'The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,' to be released on June 8!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yorick, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I'd rather see a 'Stars and Stripes' Vol 2.

starduster and Ryan Lux like this.
  2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I just bought this last week and apart from reminding people "Kokomo" exists, I thought this was an interesting variation on their songs, especially the ones where the strings just made the songs sound more like Spector.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  3. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  4. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Were members of the Orchestra properly forced to camp out up in a room with a tent and a sandbox for days shortly before recording?

But seriously, I am looking forward to what must be the next phase of the touring Beach Boys - you know - with the holographic avatars.

5. Peace N. Love

Kidding aside, I was mighty impressed by the efforts of Foskett, Cowsill and the rest of the Mike/Bruce band last time I saw them. Whenever Mike, Bruce, Brian and Al finally hang up their Pendletons for good, I would happily pay to see the remainder of the Mike/Bruce band in concert, especially if they joined forces with Brian's touring band.

maxwell2323 and MarkusGermany like this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Can't get it to work here on 'normal' google or firefox.
    I'm not too bothered.
    Now, how about an upload multitrack mix of a song from 'Sunflower'.
    That would really brighten my day.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  7. Peace N. Love

It seems to work on Chrome. That said, it's a 30 second clip and you get to mix 3 channels. It's not super exciting. If this could be expanded to include full-length tracks, more channels and so on, it'd be a blast. I also would probably cease to be able to function in any other aspect of my life, because I'd just sit there mixing Beach Boys tracks all day. "I gotta skip dinner tonight 'cos I'm mixing the 'yeah's out of 'It's OK'. Or maybe I should just crank them right up? Go all in?"

maxwell2323 and cwitt1980 like this.
  8. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Well....while we are on this topic....lets see how the current Beach Boys and a symphony orchestra sound live.

9. Peace N. Love

10. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

So, according to Wiki there were multiple versions of Sloop John B that were recorded. Which version was used for the orchestral arrangement? It doesn't sound like the one on my "Made in U.S.A" cd.

Sloop John B - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Got the standard black vinyl today. Nobody else?

*crickets*

Cover art looks nice all big like, though Brian still looks like Jamie Lee Curtis. I haven't played it. Not sure I need to. Maybe best to keep it as a souvenir of 2018.

G B Kuipers likes this.
  12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Is that a new backing track on "Darlin'"?
    Yes it's highly compressed, but it sounds fantastic. The vocals too.

Wish I could have it without the orchestra!

13. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I personally think it is awful. The lows labels will go to keep the mechanical royalties coming in is pretty remarkable.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  14. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I’m with you 100%

15. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Listening to this release now. I'm honestly enjoying it. Granted I only paid $11 for the 2LP version on popmarket a few weeks ago, perhaps if I had paid $35-$40 for it I might not be as jazzed. But, I'm enjoying the sound and packaging. It's pretty much an "is what it is" kind of release. Fun enough but hardly what I'd call essential. :righton:

Pants Party and G00dVibrations like this.
  16. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

I got the vinyl for Christmas from my brother when it came out and I never got around to playing it until recently. Something I've never encountered before - the hole in one of the records wasn't cut wide enough, so it doesn't spin in time! It's like listening to an extremely warped record.

17. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Another reminder of why CD’s are better...:D

MarkusGermany and oldsurferdude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.