The 50 Best Jazz Singers Of All Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ridin'High, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Sinatra is ranked higher than Satchmo, Jon Hendricks, and Sarah Vaughan? And where are the bebop vocalists Eddie Jefferson and King Pleasure?

Jazzmonkie and ando here like this.
  2. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Word.

Sinatra, and I love him, was not a jazz singer. He was a great pop singer. Sure, he sang with Basie but that was one of a few jazz band exceptions. Mahalia Jackson sang with Ellington. And no one would call her a jazz singer but coming from New Orleans she was admittedly (and unavoidably) influenced by jazz musicians.

Bessie Smith was a flat out blues singer. She sang straight from the gut with little embellishment, canny interpretation or rhythmic nuance. She almost always stuck to the 12 bar blues format. Though that forms the basis of jazz music it's merely the starting point; the ground. Jazz singers aren't interested in holding the ground. They fly!

3. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

4. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

No Nancy Wilson? :confused:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  5. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

No Diane Shuur??? :winkgrin:

I'd knock a few off the list for her.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Spin Doctor likes this.
  6. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

As if I'm supposed to care what's unlistenable to you. lol...

By your own admission, your "opinion" is no more validated than mine. There are plenty of people who consider "freeform" jazz (as you call it) unlistenable. Does their opinion make it "non-music"? Does your musical taste mean anything to me?

I think not, in both cases.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  7. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Completely agree. I'm not into jazz vocals at all but I love his music. Definitely an all time great.

8. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

I discovered him a couple of years ago via a "Jazz for a Lazy Saturday" type playlist on Apple Music when they played "No Love Dying", and I subsequently completed my Amazon order for the CD before the tears even had a chance to dry from my face! Really, this man truly has a gift; his lyrics, sincere vocal delivery, and beautiful musical arrangements resonate with the soul like little else I've ever heard. In particular, the lines about helping the bird heal his wing and fly away and the sweet little old lady who gave him four flowers instead of three just gets me choked-up every time.

Other than seeing him live, this is the best 17-minute musical experience you can possibly have today:

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Nice. I just happened to hear one of his tunes on the radio during the afternoon jazz session around here. It was one from his recent NKC tribute album and it floored me - completely unexpected b/c when jazz vocals come up I start reaching for the dial. His voice kept me from doing that and then actually drew me in. Now I'm waiting to see when he's coming close enough to see him live!

10. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

whats next for these bozo's Kenny G as best Sopranos Sax ?

11. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Man, some of those high notes gave me goose bumps, Stevie was moved to tears... I had some stuff by her years ago and I'd completely forgotten...

ando here and George P like this.
  12. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Me too. Took this thread to rekindle my old fascination. With 23 albums under her belt she's not exactly unsung.

13. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Just ran into this American Experience episode on Queen Ella. Should be interesting. I like the Fitzgerald coverage in Ken Burns' Jazz series, particularly her relationship with Chick Webb. As I recall her narrative gets a bit thin, if not dropped altogether, after Webb exists. Hopefully this will fill in for the post Webb years - which is most of her career! lol

speedway likes this.
  14. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Some of Sinatra’s music and singing is definitely jazz. He won many DownBeat polls, could swing as good as anyone, was popular amongst many jazz legends and even influenced Miles Davis.

Bob F likes this.
  15. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Etta James missed out.

And where on the earth is Al Jolson. This guy was big in the day and hugely influential. Perhaps not strictly a 'jazz singer' although he was in the movie. Not cool enough perhaps?

I didn't think much of Chet as a singer. He was a magnificent trumpeter, der.

16. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Would Nat King Cole fit as Jazz Singer?

George P likes this.
  17. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

His popularity didn't make him a jazz singer, though. I suppose it's a matter of opinion as far as his swinging ability goes. Tormé had more of a swing appeal to me than the sometimes flatfooted Sinatra. With Sinatra it seemed to depend on the band/conductor around him. I don't believe you could sit him in the middle of any jazz band and he'd be able to do it. But I'd have perfect confidence with someone like Ella, Sarah, Jon Hendricks, O'Day, etc., whose ear and timing were impeccable and whose invention and dexterity epitomized the spirit of what most consider jazz. That's all.

18. Frangelico

Only in the jazz idiom is there, amongst some, a self-defeating, military adherence to strict orthodoxy. One doesn’t find this attitude in rock and roll nor classical for that matter.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

FWIW, from the inception of the annual Playboy Jazz Musicians Poll in 1957, Frank Snatra was voted “Male Vocalist of the Year” five years in a row. This was the Musicians poll, not the Readers poll. Certainly, many musicians (including Miles, Oscar Peterson, and numerous others who have done Sinatra tribute albums) considered him a major jazz influence, public perceptions notwithstanding.

20. Andrewandrew1234

Andrewandrew1234 New Member

Andrew Zaucha (Andrzej Zaucha) polish jazz singer from Cracow Cracov. 1949-1991.He was shot-killed (eight bullets) by Frenchman in 1991 .He was polish John Lenon or Freddie Mercury.He had magic voclal.Zaucha sang many songs in polish and english versions, namely Cest la vie

21. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Cecile McLorin Salvant?

22. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

What? Self-defeating? Military adherence? Jazz is the very opposite of that kind of staid attitude or rigid approach to music. Nothing I've said suggested that jazz singers should stick to any particular model of expression. Invention is at the heart of jazz.

And as for classical music, that genre is rife with traditionalists and downright priggish followers and proponents of musical values. In fact, the conservatory is at the heart of the classical European tradition.

Interesting write up on the Sinatra-as-jazz-singer debate, which ultimately, imo, goes nowhere. Isn't the most salient point of polls like this to bring people to the music, especially to greats of which you may be unaware?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  23. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Just getting to appreciate Mel. Fun Ellington fave:

24. Frangelico

Indeed, Sinatra was well-respected by both musicians and critics and influenced a number of jazz greats. His phrasing was unparalleled, he helped champion the concept/thematic album and also helped to fully realize the potential of the album format in the Fifties.

It’s possible the historic context changed over time, there certainly has been revisionism and an uppitty elitism in some circles, but jazz would have been better off embracing Sinatra, Bennett and others more. Heck Bing Crosby was a great jazz singer.

25. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Three cheers for Al! Where'd we be without him!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.