The 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY Soundtrack Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HGN2001, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I'm sure. Kubrick should've given him a heads up. Still, it was the right call. No film ever married image and music better.

This is one of the best examples:

Lewisboogie and MLutthans like this.
  2. peelaaa

peelaaa Forum Resident

I have been lucky enough to have seen this movie in the full 70mm projection. It looks and sounds great

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  3. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Checking the various clips on Youtube of "2001" scenes with the Alex North music, I think Kubrick was right in his choice. North's music is nice, but has not nearly the same emotional impact as Strauss (Johann and Richard) and Ligeti. Of course not telling North about it was brutal.

2001: A Space Odyssey (score) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

IronWaffle likes this.
  4. agn

agn Forum Resident

Me too. I saw the Cinerama version at the St. George Theater on Staten Island back when it was released.

5. agn

agn Forum Resident

Agreed. It was bad form for Kubrick to not have given him a heads up but I must say it is typical. North did the score for Spartacus too BTW.

6. Fastnbulbous

Kubrick prolly would've replaced that s/t too if he had control over the project.:cool: He basically disowned the film as a gun-for-hire job thanks to Kirk Douglas.

7. Fastnbulbous

I saw 2001 at the Uptown in Washington DC (where it premiered) in 2001, a month after the terror attacks. They even installed the Cinerama screen for the event. Alas, the print and sound were atrocious, but it was fun sitting in an actual theater balcony.

agn likes this.
  8. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

The Mondo release of Alex North's 2001 A Space Odyssey on vinyl is excellent! And gorgeous packaging! The jacket folds out to represent the shiny "Monolith."

[​IMG]

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Well...that deeply-curved screen has been continuously in place there since 1962, but still....an awesome place to see a show! You are lucky to have seen it there.
    [​IMG]

IronWaffle likes this.
  10. agn

agn Forum Resident

I run the New Jersey Film Festival and we did a 25th anniversary screening of 2001 in 2003 and we must have screened the same print as it was in terrible shape.

ytserush likes this.
  11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Slightly off topic, is there a good 70mm print of 2001 in circulation?

12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

An Amazon reviewer of the Rhino CD (here) noted the Jupiter segment was edited. I assume that was done to accommodate the bonus tracks and to avoid a 2nd CD (putting the disc into CDBurnerXP to make a copy shows a run time of 79:14). I've never played this against my DVD of the film, so I don't know how much was lost.

So this particular CD is not quite the complete soundtrack but should we say it's 80-90% there?

13. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Just did an Amazon search, under 'CD's and Vinyl' for '2001: A Space Odyssey'. The results list is pretty impressive just for the sheer number of variations of this soundtrack. Interestingly this list includes what appears to be a variation of the 1996 Rhino, now on Sony Australia (and cheap too!)

14. agn

agn Forum Resident

Not in circulation.

15. agn

agn Forum Resident

Agreed really bad form to do what he did. Kubrick was notorious for doing this kind of thing.

16. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Did you obtain the same print that the Museum of the Moving Image screened last summer?

17. agn

agn Forum Resident

No we screened a 35mm back in 1993 for the 25th anniversary and it looked like ****. Did you see the 7omm there? Supposed to be from Warner Brothers Classics. Not sure what it looked like but they screened it in 2014 in 70mm as well. Prior to that on DCP...

18. agn

agn Forum Resident

American Cinematheque now has the rights I guess:
    American Cinematheque debuts new 70-mm print of '2001: A Space Odyssey' »

19. agn

agn Forum Resident

I saw it in Panavision 70mm back in 1968 with the curved screen. Warner's has an exclusive 70mm print out now but it is exclusive.

20. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

This thread was very helpful as I've only had the original 1986 CD release (which I purchased in 1987) that replicated the original 8-track LP release.

[​IMG]

https://www.discogs.com/Various-200...The-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/release/4665863

And I've always been a bit dissatisfied with it so the 1996 Rhino release sounded like it was right up my alley. Picked up a used copy on Amazon and I'm very pleased with it. Thanks!

:thumbsup:

21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

That MCA version was a mess. They used the wrong cover art (Volume 2!), and the audio was muddy. But it was one of my first purchases too.

That title had come out on LP, and I actually bought it thinking it was a genuine Volume 2, which I'd always meant to pick up as a curiosity. ("Music Inspired by...") With CDs being the next new format, they simply ported it over to Compact Disc, wrong cover and all.

22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I showed up with my new membership card, but didn't know that the screening sold out in advance. I spent the sfternoon playing video games and taking in the museum with my children. Then we went over to the Queens Museum for the final day of the Ramones exhibit. I did take Matthew back to see the 70mm prints of Spartacus. Then brought both children to see the 70mm Hamlet. I'll be sure to secure advance seats for 2001 the next time it's scheduled.

agn likes this.
  23. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Arhg, this quote kills me, "...American Cinematheque will have exclusive exhibition rights to in a five-year deal with Warner Brothers."

Really, one theater in the United States has a lock on the print. That bites. I'm willing to travel 90 miles north to NYC, but getting on a jet to see a movie. notgonnahappen.com

24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

That is exclusive rights to the PRINT, and it is not the only 70mm print -- not even the only NEW 70mm print. Basically, it means that that print will not be making the rounds and getting thrashed. If it does get thrashed, blame the American Cinematheque -- but they take excellent care of things, and use a beautiful pair of DP70s for 70mm projection, at least at the Egyptian. (I've never been to the Aero.) They are also not the only theatre in the US to (essentially) own their own 2001 print for exclusive use.

To me, the sad part is that the print is slated to play at the WRONG two theatres! The film has a long, long history of being produced for Cinerama and playing in Los Angeles at the Warner Pacific Cinerama (original run) and similarly-appointed (screen-wise) Pacific Cinerama Dome. That's where it belongs, not at the Egyptian.

hvbias, IronWaffle and TeacFan like this.
  25. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Well I hope that the MOMI gets a nice print OR someone springs for a new 4K or 8k scan with Dolby Vision high dynamic range encoding. My son who has been bitten by the big screen bug refuses to watch 2001 on home Blu-ray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.