The Andy Griffith Show is coming to Blu-ray.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by OldSoul, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you are not funny! read it on the net, dude.

2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'? Thread Starter

What?! I was saying you did read and were therefore correct. o_O

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

:laugh: gotcha.:D

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Pre-ordered Andy Griffith, I Love Lucy Season One and the Complete Honeymooners all for April 8. Now I just have to figure out where the $270 is going to come from.

6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The show was only good until Don Knotts left. Then it turned into a boring drama. Then it jumped the shark when Aunt Bee learned how to fly a plane. Or maybe it did it before then. Either way, the show is terrible without Barney.

EdgardV and forthlin like this.
  7. Myke

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

For those that are into ILove Lucy, Amazon is running a special...the whole box set on regular DVD for $45... What a steal!! I ordered it even though I already have them...the packaging is beautiful and I couldn't resist. Best price I ever saw was Best Buy blowing them out for $99 a couple years ago and I think they only had two copies....I almost ought it then. And I hate the way season one was issued as a bunch of individual cases. I don't care about the blu ray, which is probably why they blew out the set.

Edit....just checked and the price has already gone up, but still a deal at $96. Cheap for so many amazing episodes!

9. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

CBS is not a part of Viacom anymore. It hasn't been for some time. All things CBS are now under the banner of CBS Corporation. The relationship of CBS, Viacom, and Paramount Television to each other is complex and confusing, guaranteed to make your head explode:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Paramount_Television

Dan

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Viacom, CBS, and Paramount all have the same corporate owner. This is not that difference from Comcast, Universal, and NBC all essentially being the same company now.

I would be reluctant to order the entire series of Andy Griffith in Blu-ray for $75.

audiomixer likes this.
  11. Myke

Esp. with it streaming for " free," as part of my Amazon Prime membership.

Entertainment ceases to be entertaining, if it takes too much money out of my pocket.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Viacom and Paramount are under the same umbrella. CBS is under a different one. This occurred during the mid-2000's spinoff. Paramount TV shows became CBS/Paramount and finally CBS Television Distribution(King World got folded in there, as well).

http://www.viacom.com/brands/pages/default.aspx
    http://www.cbscorporation.com/portfolio.php

Dan

13. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I might regret it, but I did just get the entire series of the Dick Van Dyke Show on blu-ray for $54 from amazon, with free shipping. That comes out to about $11 a season and about 35 cents an episode. This one is available for streaming too, but the masters there are what's available for the old and somewhat blurry DVD release. I realize that the DVD release probably already has more resolution than what people saw at home back in c. 1962! The blu-ray release, I'm guessing, is going to be a little like being invited to the set as they were making the show.

At least sometimes it seems almost like that when I'm streaming the new HD masters of Andy Griffith Show.

14. Myke

The Dick Van Dyke set is gorgeous visually. My only problem was the center channel only audio, I had to really crank it in order to hear it.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a very reasonable price.

erniebert and AKA like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Let's face it: Sumner Redstone controls it all.

In late 2005, Viacom split itself and reestablished CBS Corporation with the CBS television network at its core. CBS Corporation is controlled by Sumner Redstone through National Amusements, its parent.

In 1986, movie theater owner National Amusements bought controlling interest in Viacom, which brought Sumner Redstone to the company. Redstone retained the Viacom name and made a string of large acquisitions in the early 1990s, announcing plans to merge with Paramount Communications (formerlyGulf+Western), parent of Paramount Pictures in 1993, and buying the Blockbuster Video chain in 1994.

Paramount's home entertainment unit continues to distribute the Paramount TV library through CBS DVD, as both Viacom and CBS Corporation are controlled by Michael Redstone's National Amusements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Amusements

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

The masters that Netflix uses for The Andy Griffith Show look great. I assume the Blu-rays use the same masters.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  18. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Aye.

Dan

19. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Those were done from the D5 masters and they do look superb. That is most likely what was used for the BR masters.

Dan

20. Myke

And while this is still true, life can flip things around on you.
    Now Comcast here is enforcing Gb overages past 300 Gb, $10 per 50 Gb, and Amazon is one of the worst for driving the numbers up, so now the physical discs are the better bargain, and I just grabbed a sealed set of Andy & Barney, off eBay, for only $38.85. Seller has more too.

21. Myke

" There once was a deputy named Fife
    who carried a gun, and a knife
    the gun was all dusty
    the knife was all rusty
    'cause he never caught a crook in his life "

:biglaugh:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  22. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Blu Ray? B&W 16mm will not look that much better in hi def and it will not make Aunt Bea look any hotter.

23. The Andy Griffith Show was shot in 35mm, as were all CBS-produced sitcoms by the late '50s...and these episodes were HD-scanned from the original camera negatives...

Shawn likes this.
  24. Myke

Don't confuse me with the facts, I have something witty to say !

:doh:

lukejosephchung likes this.
  25. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Well, it does look better than when Norman Lear started using Quadruplex video tape for his sitcoms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.