The 2017 Academy Awards thread (2016 films)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It was pretty awesome. :agree:

MikaelaArsenault and spewey like this.
  2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

It is indeed a slooow movie but highly rewarding; of course its plot meaning it can't be discussed here but those issues aside, everything: direction, editing, actors' performances, screenplay, sound, cinematography it of the highest quality.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Chicago" got BP not that long ago.

I think Hollywood likes to tout "the return of the musical". "LLL" is a hit and heavily praised - I wouldn't count it out at all!

4. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

I thought the first hour was the best half of a movie I saw all year; it was the next hour and a half that was a slog.

5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

ah that one was a lot of fun and certainly much better than some of the politically correct crap that inevitably made it to the final stage of the nominations

Dudley Morris and spewey like this.
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not sure it's the same kind of ordeal -- I get the impression Silence is the kind of movie where people sit around for long stretches and nothing happens.

7. Monosterio

That might be right -- I thought it was the opposite for some reason. And, as I said before, I haven't seen it.

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

There's a lot less of that here than there was in 'The Age Of Innocence.' It's certrainly not trying to compete with 'GoodFellas' or 'Wolf Of Wall Street', though.

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Revenant was actually a solid vengeance/action film that some marketing geniuses were able to disguise as a sublime "auteur" film. It was entertaining and deserved its success, no doubt about it, even if the leading character was so strong that wouldn't have been out of place into a superhero movie.

I re-read the list, no nominations for "Deadpool"? Visual effects, screenplay and cinematography were terrific.

10. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Glad to see some Oscar love for Kubo and the Two Strings.

johnnyyen likes this.
  11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I haven't seen all the animated films in the final 5 but one would expect Pixar to be in the list :)
    At this point, The Red Turtle might get the award. It has two Disney movies to fight, but votes may be split between Zootropolis and Oceania

12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'm a bit puzzled by Meryl Streep's nomination. I didn't see the film, but based on the trailer it just looked like Meryl Streep being Meryl Streep. Nothing about the performance looked particularly remarkable. At this point it almost seems like a gimmick they're keeping up to always nominate her.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Interesting looking movie

14. Monosterio

I agree. On this particular occasion, I would have nominated Amy Adams and Annette Bening before her. There may be others.

15. Oatsdad

Yeah, it's always a surprise when a Pixar doesn't make the Best Animated Feature cut.

I wanna say "Cars 2" was the first one that failed to get a nomination. Not sure if any Pixars since - other than "Dory" - didn't get a nom...

16. Oatsdad

Not sure what you mean by "Meryl Streep being Meryl Streep". That she played herself? :confused:

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Was "The Good Dinosaur" nominated last year?

18. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

No, more that it just looked like what qualifies at this point as a pretty typical, run-of-the-mill Streep performance. It didn't look challenging or like she was pushing her boundaries in any way.

19. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Mel Gibson deserves an Oscar.

20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I'd say he deserves two :D

[​IMG]

Kossoff is God likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Don't think so! Pixar had 2 2016 releases so it seemed unlikely they'd both get noms - especially since the other one was a much bigger hit and much better reviewed.

Not sure if any Pixars other than "Cars 2", "Dory" and "Good Dinosaur" have failed to get BAF nods - too lazy to check! :D

Got it - and I agree with that thought.

When I reviewed "FFJ", here's what I said about the subject:

"Will Jenkins add to that string and get Streep her 20th nomination? Probably, and I wouldn’t call this undeserved, but I do think Florence represents semi-“lesser” Streep. "

That was more due to the script that her performance - she was fine, but the movie didn't ask a lot of her, really.

As has already been implied, Hugh Grant was more of a lead than Streep, honestly...

22. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Have only seen one nominated film so far Hell & High Water which I liked but not sure it is Oscar worthy.
    What no votes for Star Wars Rogue One?

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Captain Fantastic should have been nominated. It was at least better than Manchester by the Sea and Hell or High Water, the only two best picture nominees I've seen.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I checked, no nomination for "Dinosaur" -that should have at least gotten some technical awards.

For the record Ex machina won in the "visual effects" category last year. :biglaugh:

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Is anyone else sick of the studios back-loading most of the really great films to the end of year around awards season? There's at least half a dozen movies in theaters right now that I want to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.