The Americans Season Four ...Begins tonight.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by trem two, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I guess Philip's relationship with Kimmy has been going on all this time, and they just haven't been showing it to us? When does he have time?

She looks like a female version of NSync-era Justin Timberlake.

2. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

That scene was a blast from the past and a little out of place, inserted solely to make a parallel with Philip's family. Didn't really work but I guess it was framing the family's conflict that's only going to escalate.

3. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

No one's talking about the finale? It was great! I was really annoyed that the previews from last week really spoiled a lot of it.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I agree it was a great finale. Wow. Now the long wait.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I have it recorded and will watch it tonight.

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:agree: Kinda thought it was a tad short on what it gave us for a final.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I can see that really. But I like this slow burn, this building tension. . . will the neighbor start adding up two and two, will the paster and wife remain so compliant, will the dying man turn helpful, will the daughter break, will she become defiant if forbidden the neighbor boy, we know the parents are not going to elect to go home, but. . . man it's an intense build.

shokhead likes this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I felt the show lost steam after the secretary went to Russia. That should've been the finale.

9. Squealy

I thought it was a great season. The only question for me was why they devoted all that time to Nina in Russia this season and last, only to abruptly kill her off partway through. It felt like they decided the story wasn't going anywhere and decided to cut their losses. They might have felt the same about Martha, but at least they got some real drama and pathos out of writing her out (and so far, haven't given us scenes of her moping around in Moscow).

I did expect something a bit more explosive to happen in the finale... Like probably a lot of people I thought for a moment William was going to mention Phillip and Elizabeth's names and there would be a Hank-on-the-toilet moment for Stan... But that would have been too easy.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    dynamicalories and GodShifter like this.
  10. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

What I found odd was Stan's mood at the end of the episode. He just spent a couple days watching a man die an agonizing death, and he seemed almost giddy when he told Phillip about walking in on Paige and Matthew. It seemed very un-Stan like.

Tom Campbell likes this.
  11. Squealy

Maybe after two days of death and darkness he was just happy to see something happy and youthful and innocent happening (not realizing, of course, that the girl is the daughter of Russian spies and is keeping tabs on him through his son).

Lonson likes this.
  12. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Just saw the finale last night. Altho certainly not the best episode of the season, I thought it an appropriate conclusion to THE BEST SEASON YET:tiphat:

13. Squealy

I feel even more than I did when they announced it that the show seems to have way fewer than 23 episodes left to go. Not that I won't be happy to watch them all. But it seems like it could end at any moment.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This show has more expendable cast members than any other show. GoT has nothing on "The Americans". About four major cast members; the rest, well, don't get too attached to them.

15. shokhead

Had no clue Keri and Rhys were in a real relationship and she just gave birth.

16. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

I plan to watch season four as soon as we finish game of cards. It puts me to sleep most nights, but my wife INSISTS we need to finish it.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I mentioned this earlier in this thread. This entire season Russell has worn heavy coats, had laundry baskets she's carrying or is seen primarily from the chest up. It's been pretty obvious she was pregnant the whole season.

18. Squealy

I have to admit I really wasn't thinking about it! Even though I did subconsciously register that she always seemed to be carrying laundry or something, but then as a mother of two whose time at home was limited she wouldn't be sitting around the house anyway.

19. shokhead

Never noticed once.

20. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

No matter what the role, Dylan Baker kills it every time (so to speak). Get this guy an Emmy!

21. shokhead

Great in The Good Wife.

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well, then they did a good with diversions and props. I have to admit had I not read about it before the season, I might not have picked up on it either.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

very strange ending.........

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Pretty low key finale , S05 should be interesting !

rufus t firefly likes this.
  25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Anyone hear feedback on how the
    show is perceived in Russia ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.