THE Anaheim (aka Newport) SHOW Sept 22-24: I need a set-up team Sept 20

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Warren Jarrett, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam Thread Starter

T.H.E. Newport SHOW has changed names and location to Anaheim. I will have the Audio Note (UK) room. But due to my open-heart surgery about 2 years ago, I still cannot handle set-up alone. And most of my friends that would help, don't feel much better than I feel about carrying boxes from my truck to the room, and moving equipment around the room until it all sounds its best.

I still don't want to compromise, though, with smaller scale equipment and a simpler layout than I've always done before. And I certainly will not compromise set-up with some set-and-forget orientation, without moving things around until the sound becomes absolutely incredible.

So I request help from whoever will volunteer. Unfortunately, set-up day is Sept 20, which is Wednesday. Thursday is Press and Exhibitors ONLY day. Then the show starts Friday for the mob. So that means two extra days in Anaheim, unless you want to omit Sunday in exchange.

I can offer these advantages to any volunteer:
    1. Free admission to the show via an exhibitor badge.
    2. Admission will include the restricted days, Wednesday for Exhibitors only and Thursday for Press and Exhibitors only.
    3. Dinner on me either Wednesday or Thursday night. Dinner again with all of us (but shared cost this night) on whatever night Steve Hoffman decides to attend.
    4. A home base room at the show to store your stuff, meet with other SH.tv members, and generally hang out anytime.
    5. Participation in the transformation from a system that sounds just so-so when it is first thrown into position, versus a system that sounds incredible after careful auditioning, moving and arguing about details, until finally it finds itself set-up in the most perfect orientation.

The advantages to me will be:
    1. I will make new friends.
    2. I will not have to work so hard carrying boxes.
    3. I will have help listening while I figure out how to best set-up the room.
    4. I will have an entourage of volunteers and the neighboring rooms will wonder what makes me so special (until they realize it was really the free admission and free dinner, not something about me).

Please PM me if you can plan to help.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    bhazen, VinylRob, morinix and 4 others like this.
  2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Sounds like a lot of fun.

IanL and Warren Jarrett like this.
  3. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

If I lived there I would love to help you out. Good luck!

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

What is the venue exactly? And what time are you thinking to set up? I could be available but only in the evening. Dang, why couldn't it be another weekend (flying to visit my kid at college, will miss the show itself).

5. Tempting. Haven't completely committed to the show yet. Have helped hauling equipment at RMAF in the past and had a blast. Learned lots.

6. Warren Jarrett

I will ask for help hauling-in boxes during the early afternoon, Wednesday Sept. 20, then listening and I need help fine tuning in the early evening. Then dinner (with equipment on and playing music while we are gone), and back for more fine tuning, after everything is completely warmed-up. Come to help any time, and you will get admission for the pre-show days. So you can mull around the show to see what other rooms are doing. Many will be playing music already. Some will welcome guests, some will not. Then Thursday will be great. As a Press and Exhibitor Only day, it will not be crowded and everyone will be treated like a VIP.

But maybe if you are not there earlier for the hauling-in part, you don't deserve dinner on me.

Venue
    Hilton Anaheim
    777 Convention Way
    Anaheim, CA 92802

Dates
    Exhibitor Move-in - Wednesday - September 20

Press Preview – Thursday – September 21, 12 noon – 8pm
    Friday -September 22, 10am – 8pm
    Saturday -September 23, 10am – 7pm
    Sunday -September 24, 10am – 5pm

7. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

If I were not in the middle of a full blown home remodeling project, I would be all over this. Hope the show is a success!

8. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

Warren:

PM sent. (I hope - because it is the first time that I've sent a PM on this forum). Look forward to helping.

9. EricMack

EricMack Forum Resident

Wish I was local, Warren...
    I'm sure the experience and camaraderie will be well worth it!!

bru87tr and Warren Jarrett like this.
  10. What time do you need the help on Wednesday? I may just head over and spend the afternoon and evening in the area, then head back home.

