The Beatles '89/When we was Fab

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MelodyFair, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau Thread Starter

I have created a fictional Beatles reunion album from the late 1980s and would like to share it with you all. Made up of some of their most "80s" sounding tracks, I wanted this to have a consistent sound rather than just a collection of their greatest hits. I also wanted it to be a consistent "new Beatles sound" vs. trying to mix in as many "Beatles sounding" tracks. I think if they had reformed, and John had been alive, we would have seen something more like this than the next "Let it Be". Make the playlist and give it a try, and let me know what you think!

Now a bit of fan fiction for you all:

"Reflecting on their career nearly 20 years after their breakup the Beatles have reformed for a mature modern album, which according to George Harrison will address 'relationships, struggles and successes'. Many have asked how this will fit into their catalogue, Ringo Starr reportedly said 'Why does it have to?'. The album will be available in stores late November 1989 on Cassette and Compact Disc." - Fictional Rolling Stone Magazine, July 1989.

Side 1

Good Times Coming/Feel The Sun - Paul
    Picture Show Life - Ringo
    Nobody Told Me - John
    All Those Years Ago - George
    I’m Stepping Out - John

Side 2

Figure of Eight - Paul
    Watching the Wheels - John
    The Pound is Sinking - Paul
    When We Was Fab - George
    Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) - John

2. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I would give it 3.5/5. Some of those songs very early 80's. Feels stylistically inconsistent. Sorry, man.

johnny q and Crimson jon like this.
  3. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Seriously, I’m intrigued, don’t hate me, but how can you beatles fans come up with these threads every day? I admire your creativity, I seriously do.

4. MelodyFair

This is (probably) my first one like this. I enjoy the music a lot.

Man at C&A, lightbulb and theMess like this.
  5. MelodyFair

Give it a listen, it paints the portrait of the late 80's slightly out of touch band getting back together, their brilliance shining through the harsh reverb which is present on almost every track.

6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

The OP didn’t intend for this imaginary album to “stylistically” fit with their work from a decade earlier.
    We all know The Beatles constantly evolved musically.
    (If fact, in the 80’s, IF a reunion album leaned too much to their past, they’d be accused and criticised for lazily rehashing their work...)

I read the OP’s basic goal as “to have a consistent sound”, within the selected songs themselves, furthermore,
    “wanted it to be a consistent "new Beatles sound"

So, in a roundabout way, You’ve confirmed that goal was achieved. ;)

YMMV

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    theMess and MelodyFair like this.
  7. MelodyFair

We all knew the Beatles ‘89 would cause controversy, opinions were divided upon its release, some critics expecting a more traditional sound. Fictional Rolling Stone Magazine would go on to say that, “The Beatles ‘89 is stylistically inconsistent, which makes sense when you take four men who have gone their own way for twenty years. Sales were boosted by the recent release of the Beatles catalogue on compact disc”. However, other critics would praise the work declaring, “a moody reunion album, thematically consistent and engaging.”

applejam101 likes this.
  8. lightbulb

With all due respect to you, I think this thread is valid, mainly because it’s inspired by the OP’s sincere thoughts and their passion for a band’s music.

(Would there be criticism of a similarly themed thread IF it was about The Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc?
    Perhaps it’s because many Beatles fans just find their music THAT inspiring...?)

This is not a silly thread about “Macca Facial Hair”.... :sigh: :shake: :laugh:

Their actually may be other Forumites that are intrigued by this interesting “Mind Game”, if you will.

If not, then this thread will just sink to Page 20 within 15 minutes.

(Actually, posts like yours and mine, help keep it “afloat”.)

Just some thoughts...
    YMMV

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like the idea. I don't know many of those songs though. Watching The Wheels and Nobody Told Me are great Lennon inclusions. I've always loved Nobody Told Me.

MelodyFair and lightbulb like this.
  10. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

well since this album apparently is released in 1989 I feel like a better Ringo song that fits with the time period would be something from the late 80s like "I've Changed My Mind" and When You Wish Upon A Star

theMess and lightbulb like this.
  11. MelodyFair

Give it a listen, and imagine you found it on cassette at a thrift store for 50 cents. :D

lightbulb and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Of course it is valid, I’m amazed by how they can create lists to every hypothetical situation lol. There’s a list for everything! I’m not complaining, I think Beatles’ work is so vast it allows to do such things. If the band was rolling stones, led zeppelin, etc I would have said exactly the same thing, but their fans apparently aren’t as passionate as beatles’.
    Anyways my opinion won’t stop these kind of threads, not that I want them to stop, but what I say is insignificant. That being said, I’m gonna make a playlist right now of my mid-70s beatles reunion! just kidding. I love the beatles as well, don’t get me wrong.

MelodyFair and lightbulb like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Looking at the track list again, I only don't know the Paul & Ringo tracks. It surprises me as Paul is my favourite Beatle. George writing two nostalgia based songs on the same cassette isn't something I could imagine happening. He was too cynical for that!

14. lightbulb

Apologies for mis-reading your post, and your main intent!
    :oops:

Thanks for clarifying, if only just for me!
    :cheers:

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  15. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

I've always wondered why McCartney's live rendering from this era, "Trip The Live Fantastic" was so critically panned?

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've never heard it, but is it possibly because he was perceived as an uncool has been at the time?, or perhaps it could just be bloody rubbish!

The late 80s weren't a kind time for many of the people from the sixties and early seventies. Neil Young bucked that trend with his best music in many years.

Fullbug and ian christopher like this.
  17. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Too much Ringo.

18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I loved it then and love it now

longdist01, 905 and ian christopher like this.
  19. MelodyFair

I thought of George at the time and maybe he was the only one into it for nostalgia and not wanting to give his new solo material to the project. Paul also wasn’t into it, planning his upcoming world tour, but John and Ringo saw this as a chance to extend the Beatles legacy and find new fans. Overall the album would prove to have its fans but ultimately be underwhelming leading to John to announce in 1993 that he was retiring from music. Yoko and John would leave a cassette that the remaining three Beatles would produce into their last two singles, Free as a Bird and Real Love. The “When we was Fab” album would end up in the delete bin, only a hard core fan favourite. ;)

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

To be honest, I stop at the 1974 period when it comes to creating these fantasy albums because i think the "ex-Beatle" material, overall, became extremely erratic (quality-wise) following this point and i can't even find myself creating albums of consistently "good songs" in which at least John, Paul and George are featured (and much as I hate to say it, forget Ringo altogether beyond Goodnight Vienna)). That said, this is a truly good effort on your part and an interesting one. "Mature" is definitely the word that comes to mind but the song selection could have even been a bit better. I'd have replaced Steppin' Out with Woman and Good Times Coming with This One or even My Brave Face. Still...this is a good listen. Nice job.

theMess and MelodyFair like this.
  21. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Any reason to not include "Handle Me with Care"? Just because George was writing and recording with a few quasi-famous friends doesn't mean he might not hold this nugget out for a Beatles album. :cool:

theMess, MelodyFair and Man at C&A like this.
  22. MelodyFair

Great and timeless song, but doesn’t have that drenched in 80s sound I wanted. Handle Me with Care could have been an incredible Beatles song!

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Well it should have included Paul's unreleased "Return to Pepper land " ...can't get much more Beatle nostalgia than that

theMess likes this.
  24. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Okay. Hold it out for your Beatles album drenched in 90s sound. :bdance::tiphat:

MelodyFair likes this.
  25. MelodyFair

Grunge Paul... remember him in the early 90s when he wore all that super baggy clothing? :laugh:

Tuco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.