The Ballad of Mott the Hoople and Ian Hunter - Album by Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Oct 16, 2016.

1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Artful Dodger marks Hunter's official rebirth after floundering through the 80s. Pretty great all the way through and "Michael Picasso" is sublime. And, of course, the source of my long time signature line :cool: My second favorite behind All American Alien Boy.

Runicen and onlyconnect like this.
  2. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

After being a Mott/Hunter fan from the age of 9 in 1973 and picking up every album as pocket money allowed and on release from '79 onward, I was finally late to The Artful Dodger. I hadn't liked All Of The Good Ones Are Taken. YUI Orta I thought was polished but forgettable and Dirty Laundry was a mess which leant too heavily on the backing band. Most artists of Ian's generation were creatively burned out by the mid 90s and the evidence seemed to indicate that he was too. I'm not even sure when I became aware of the existence of The Artful Dodger, possibly not until after Michael Picasso appeared on the Once Bitten Twice Shy compilation so I didn't pick the album up until it was nearly time for Rant to be released.

I had lost faith just at the wrong time because The Atful Dodger proved to be the start of a phenomenal late career purple patch which continues to this day. Probably Ian's strongest album since Schizophrenic (though I have a soft spot for Short Back & Sides), the songwriting confidence and focus was back and Ian seemed as aware of his lost decade and a half as his fans were and determined to make up for lost time. The quality would only improve further from here but it felt so good to have an Ian Hunter, firing on all cylinders, back in my life after so long away. The live set from the ensuing 20 years has identified the classics from this record. Michael Picasso of course but also 23A Swan Hill & Something To Believe In but there is nothing wrong with anything else here either.

elborak, Runicen and onlyconnect like this.
  3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

I get the impression that The Artful Dodger was a bit of a disaster financially, despite its excellence. It had a staggered release around the world, not really a good idea in terms of promotion. More seriously, Ian Hunter had been under the radar for so long that making a big impact was not really possible. At times the CD has been hard to get hold of, but is easily available now as well as being on Spotify etc.

Reissues include the bonus track F%&k it up, said to be inspired by PJ Proby living quietly in a London suburb. I am not sure what Hunter is on about here as the song is also about a marriage breaking down.

"How could you look me straight in the eye
    Knowing full well you've got a bit on the side"

The song has a coda which sounds like a Sixties song (of the kind PJ Proby might have performed) but I can't identify it:

... she said I'll leave you alone
    she packed her bags and went home...

Anyone got Stranded in Reality and can tell me what Hunter's notes on the song say?

The song itself is pretty good.

Tim

4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

My favorite solo Ian album. Ironic how in my experience most people have never heard it (or even heard of it).

I absolutely hated Dirty Laundry and didn't find much to like on any of his solo albums after Schizo, but kept going back to the Ian Hunter well anyways and am very glad I hung in there for this one.

Was mighty worried when I first played the album and heard the opening song - "what is this crap?" went through my mind regarding the very strange inorganic non-R&R band production style - but that was quickly forgotten with the one/two/three brilliant songwriting assault of Now is the Time, Something to Believe In, and Resurrection Mary.

Besides those three songs my favorites on this are 23A Swan Hill, Michael Picasso, The Artful Dodger, and Still the Same. Although I didn't really like Michael Picasso that much until I heard it done live (without the annoying orchestral touches).

onlyconnect likes this.
  5. onlyconnect

Indeed, and it must be frustrating for artists who come up with excellent material after going out of the public eye, that it is so hard to get people to listen.

Incidentally, that was one of the reasons I started this thread.

Tim

slipkid and TeddyB like this.
  6. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

The Artful Dodger. I don't have time to write much at the moment, but aside from the generally good quality of the songs, for me there are five absolute stone classics on this record: Now is the Time, Something to Believe In, Resurrection Mary, 23A Swan Hill and Michael Picasso (though I do prefer the "early version" on Stranded in Reality and as played at the Ronson Memorial show at Hammersmith. Ian's vocals on all these songs are astonishing.

23A Swan Hill is a better explanation for why Ian ended up in Mott the Hoople than is Irene Wilde, the story of the ungainly cop's son from the Midlands who wrote poetry besides getting into aggro and didn't fit in, plus it deserves the adjective "rollicking." No wonder he's played it at virtually every gig since. With Resurrection Mary, Ian takes a kind-of well-known tale and assays it so well, with all the little self-assured gangster details and big thematic emotion, he makes storytelling art of it. Way better than Graham Parker would have done and, dare I say it, better than E.C. Ian Hunter, man! The gift/ode to Ronno of course is lovely and touching. Something to Believe In is questioning and rocking, a humanist religious song, no small feat.