11. Warren Jarrett

I plan to start moving boxes, from truck to room, at noon on Wednesday, the 20th. That is what I need most help with. Then setting-up, listening, moving things around for best sound, adding plants and rugs for a homey appearance... that will take us to dinner-time. Then more listening and changing after dinner, with whoever is still with us.

During the times that I may be obsessing about small things or focusing on something I really don't need help with, it will be interesting for you to roam around the show to hear who already has their sound going.

12. Might work out well then. I'll shoot you a PM and run my ideas past you.

13. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I've helped a friend (hifi importer/distributor/retailer) with hifi shows in the 1980's. There was a bit of work to do when setting-up and packing-up, but it was great fun and good to get access to the rest of the show for free. I would love to help, but I'm not in your country. I recommend volunteering to help, and good luck with the show.

14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

If you ever need help in London, or are happy to pay expenses, glad to give time.

15. grover

grover Cable Maestro

Sounds fun what will be your equipment?

16. Warren Jarrett

That will be a surprise, for my helper team to be the first to know (and hear). It will be appropriate for the larger room and more centralized (Mezzanine room 3) location than we usually choose for AN. So the amplifiers will be SET monos, the preamp from a very high AN level (with phono), and the speakers will be a model of E with high-efficiency silver-wound voice coils.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  17. grover

grover Cable Maestro

Do you want the best sound possible?

18. Warren Jarrett

There are a few possible interpretations of your question.

Of course, I would like to achieve the absolute best sound ever heard, beyond what anyone has ever achieved before. That would truly satisfy your question. And I want to merely sit in my chair observing continuous jaw-drops as people enter the room.

But, I am willing to accept the best possible sound that I can, in THIS room, with THIS equipment, with the help of my SET-UP TEAM, adding sound panels and tweeks IF necessary, and given the time constraints that we will be FORCED to work within.

In my opinion, from what I have already achieved in my showrooms and my show displays, using AN equipment, the sound WILL be beautiful. Please google, "Warren Jarrett Warm Breeze" to see what one Part-Time Audiophile reviewer experienced.

And, however wonderful it sounds to me, there will be visitors who stop-in for a moment, don't hear anything they like about it, and run out of the room shaking their heads in displeasure.

SoCalWJS and AmericanHIFI like this.
  19. The Room.

The ROOM.

THE ROOM!!

Gotta be a challenge going into a room in a Hotel that you have never set up in before (I'm assuming). All of the problems that can occur, even if you know what the dimensions are. What is the construction? (Walls and floors). Any vibration issues? (Ducting is usually the biggest, but not the only, issue). How is the Power to the room? Air circulation? (will you need to run AC regularly?). Etc.

:yikes:

Hope you love challenges! :edthumbs:

(bringing any room treatments? :D)

20. grover

grover Cable Maestro

Have you settled on cables for the room there? I can help, and we could set up the room together. I have special power conditioners and my power cords can't be beat.

Metralla likes this.
  21. Warren Jarrett

That was one of the "few interpretations" I considered, that you had a specific recommendation in mind.

I hope you are aware that Audio Note (UK) designs, manufactures and markets everything for an audio system, including cables. So I will be using exclusively AN(UK) products throughout this room's system, including their proprietary pure silver interconnects and speaker cables.

I have displayed various combinations of equipment, including AN, at some previous shows, but this one will be 100% Audio Note.

But please PM me, introduce your products to me. I am a retailer, also carrying other products, and may want to feature your products in The Audio Home, my dedicated 5-display-room demo location in Fullerton.

22. Metralla

Audio Note make power cords? Do they have UK plugs? :)

23. Warren Jarrett

Audio Note markets their products, including power cords, literally all over the world, including (for example) Cambodia, Laos, South Africa, India, Russia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Saudi Arabia, Cyprus, Iceland... just about everywhere. So, the power cords are available with any plugs that exist on this planet.

I happen to use an AN power strip (not a power conditioner), completely wired with AN cable and conductors, fitted with a USA plug for the wall and UK outlets. Then, my individual power cords have UK plugs.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  24. Metralla

I thought I was making a little joke - but it turned out to be more interesting than I guessed.

Balthazar and Warren Jarrett like this.
  25. grover

grover Cable Maestro

Did you find someone to help?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.