The Beatles Anthology DVD---STEVE'S THOUGHTS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

My old set had the ride mounted on the bass drum too. It was always falling over sideways!

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

LOL!!! I know, its happened to all of us.

You know, I have tons of Buddy Rich Video, and his NEVER moves, and hes wailing like crazy. I always wondered how Buddy kept his from moving.

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Despite the way it looks, Ringo has always played very lightly....

4. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Nah...watch it again MatrixMan. And the Washington '64 footage while you're at it. He's THUMPING that kit good and proper :)

Cheers

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What brand of cymbals you you all use? I prefer Zilljian.

6. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Re: Re: The Beatles Anthology DVD---A few thoughts

I think they did this because Stu died a year or so after he left the Beatles.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I've recently switched over to Sabian.

8. Steve Hoffman

Beatle experts,

Anyone know where this little Anthology snippet came from? Film of the Beatles walking through a bank of BBC TV cameras, Ringo waves to the camera operator as he's walking by. Obviously staged with more than one camera set up. Maybe shot for some newsreel? Looks middle 1963...

Anyone know? Those TV cameras look intimidating!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  9. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Speaking of Ringo's drumming, I also love it on the Blackpool '65 session in the Anthology, particularly on Help. His timing and feel are just impeccable.

10. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Beatax; and One After 909 bass

Great drum stand on I Want to Hold Your Hand, advert for Pentax camera. Only it's a Beatax!

On the closing credits Disc One, Chapter Two, One After 909. Stereo mix, man, that bass line moves! Just propels the whole song. Never heard this version, great stuff.

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Well, I mean lightly as compared to somone like John Bonham. Yes, Ringo was really the first guy to BASH the drums, but he had to have had a lighter touch to get the sounds that he did out of his hi hat.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Now that I've finally watched the whole thing, I wanted to resurrect this thread to comment on this statement:

Since I watched the set AFTER I read this thread, I paid attention. IIRC, George only did this twice - maybe three times if you count the supplemental disc. Ringo did it once as well. Both he and George used it because they didn't want to sound like they were praising themselves. Ringo calls the Beatles a tight little band, while George remarks that "they" were pretty funny in "A Hard Day's Night". He also mentioned that "they" gave their nervous systems as part of their fame.

With maybe one or two exceptions I might have missed, that was it. George otherwise ALWAYS called the Beatles "we" or "us". If you counted the "we" and "us" statements and matched them against his "them" or "they" remarks, it would be a ratio of about 1000:2.

On the other hand, it continues to annoy me to hear how often Neil Aspinall referred to the Beatles as "us" or "we". Granted, when he did so, it was always (usually?) when it DID apply to him as well; ie, he used it in circumstances where he participated, like on road trips. Still, there's something cheesy about it - kinda like if I'm the water boy on a championship football team and I talk about how "we" won the title...

13. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Colin, I don'y really hold it against Neil for using "we" or "us". He was part of that operation and still is. Yes, he wasn't a musician in the Beatles but he was part of the Beatles machine. Think about our lives. When we recollect about past events or work there's usually a "we" or an "us" thrown in when other people are in the mix. I think it would not be healthy for anyone's ego to refer to past shared memories with other people (even the Beatles) as "they" or "why ask me, I don't matter"... :)

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As I mentioned, I have to grudgingly acknowledge that Aspinall doesn't seem to do it when the situation doesn't directly involve him. It just sounds self-aggrandizing to me - don't ask me why. It also seems odd that he uses so many "we"s and "us"es but the other two non-Beatles involved don't. That's partly why it feels so wrong to me and it appears to me like he's trying to make himself more important than he was...

15. Steve Hoffman

The thing is, Colin, that Neil A. was there every day with the band. If you were a roadie, and someone asked you what hotel the band stayed at on August 3rd 1965, you would naturally say "We stayed at the Fairmont". No one would mistake you for a band member. I can understand that, he was with them every day.

But GEORGE, would have said: "I don't remember where THEY stayed".

(Not really, but you get my drift).

I do agree with you about Neil, but only because he was the one who killed the DCC / Beatles projects.

16. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: The Beatles Anthology DVD---A few thoughts

I noticed that gaff on the DVD also. Anyone find it odd that they recaptioned all of the Anthology volumes for the DVD release? When it came out on Laserdisc and VHS the original captions from the TV broadcast were left intact. Wonder why this was done?

17. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Steve, can you disclose why he "killed" the project? What were his reasons?

18. Steve Hoffman

19. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

"...here's another clue for you all..."

Really, it's nice to know it wasn't Yoko for once! ;)

20. Steve Hoffman

Yoko Ono (bless her heart) was up for it.

21. Matt

Matt New Member

Thanks, Neil. :rolleyes:

Don't forget George's famous quote about "Beatle-George" being a shirt he used to wear.

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This is right. Neil was part of the inner circle. George M., though he worked with them musically, was on the outer circle.

23. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Well, I guess these things happen, but now I'm starting to gnash by teeth when I think about what we could have had. (And when I realize what we will most likely end up with: NO NOISE!)

Ugh. This thread is starting to depress me just like the other one where Steve told us how close it was...

Damn! And I always liked Neil. (I still do). He really was/is an honest to goodness "fifth" Beatle. Ironically, he's a guy that actually heard the songs being recorded, but is "audio ignorant" when it comes time to hear them reproduced at home...:(

24. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I can respect you not wanting to answer.

25. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

If we turn to The Complete Beatles Chronicles by Mark Lewisohn- page 119-120.
    Tuesday 27- Friday 30 August 1963.
    "From Tuesday to Friday, the Beatles filmed a number of contributions to a 30 minute sociological documentary being made by Manchester based BBC-TV producer Don Haworth, aming to capture the essence and atmosphere of the "Mersey Beat" boom...."

Then- "On Wednesday 28 August again from 9:30 am, the Beatles were filmed in a dressing room at the BBC's Dickenson Road premises in Manchester, frankly discussing their past and their aims and hopes for the future, considering that the present boom probably couldn't last much longer. They were also filmed applying theatrical make-up, as if they were about to go on stage for the previous day's concert shoot and intently walking around backstage with their guitars as if they were about to make a BBC tv appearance."

If you continue to run the DVD footage you then see the Beatles on the ferry boat...

"On Thursday 29 August, the Beatles were filmed walking on the top deck of a ferry boat travelling between Liverpool Pier Head and Wallasey, signing autographs and looking over the bow."

Then the next bit is the famous snippet of George picking up Ringo outside his house and they drive off together mobbed by fans....

"On Friday 30 August, shooting took place outside Ringo's house, 10 Admiral Grove, Liverpool 8. Ringo was filmed coming through the front door, battling his way through a horde of kids and getting into George's open-top sports car, which then sped away with kids hanging on the back.
    (Paul and John were at this shoot too, but did not participate in the sequence used.)"

Finally, we all love this snippet...
    "Ringo then shot a solo scene, in which- to realise his oft-stated long term aspiration to become a ladies' hairdresser- he was filmed walking along a line of women sitting under hairdryers in the salon situated within Home Bros. clothing store in Lord Street, Liverpool city centre."

I just happened to watch my dvd a couple weeks back and remembered these little snippets. Replayed them which are in Anthology episode 2- chapter 1. Then turned to Lewisohn who never ceases to amaze.

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.