I think this is Ian's single best solo album of songs. I think it makes the case for him being one of the very top rockers doing strong work past fifty (48 when this was released) and even though he's used it as a template to make several quality albums since, and made a name for himself and his band as an impeccable touring outfit, it all comes back to this album, which wasn't even released in the States. Stunning.

slipkid, keef00 and onlyconnect like this.
  7. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

Not much: "P.J. Proby ... another wonderful character!"

onlyconnect likes this.
  8. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

I'll post my full review of The Artful Dodger tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, some comments from Ian on the album:

September 24, 2000
    June 14, 2002
    August 7, 2002
    October 10, 2002
    November 16, 2004
    November 18, 2005

onlyconnect and Runicen like this.
  9. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

A few notes from Stranded In Reality. Note that many of the song notes in Stranded In Reality are not new; for example many of the notes from The Journey are carried over.

"23a Swan Hill"
    "Michael Picasso"

10. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

Now I'm even more stoked about the upcoming Ian Hunter show near my house; they're listing Joe Grushecky & The Houserockers on the same bill! :thumbsup:

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  11. A reunion of sorts? I bet Joe play's "Junior's Bar". I've said it before but I'll say it again, "Junior's Bar" should have been a monster hit. :pineapple: (Sorry - now back to the thread!)

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  12. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

and from the "Once Bitten Twice Shy" compilation....

13. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

The Artful Dodger

This album is pretty strongly tied to Ian Hunter's Dirty Laundry in time, personnel, production, and release, and both really flew under-the-radar.

"Too Much" - Pleasant ballad. I agree with slipkid who commented having a "WTF" moment when this opened the album; the start of this sounds like it could quickly turn into an overproduced, easy listening vibe. But it rises above that, especially due to the strong lyrics. I do think Ian's best served when his albums start off with a rocker and he saves the ballads for breathers deeper in.
    "Now Is The Time" - Heartfelt, though I find it a bit repetitious.
    "Something To Believe In" - Love this song. Great, timeless lyrics.
    "Resurrection Mary" - Story song based on a real Chicago legend; Ian tells the story of this rather extensively in the Stranded In Reality book. Okay, and it's nice to have a change of pace, but not one of my favorites. Interesting story, but that doesn't necessarily make a very interesting song.
    "Walk On Water" - Finally a song that kicks! The rest of the song doesn't live up to the opening, and it's not too lyrically adventurous, but still fun and we definitely needed a rocker by this point.
    "23a, Swan Hill" - Ian's always good when he's in a reminiscing mood. I like some of the live versions better, but nice.
    "Michael Picasso" - The sparse arrangement serves it well. Beautiful and heartbreaking.
    "Open My Eyes" - Decent groove in places, but largely boring. A decent lyric in search of a song/arrangement worthy of it.
    "The Artful Dodger" - Fun mid-tempo rocker. Would have made a solid album opener, especially with the opening line "How you doin', alright?" almost echoing the opening of "Once Bitten, Twice Shy". A leftover from Ian Hunter's Dirty Laundry (as was the following track).
    "Skeletons (In Your Closet)" - Throwaway.
    "Still The Same" - Mediocre ballad, though I do like it as a closer.

Bonus track on 2014 CD release:
    "F-ck It Up" [B-side] - I've seen this listed as "F%&k It Up" and (as on the 2014 CD) "All F%&k Up". Stranded In Reality lists it as "F-ck It Up" (uncensored) so I'm assuming that's the correct title. Good, but "Still The Same" works better as the album closer. A few oddities: Ian's voice sounds very different so it's a bit jarring when inserted into the album, and the final minute sounds like a jam of a completely different song.

Outtakes:
    "Too Much (All I Ever Wanted)" [early version] (Stranded In Reality) - A bit more raw/less produced. Neither better nor worse than the album version.
    "Michael Picasso" [early version] (Stranded In Reality) - Lacks the strings/synth of the album version, adds drums and electric guitar (in addition to the acoustic), and Ian sings it in a stronger, less hushed voice. Less poignant, more impassioned, equally great and equally essential.
    "The Artful Dodger" [early version] (Stranded In Reality) - Dual electric guitars very prominent in the mix and Ian's voice further back, almost buried. A bit strange with the two guitars playing almost the exact same part, one in each channel, but it works. The rougher edge fits the song and I think it's a bit better than the album version.
    "Ain't No Way To Treat A Lady" (Once Bitten Twice Shy/Stranded In Reality) - Strong song about a scumbag and his victim. Not as powerful a song as "Bastard" but the most snarl I've heard in an Ian vocal since.
    "A Little Rock 'n' Roll" (Stranded In Reality) - Ian comments: "This one didn't make The Artful Dodger album but it helped me get my Rant record deal." Good rocker with some fine guitar work.
    "Testosterone" (Stranded In Reality) - Rocker about, what else, hooking-up. Nothing to write home about lyrically, but a fun performance. Could have been a real killer live.

The next two songs were recorded in 1999, between The Artful Dodger and Rant. Ian comments that they didn't fit with the vibe of Rant and so were left in the can. I concur with his judgment. I'll include them here for lack of a more appropriate place.
    "Avalanche" (The Journey) - Bit of a power ballad. Nothing exceptional.
    "I'm In Awe" (The Journey) - Forgettable mid-tempo rocker. Could do without the "doop-dee-doop" background vocals. Feels like a B-side.

