The Ballad of Mott the Hoople and Ian Hunter - Album by Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Oct 16, 2016.

1. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

Thanks John. Were you there? What did you think?

Tim

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No, I wasn't there.

3. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

4. onlyconnect

Alan2 likes this.
  5. onlyconnect

6. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up on this! Let's hope it gets a good remastering. Disc 5 looks iffy, and there could/should be more live stuff. I'm wondering if the tracks that were overdubbed for Two Miles From Heaven will be released in their original form.

Kris Needs' involvement is a good sign, I think.

It'll be nice to have the original B-side version of "Road to Birmingham". A shame they couldn't have put "Midnight Lady" on the Brain Capers disc - it sits better with that album than Wildlife.

But I reckon I'm in, as long as the remaster isn't botched.

onlyconnect likes this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

slipkid likes this.
  8. onlyconnect

Yes, pretty disappointing.

Tim

9. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

Well, i "was" pretty excited to get this, but what is exactly missing from this box set, other than what the article said ?

10. onlyconnect

From the Angel Air reissues, Find Your Way (bonus track on the first album), It would be a pleasure (bonus on Mad Shadows), and It’ll be Me (bonus on Wildlife).

All of these are also on Anthology.

Tim

slipkid and t-man 54 like this.
  11. onlyconnect

To be clear, I am not saying the set is disappointing overall. Some of these albums are out of print and there are a lot of bonus tracks; it's nobody's fault that what exists is not that extensive and has already been thoroughly trawled for Two Miles from Heaven and the All the Young Dudes Anthology.

The biggest puzzle is why only one CD is offered for live performances, when these are so important to convey what early Mott the Hoople was all about.

Tim

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Just glancing quickly over the track listing I don't see the outtakes Surfin' U.K. from Two Miles From Heaven, Find Your Way from the Angel Air reissue of Mott The Hoople, It Would Be A Pleasure from the Angel Air reissue of Mad Shadows, It'll Be Me from the Angel Air reissue of Wildlife and The Wreck Of The Liberty Belle another Angel Air outtake that was unfinished. There are some others as well from The Mott The Hoople Family album. The Chosen Few is one of them.

It looks like it is also missing the live version of When My Mind's Gone from the Croydon show.

13. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

onlyconnect likes this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

15. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Mott's out-takes have never really grabbed me, so I think I'm okay with this - as long as it's not a brickwall job.

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Someone posted this on Facebook today.

[​IMG][​IMG]

One to ponder: An album that should have been released in September 1971 (but wasn't).
    MOTT THE HOOPLE "AC/DC".
    With the band's dissatisfaction (and the failure) of "Wildlife" (March 1971), the band attempted to be more commercial and recorded / self produced twelve tracks through April, May and August. The tracks collectively was to be their fourth album titled "AC/DC". But due to the band's increasingly shaky standing with Island Records (Not to mention reconsidering the potential backlash of the album's title), the album / tracks were shelved and the band reunited with producer Guy Stevens in September resulting in the "Brain Capers" album. Several of the "AC/DC" tracks were later re-recorded and appeared on "Brain Capers" and "All The Young Dudes". But I actually prefer the versions originally done by the band. This would have been a helluva album. IMO, far superior to "Brain Capers" (less chaotic)..
    Most Mott The Hoople fans will know these songs from retrospective compilations. Some consider these tracks nothing more than demos. They sound like finished product to my ears. Here is the potential album track listing (not including the possible inclusion of the 1971 non LP singles "Midnight Lady" and "Downtown".
    1. One Of The Boys (original version)
    2. Black Scorpio (Mamma's Little Jewel - original fast version)
    3. The Debt
    4. Long Red (Mountain cover)
    5. Until I'm Gone
    6. It'll Be Me
    7. Mental Train (The Moon Upstairs - original version)
    8. The Journey (original version)
    9. How Long (Death May Be Your Santa Claus - original version)
    10. There's An Ill Wind Blowing
    The fake cover sleeve is derived from the inner sleeve of the UK release of "Brain Capers".

onlyconnect, Alan2 and smiley69 like this.
  17. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Rather late to the party but personally I see it has :

Phase 1: 1st Coming of Mott the Hoople
    Phase 2: 2nd Coming of Mott the Hoople

Phase 3:Mainstream solo artist/Hunter-Ronson
    Phase 4: Niche solo artist (but none the worse for it)

.......particularly for someone like me who doesn't always get the "hit" years of Mott, but skips from the sland days to Ian's solo career.

Alan2 and onlyconnect like this.
  18. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

I've played the first 5 cds from the boxset and I'm more than happy with it ! Great sound quality to my ears and great great bonus unreleased tracks !!

Some more recording info/date would have been welcomed but it's still a real early MTH feast that every fan should get
    Hope that other buyers will soon chime on...

19. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

I'm supposed to get mine today but seeing as it's still in Orlando [2 hours away] I don't think that's happening....
    Would be great though, I've got the whole day to myself...

20. Braincapers

Braincapers Forum Resident

Amazon say I'll get mine Nov 6

21. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

I actually did get mine that day.
    I ordered it from Amazon France because it was cheaper and came out on 10/19! Ha ha.

22. Braincapers

Braincapers Forum Resident

I was tempted but waiting for the UK one was cheaper for me

sharedon and TheLoveDrags like this.
  23. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Just pre-ordered Mental Train from Amazon U.S. Psyched! :pineapple::pineapple:

24. onlyconnect

I have ordered too, based on reports of these being different takes from previous bonus tracks. Will review here in due course!

Tim

25. onlyconnect

I kinda agree about two phases of Mott the Hooople but the difficulty is that the "phases" are not all that distinct. I guess phase two begins with All the Young Dudes (album); but there is still quite a bit of "old" Mott the Hoople in that album. The departure of Ralphs after the Mott album made just as big a difference as the Bowie influence IMO.

Tim