The Association - What Were The Words (live)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hall Cat, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member Thread Starter

This song is introduced by Brian Cole as being sung by only "three guys." Who are those three guys? Jim Yester is obviously the lead vocalist. My guess is that Ted Bluechel is singing the low harmony and Larry Ramos is singing the high harmony (or maybe it's Jules Alexander). Does that lineup sound correct?

Nick Dunning likes this.
  2. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

It's hard to tell from listening, but I doubt it was Ted on low harmony......he had one of the higher voices in the group. Low harmonies were usually handled by either Brian Cole or Terry Kirkman.

3. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

Checking with Jim for a more definitive answer.....

4. Hall Cat

He was always considered a baritone. Anyway, listen to "or would I only get lost in your smile" closely . . .

5. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

Yes, there are times I hear Ted, and times I hear Terry. It's inconclusive to me. No response from Jim as of yet.

6. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

I just listened to the whole track, and the three singers are mentioned as "Pig, Bird and Pineapple". If that's correct, that would mean Ted, Jim and Larry.

7. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

Jim Yester's response.....

You nailed it........Ted comes in with the first harmony, below the lead.........then Larry comes in with the third over. And ....When we go to the chorus, I go to the third over, and Larry takes the melody.....We had some talk the other day in the dressing room about Del,Jules and I doing it, if only for warming up in the dressing room. I think it would be cool to do in the show. Jordan has been pushing for it for a long time..!

Hall Cat and She is anyway like this.
  8. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

First-hand info... always a nice thing to have! :thumbsup:

9. Hall Cat

Hooray! I guessed something right for once! Thanks for doing the research. What made me first think it might be Ted on the low harmony is that photo of him singing into a handheld mic in the gatefold. He doesn't have a lead on the album, so . . .

They should do it in their show, it's an excellent song

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.