Don't know where these next two belong. They're listed in Stranded In Reality as "trio versions", but with no indication of when/were they were recorded or who the "trio" was. If memory serves, they're credited as being from "the collection of Ian Patterson" :). Vocal, background vocal, harmonica, acoustic guitar, electric guitar (or is it an electric mandolin?) & bass.
    "Something To Believe In" [trio version] (Stranded In Reality) - Like the album version more, but this sparse arrangement does fit the song well. Nice alternative version.
    "Resurrection Mary" [trio version] (Stranded In Reality) - Again the sparse arrangement is appropriate for this story song. Still not one of my favorites, but a solid performance.

One other new song that Ian was performing on tour from this period was "Salvation" which finally saw release on Stranded In Reality in a version recorded in 2008. Doesn't really belong here, but Ian has a lot to say about this song and we should include it somewhere down the road; it clearly means a great deal to him.

I think this album could be improved with a different song sequence. The opening number doesn't exactly set the stage for what follows, and the first three songs all start with the same tempo which threatens to give an early feeling of sameness. And it needs more rockers. Open with either "The Artful Dodger" or better yet "Walk On Water". Drop "Open My Eyes" and "Skeletons (In Your Closet)", break up the first three songs so they're not consecutive, add "Ain't No Way To Treat A Lady" and "A Little Rock 'n' Roll", voilà - a 4-star album becomes a 5.

While I agree with the assessment that this was the real start of Ian's later career resurgence, it wasn't until Rant that many outside of his core audience started to recognize that he was still around and vibrant.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    slipkid and onlyconnect like this.
  14. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

The "early version" on Stranded In Reality is the one to get if the mellow/orchestral version on The Artful Dodger isn't your style; it's phenomenal. I really wish they had included it on Sampling In Reality so there was a way to get it without taking out a second mortgage.

slipkid likes this.
  15. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

I received "The Journey..." today and "Road to Birmingham" is the "Two Miles From Heaven" version...

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, I was going to reply to your post above, all those alternate takes/other versions of songs that you mentioned from this album in the new boxset must be really great. I wish they would release these rarities without having to buy all the albums again. I'd love to have this stuff but just not worth the expense to me for so much that I already have (multiple times over).

elborak likes this.
  17. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

Completely agree. But unfortunately Ian did state (I think it was in an unboxing video interview for the boxed set) that he was 100% sure they would never split up the set and sell them separately. Said that Proper paid too much for the album rights to go that route.

But after Proper sells out of the set things will change. Most of the bonus tracks, as is typical with these types of archival sets, are mere curiosities. But there's enough truly great stuff to put together one really solid outtakes disc. It would have been nice if Sampling In Reality had been that disc, but I can see why they wouldn't want to make the best stuff available cheap before the set sells out.

Even better would be for them to make tracks available for a la carte purchase.

The good news is that the work of cataloging, locating and mastering all of these tracks has now been done. It would be easy to make them available via other means sometime down the road.

Runicen and slipkid like this.
  18. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

A bit more on "Salvation", which is another song that it stinks is only available on the "too expensive for 99.9% of his fans" boxed set. This song is one of Ian's best ballads, and that's saying a lot. It's a reflective, looking back on life track; a motif Ian always handles well.

Ian notes on his site (and echoes this in the Stranded In Reality book) that he'd intended to save this song for his "last album"; sort of a swan song:
    There's a fair quality Youtube performance of this that's worth a listen. From Ian's intro, and assuming I have the date the Youtube performance correct, Ian debuted this song September 6, 1997 at Running Horse, Nottingham, UK.

onlyconnect likes this.
  19. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

Time for Rant?

20. onlyconnect

Just got hold of the Mick Ronson Memorial Concert CD, which for some reason I missed at the time.

Concert was April 1994. Interesting to see that Resurrection Mary was performed, as well as (of course) Michael Picasso.

Tim

21. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

Ian has said multiple times that "Resurrection Mary" is one of his favorite songs. I think he's quite proud of the research for regional accuracy that he put into the lyrics.

TeddyB likes this.
  22. Braincapers

Braincapers Forum Resident

No you didn't. They left on time the first night but on the second night they had more fans in so got a better reception and overstayed their welcome

23. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

Attending the Ian & Rant Band show tonight. I'll try to write down the setlist. Reports from other shows is that he's dug deep into the back catalog and is playing a few rather obscure numbers.

curbach likes this.
  24. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

A post on the ianhunter.com forum from May 8:
    So my recollection was a bit off. Not so much older/rare tracks (other than "(Give Me Back My) Wings") as ones he has rarely played live.

But with a catalog the size and quality of Ian's, it would be hard to go wrong.

25. onlyconnect

Excellent, look forward to your report :)

Tim