The Beach Boys original SMiLE to be released on CD and vinyl LP..(la neuvième partie)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olsen

olsen Senior Member

I have heard from good sources that the sales expectations are about 35,000. Seems low to me too but that's the word I heard.

2. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

12:57am in Bangladesh. Give it a few hours. ;)

3. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Love the new Vega-Tables. I had high hopes for this track, and this was a homerun for me. :pineapple:

4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

That's probably because people don't know it is there. I "like" The Beach Boys on Facebook and I never received any notification that they uploaded the song. I do get regular posts from them, however, about t-shirts for sale and asking people about their favorite album or BB collectible.

5. bikemore

bikemore Member

I've seen people say this before, but I really don't think there's any chance of that. We know there were several attempts at a completed H&V single in early '67, one of which was released years ago. We also know that there are clues out there as to how they might have been arranged. Given that, I'm sure Linett & Boyd are giving us, at worst, their approximation of what the 45 would have been. They have way too much respect for the material to just put various session material on an actual 45.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's going to be groundbreaking. It could very easily be something along the lines of the Cantina version up to the tape explosion, followed by the repeating "heroes" sections with the Swedish frogs inserted, plus the false barnyard fade. Hopefully it's something much better.

6. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

That sounds like a fantastic result for Capitol to me. This isn't a mainstream seller by any stretch of the imagination, & if they can get those numbers it's a pretty impressive acheivement.

7. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

So are y'all only confirming the Worms vocal revelation in the sessions, or the new vocals in Child and Look as well?

Hmmmm? :angel:

8. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

Well, not really. This is a very very esoteric project, brilliant though it is. We're all excited about it because, well because that's us, but outside forums like this - no interest at all would be my guess.

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

:cheers: That's right, I know you were pulling for this one and man did they deliver. Easily better than the old GV Box version and the best new edit from the set so far, IMO. It was a little jarring hearing that alternate "Do A Lot" chorus at first, but I really dig it with the prominent xylophone. And I love the way Brian kicks off that fade now and you can hear those string pluckings so clearly. I can't wait to hear this one on my stereo.

10. Ken.W

Ken.W High Potentate of Lurve

.. and that could also open the floodgates wide for more archival releases in the future :goodie:

11. Tristero

I assume you're just talking about the full box, not the 2 disc edition. I know it may be a bit obscure for the average rock fan, but I really hope that this makes a big splash. This stuff deserves to be heard and celebrated.

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Good. Then they can spend more time making a good packaging design, unlike DSOTM Immersion set

13. Royce

Royce Senior Member

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

15. JustNadav

JustNadav New Member

I meant the tracks on Disc 2 of the 2CD version, not the 45, if it wasn't clear. I'm most excited about the double-sided single and sure Mark and Alan did a great job at (re)-constructing it, I'm just not sure that it will be included in the 2CD version considering this second disc is only consisted of (assumed) session material other than those "Part 1/2" tracks.

16. JustNadav

JustNadav New Member

That's one of the wierdest things I have seen on the net in a long time.
    Does it come as a giveaway with the box-set?

EDIT: Just saw this http://toddwinkels.blogspot.com/2011/09/excerpt-from-barnyard-novel.html. It actually looks like a pretty boring read. Shouldn't the members here claim copyright on this thing? :)

17. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

18. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

19. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

20. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

You're in there by the looks of it, along with Pawnmower, Tristero and other usual suspects. I wonder what the copyright laws are with this? Presumably discussion boards are public domain. Strange indeed!

21. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I'm a turkey-lurkey over at the Smiley board and I noticed that a couple of days ago a poster called 'ghost' was banned, and possibly his sock-puppet account as well (who's name I can't remember).

Maybe he's behind it, he seemed like a bit of wrong 'un.

Hopefully it'll be back soon.

22. bikemore

bikemore Member

You're probably just kidding, but I'm pretty sure that once you put something in an internet post on someone else's forum, you lose the right to control it. You're already making it available to the entire world, so you can't really be damaged by someone else reprinting what you said.

23. Tristero

Oh my, the Ghost is a bit batty, isn't he? I'm not one who's easily offended, but I can see why they banned him (though I suppose we shouldn't be making assumptions without proof). At any rate, get well soon, Smiley board!

24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'll contact the law office of Beckner, Mason, Wagner and Hunt and we'll file a cease and desist by sunrise tomorrow.

This is scumbaggery of the highest order. Makes me not want to post in a public forum ever again. From now on my posts will be two dimensional and dull, and all the Smile related information I give will be as bogus as "Here Come De Honeydew Man".

And yet strangely I feel compelled to buy the book just to see my own words in print. I'll finally be able to add "Published Author" to my resume.

25. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.