The Band on the radio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve-oh, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member Thread Starter

Just sitting here listening to the self-titled album by The Band, reading the thread on deep album cuts on the radio, when I realized:

I've never heard a song by The Band on the radio.

I first heard them on a jukebox in a bar, where Up on Cripple Creek and The Weight were popular choices. But I cannot remember ever hearing them on the radio. Don't you think they should be a popular choice for the oldies channels, or classic rock?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Or "Across The Great Divide"....

Depends on the market. I was lucky to grow up and hear The Band on some classic rock stations. They used "The Best Of The Band", one of the early Capitol Cds...

3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

"Cripple Creek" gets played occasionally on oldies radio out here.

4. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

We get "Cripple Creek," "Dixie," "Weight," and sometimes "Time to Kill," but not very often.

5. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Rag Mama Rag was the only Band song to get lots of airplay and to chart in Australia at the time of release.

Of course oldies radio now plays The Weight and Dixie Down as well, but they weren't played at the time.

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Our oldies station will play "Up On Cripple Creek" on occasion, and our classic rock station will play that one along with "The Weight". They'll also sometimes play Dylan's "Forever Young", but I know that doesn't really count.

And that's it for the Band on Detroit-area commercial radio. Sad, isn't it?

7. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

It's not really surprising though.

Take Van Morrison as another example. Out of an enormous catalogue, how many Van songs get played on radio?

Brown Eyed Girl
    Moondance
    Bright Side Of the Road
    Gloria

Can't think of any others.

The Band's catalogue is of course much smaller.

8. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Now that you mention it, I haven't heard The Band on the radio for Yonks. Q107 in Toronto used to play it quite often. I still enjoy Q's Psychedelic Sunday very much. I just wish they had more records! Jeff

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

On one occassion, I remember hearing "Strawberry Wine"-- a very welcome, but somewhat obscure selection. But on those precious few other occassions that The Band have graced the radio while I was listening, I think it was invariably "The Weight". I don't recall hearing "Up on Cripple Creek", but I can see how it would show up on the playlists of certain classic rock stations.

10. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I heard "The Shape I'm In" just the other day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.