it.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Forum member FATHER MacKENZIE's father had a "gold key" which means he could visit the Edison lab whenever he wanted to. Either his grandfather or great-grandfather actually worked for Edison. That is totally cool!

5. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

bahhh... Tesla is the man... ;)

hehehehe

6. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

wow, that is cool!

now, I wish I had the key's to Tesla's brain, nevermind his museum... :righton:

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

A lot of the old short Edison films and Diamond Discs still provide an interesting into America at the turn of the century. Edison was fiesty, wasn't he? I guess you'd have to be to perfect the light bulb and the phonograph.

www.tinfoil.com has the earliest known playable recording - The "talking clock" by Lambert, a recording on lead! 1878!

http://www.tinfoil.com/cm-0101.htm

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That was neat; never heard that before! 1878, 126 years ago! Wowie.

9. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

That's funny- kidding aside, I always think of Tesla when Edison is mentioned.. they sort of go together in my mind. Between the two they're very much responsible for us having stuff to discuss in here today ;).

10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I wish Edison invented the SACD. It would have saved us all the headache inbetween.

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

12. boead

boead New Member

In 1862 Edison saved, from otherwise certain death in a train accident, the young son of J. U. Mackenzie, station agent at Mount Clemens, Mich. In gratitude, the child's father taught him telegraphy. Edison was 15 years old.

http://www.thomasedison.com/Inventions.htm

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Tesla - AC
    Edison - DC

14. boead

boead New Member

15. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Tesla, was a true genius. His dream, tho, of power being transmitted without wires, never became a reality. The truth is that it was too dangerous to human and animal life to do it that way.

16. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

oh man, thank you for agreeing with me on that!!! any chance I have, I always attempt to educate people about the importance of Tesla... sadly, most people have no idea of his absolute importance to mankind.

:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.