The Andy Griffith Show is coming to Blu-ray.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by OldSoul, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

True, and it doesn't make much sense to take that gamble on a show that is ten seasons long. I'd rather take that gamble on a three-season show like Lost in Space, especially since those sets are almost a decade old.

2. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

My DVDs are perfectly acceptable until the price on this drops.

OldSoul likes this.
  3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

They did it for The Dick Van Dyke show on blu-ray. That came out as a full series set first and then as individual seasons later. Same thing with Friends on BD. That way the people who maybe only want the first x number of seasons have to buy the whole series, at least initially.

4. DreadPikathulhu

I've read that the sales of TV on DVD has pretty much dropped off of the cliff except for new shows. Most people preferring to either watch them online or wait for the complete series set.

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

No one sells or pays for it at that price. $50-60 was the norm now the previous sets are $40-50.

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

No, now you can pay almost twice that for only ONE season - knock yourself out.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that is laughable!:laugh: yea!

8. Michael

still very expensive considering the DVD is so cheap...it does look good, but those damn edits, etc...still I cannot justify upgrading...

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You can get my favorite TV show of all time on blu ray as an import, Columbo, the entire box set, for less that ILL (according to your math which i. Sure is correct) and I wont even spring for that one...and Im the ultimate sucker for this sort of thing. I had all the seasons of Monk and repurchased it all over again as a box set just because I loved the packaging....wasnt even blu ray. Yes, these are way, way too expensive and a sucker like me wont even spring for it.. They have to know that based on sales data....whats the point?

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Absolutely! We will see what happens soon enough. I will wait it out. In the mean time we can enjoy our beautiful standard discs of these awesome shows.

11. Michael

...they did a junk yard in space job on that set! I was so let down.

12. Michael

I agree after they release a few BR sets they will then release a complete BOX set...typical business... Hook-'em screw-'em.

13. DreadPikathulhu

I would love to see the color seasons of Lost in Space on Blu-ray. Candy-colored velour in high-def!

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

I would hope for both, but my luck it'll just be BR...But, I would buy the BR anyway just to have it! crazy?...yea.:D

15. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Those prices are for the Next Generation. Look at the original series (was released in a box set). Amazon low recently of $69 and change for all three series. Now let's look at the Dick Van Dyke Show. A bit over one hundred. Not too crazy. It seems the prices are higher for indivual seasons but prices really drop when the full series boxes come out.

16. Michael

of course after we buy the single season sets because many of us do not have the patients to wait, or we are afraid they will not release a complete set down the road...now it seems a given...but, of course if i wait it will not come out!:laugh:...nice chatting with you Todd.:)

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Patience and common sense. Since it's only a TV show, not water or oxygen, you can WAIT. Wait and see if an entire series box comes out after an individual season(s) is released. Take it from an NYPD Blue fan who's been waiting for years.

OldSoul likes this.
  18. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

it's off Amazon right now, so maybe it will be re-listed with a better price (hoping so!). the dillards/darlings in hi-def? i never would have expected that :)

19. Michael

compared to the original TV broadcast when I was a kid...the DVDs are spectacular...good enough for me.:)

20. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Or release a couple seasons, get the hardcore fans monies, then claim poor sales as the reason to cancel the rest of the seasons, and release a "one and done" full series box set later on to cash in again on the hard core fans.

21. Michael

yes, they are good for that!:)

22. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'? Thread Starter

Horrible cover art. Has the graphics department at CBS lost it?! The season one DVD actually had a really nice cover. AndyGriffithShow_S1_BLU_e.jpg

23. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

This thread reminds me of a picture on the internet...

well-the-resolutions-too-poor-it-wont-help-much-to-enhance-it.jpg

24. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

looks like April 8th for release date, cover design not verified yet.

25. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I don't get it. TNG is owned and sold by CBS. And, I've been buying the BD sets at $59.99. Are you saying that Paramount is selling CBS' product at list price?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.