The $150 Orbit Turntable from U-Turn Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Pick your answer:

It's a fad, like the intra-web.
    Only for the true die-hards.
    Euphonic distortions that are appealing to human ears.
    Can't roll a joint on an IPod. (credit to Shelby Lynne).
    It's all about ritual and tactile pleasure.

or,
    It sounds good, I don't mind putting up with the trouble and it's fun.

Your choice. :)

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The "intra-web?"

Oh no, I must be losing my hipster status!

3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Does anyone have any experience with these Orbit tables? I'm planning on doing a short documentary video on turntables (a "sequel" to "Vinyl Records Get Their Groove Back" ) and would like to show a range starting with the Orbit or Pro-ject Carbon or Rega RP1.

Thanks!

Blue Collar Man likes this.
  4. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/u-turn-audio-orbit-turntable-reviews.331957/

A few people in this thread bought an Orbit.

5. j.t.k.

j.t.k. Senior Member

I've got an Orbit...

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

U-Turn's factory is a few hours away from you, in Woburn, MA. Why not contact them about your documentary? I bet they'll jump at the chance for some promo.

mikeyt likes this.
  7. Jerry

Cool! How do you like it? Which model and what cartridge? Is this your first turntable?

Wow, didn't know that. That might be too far to go since I have virtually no budget, just like my last video. I'm hoping to find people within 90 minutes of me with turntables of interest from low budget to audiophile that would show off their players.

8. j.t.k.

j.t.k. Senior Member

I like it. It seems to work well and doesn't do anything weird or unexpected. I have the Plus with an Ortofon OM5E (the Kickstarter package). It's not my first turntable... I had a couple in the 70s and 80s (nothing special), a Dual CS-455 for a couple years (I think 1999-2002?) that I sold when I moved into a smaller place, and I still have an Audio Technica AT-LP240 that I got 2 years ago, that is not a good turntable (impressive looks, but poor build quality and is slightly slow).

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I don't know where in CT you are exactly, but you're welcome to come to Lexington, MA and shoot my TD-124! :)

Of course, I'm not that much closer than Woburn.

10. Jerry

That's great to hear. I'd love to hear an Orbit up against the Rega and the Pro-ject Debut entry-level tables. The specs look very impressive on the Orbit. I'm glad you like it! Thanks for the response. Jerry

11. Jerry

I work out of Seymour CT, which is near New Haven. I think my boss will nix any travel longer than 90 minutes, and even that's pushing it! But I'll keep you in mind if we can piggyback with a shoot in your area. We occasionally come up to Norwell for company meetings.

action pact likes this.
  12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

mdm08033 likes this.
  13. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I had one but returned it. Luckily I live close enough to their factory to simply drive it back.
    Something about it just did not resonate with me. I hate to say it, but I think a lot of it had to do with the dust cover they're using! It just seemed insubstantial and off-putting for some reason. I know, I know, it's not an integral part of the turntable, and it's not an auditory response, but a tactile one. What can I say, it soured my experience. The sound was fine, but I just did not feel that I was enjoying the experience of using it. YMMV.

14. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

It's an entry-level turntable. A better dust cover would not be appreciated by much of the target audience, and might have added $10 or more to the final price. They put the money where it matters.

15. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Yes, I know that, but I still feel silly for dismissing it (at least partially) on that criteria.

16. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

So how is the documentary coming along? I am curious to see it. If I had known about the U-Turn 3 years ago I probably would've bought one but I have been quite happy with my AT-LP120.

17. Jerry

Pushed to the back burner due to heavy work load with other projects. But I still hope to do it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.