The Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach (MFSL Vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KOWHeigel, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I listened to this last night and I agree about filling in the mids. I was afraid KW would crank the treble as he did on "By the Light of the Moon". Not so, KW did a great job on this record. This record sound is analog and organic. I can also hear plenty of detail in the music, without the annoying treble boost. It is a real art to attain this result. See the "Close to the Edge SACD for another example.

The vinyl is 1st rate. It is perfectly centered, flat and dead quiet. Just a beautifully made record. See the Steppenwolf on Analog Productions label or Second Winter on Speakers Corner label for more unbelievable vinyl. Just outstanding.

Paully likes this.
  2. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I'm going to be a contrarian on this one. I like the old version as much or more than the new one.

I hear what people are hearing about the new MSFL pressing and agree completely. There is a midrange transparency that is very attractive with the new version. It isn't that it's brighter. It's just plain clearer. You can pick out individual notes more easily. The records are very well made. No one would go wrong buying the new pressing. There is much there to be admired and enjoyed.

But the older MoFi version has better depth on my system. It's rounder and fuller. I got a better sense of the soundstage on the live cuts. I just compared One Way Out on the two versions and I heard the band on stage with the old pressing. It's not that the old pressing is warmer, just like it's not that the new pressing is brighter, but there is simply more body to the music on the old pressing. There's more air.

In some ways, the difference is song dependent. I liked the new pressing more on Blue Sky. Bringing the instruments forward on that song served the music. I liked the old pressing more on Trouble No More. I heard the band better.

A couple of weeks ago a musician friend and I were comparing the two masters using the second side of Mountain Jam. He said, "The new one sounds clearer but the old one sounds wider, if that makes any sense." In a way, it does.

There are two ways the old pressing is definitely superior to the new one. One, the old one came with the original insert which has the credits, including who played on which cut. Two, Eat A Peach has always been goofy in that Mountain Jam is on sides 2 and 4. On the old pressing, MFSL made the choice to put sides 2 and 4 on one record, so you have one album that's all of Mountain Jam and another that is everything else. How sensible is that? The new one goes back to the way the original records were assembled, so that Mountain Jam spans two records.

I like the new master. It is a great job by MFSL. Buy it. But for me, if I'm going to listen to Eat A Peach, especially the live cuts, I'm more likely to pull out my old MoFi copy.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    jgrillo likes this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have two copies of the original MFSL. I really like the original, it's a nice vinyl release of this title. It's different than the new release, which is a good thing. I wouldn't want the new copy to sound identical to the original. The eq on the new release is a bit more a appealing.

4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The new Mofi Eat a Peach is fantastic (given mix limitations...). It's like wiping a slightly dusty window when compared to the original (1A/1A/1B/1A combination), and it doesn't suffer from that top end haze like many reissues do. Nice natural tone as well.

This is a top 5 Mofi release. Up there with Beck's Sea Change and a few others. Also comes in a really nice thick gatefold with gorgeously detailed inner panel artwork, just as clear as the original pressing. No teensy super format CD packaging is going to capture the beauty of that art.

KOWHeigel and ssmith3046 like this.
  5. Skydogduane86

Skydogduane86 Forum Resident

After Reading All The Reviews I Gotta Get This To Replace My 2$ Used 1st Pressing. The solo in Stand Back Is Bone Chilling.

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Do not delay!

7. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I agree with you on Idelwild and was wondering if you got the MFSL Eat a Peach.

8. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

not yet, but i will soon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.