That Thing You Do - Director's Cut

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JerolW, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member Thread Starter

Starz has been showing this version lately. FYI.

jerol

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have the DVD it's one of my all time favorites! Sure puts you in the mood...a must see for every musician that played in a band!

They nailed it with this one...:thumbsup:

Dave likes this.
  3. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Just watched it again the other night. Good movie, but it's a bit too light for me. The kids weren't really that nice at the time.

4. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Uncropped, or cropped to 4:3? They show it uncroppend on Fox movie channel. This is still one of my favorite films.

5. Absolutely one of my favourite rock films.
    IMO this really captures the mood of the times...

GREAT STUFF! :righton::thumbsup:

6. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm sure some were.

7. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I rented this 2-DVD set with the director's cut a while ago.

I never saw the film when it was first released, but I loved it!

That title track was catchy and Liv Tyler was a real sweetie in this movie.

I really enjoyed it (and this forum spurred me on to finally see it so I'm grateful!)

8. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Tone, If you want to see a similar movie but with an edge, look for "Still Crazy"
    It's about a band reforming in their forties to relive their glory years. I really liked it a lot. It has a few real funny moments and the songs are pretty good too. Billy Connolly plays the band's roadie. :)
    You can view a trailer at this link.
    http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1871380761/

9. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I like "That Thing You Do" fine.

It's more that 1990s idealisitc-sweet movie style that has not dated well for me....... A buch of stuff from that period I can hardly watch.

But one thing's for sure, you can not take your eyes off of Liv Tyler! A more lovely image has rarely graced the screen than her in TTYD.

10. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Indeed.

Chris

11. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

So is there added footage on the director cut?

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes - tons of it. The Extended Cut lasts an extra 42 minutes!

It's fun to see, but I think the theatrical cut works better - the EC is too much of a good thing. My review has details about the changes:

http://www.dvdmg.com/thatthingyoudodc.shtml

13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

14. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Thanks.

I'll probably pick up a copy some day. OTOH, I did get the extended cut of 'Amadeus' and I was very dissapointed with the extra footage. Perhaps had I seen it that way the first time I'd feel differently. Hard to admit I didn't like seeing his wife disrobe, (actually I did :D) but it seemed to be out of place to me.

15. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I was in my mid teens when this movie was taken place, in 1965. I think they movie depicted how kids from small towns were, at that time, or at least me and the kids that were my friends. This is a great movie and it really takes me back to those times.

16. Tone

Tone Senior Member

And then a few years earlier, there's John Lennon playing the Red Light district in Hamburg with a toilet seat around his neck. :D

17. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

i had no idea there was a director's cut of this, with more footage....guess what i have to get now!!!

i love this movie...... i love the song, and i enjoyed the acting of Tom Everett Scott and Liv Tyler....... Scott had apparently learned how to play drums for the film and i think he pulled it off well....

18. Michael

they all had to learn the instruments...

they pulled it off with flying colors.:)

19. Oatsdad

And the best thing about the DVD is that it includes both the theatrical AND the extended cuts. Like I mentioned, I don't think the EC works nearly as well as the shorter version; I like being able to see the EC, but I'll probably never again watch it in its entirety. It's great that the set includes the shorter cut as well so we have the choice... :righton:

20. Michael

I wouldn't mind more footage! love this movie that much.:)

21. Oatsdad

I love it too, but I just don't like the footage IN the movie. "TTYD" doesn't benefit from the extra running time. It's a light, peppy movie; taking it to nearly two and a half hours makes its pace slow. I don't want to say more because I want avoid spoilers for those who've not seen the longer cut - my review will spoil all, if you want! :D - but I think the pacing of the theatrical cut is way better.

Hanks cut that footage for a good reason. It's very cool to see - I just don't think it helps the movie, and it usually HURTS the flick... :shrug:

22. Michael

I was referring to me personally...I understand where you are coming from...:righton:

23. Oatsdad

Man, you've read my site enough to know that there are no opinions other than mine! :laugh:

24. Michael

Indeed!
    what else would one expect from a critic?
    :laugh:

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Well I bet Charlize Theron was mad about the final cut!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.