The Beatles - Bootleg Recordings 1963, "release" (part 3))

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

How does £39 sound? That's over $60. That's the price in the UK.

theMess likes this.
  3. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Or the $70 here in Oz :)

4. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

$55 in the EU (39,99 EURO)

5. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I'm waiting for these to appear on future anthologies with better sound artwork and packaging at a lower price

6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It isn't- there are many more live recordings than are on that list. Even a short film clip of them performing A Taste of Honey- but I think that's from 1964, bizarrely!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The world of 2099 will indeed be a wonderful place.

spindly, theMess and mikrt17 like this.
  8. mikrt17

In 2099 nobody who loved them will be alive to buy or even care who they were.

9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

There is a recording of a Beatles show made in Bournemouth in August 1963 that apparently sounds pretty good. Unfortunately, Apple found out about it in about 2001 and bought it. So, no release for that, ever!

10. Boogie Nights

Boogie Nights New Member

Would someone please tell me to stop refreshing the iTunes page in the vain hope that the price will drop dramatically?

I need to be told.

Paul H and Pennywise like this.
  11. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Still, Apple/Universal can make a tidy sum selling a dozen copies to students of the 20th Century, can't they. I dunno, none of it makes sense to me. I say release it all. Apple haven't done anything yet except re-release bootlegs, Zappa style. Yes, SQ is up, which is good. Contents- 99.93% previously heard, which is not good. Anthology project will be "20 years ago" in 2015- they MAY be considering a 20th anniversary re-boot, and I hope they are, but I doubt it. Universal may take another look at the sales of and interest provoked by this download and beg Apple for more. Let's hope.

theMess and The Band like this.
  12. Beatles Bible

Beatles Bible Forum Resident

It's £34.99 here in the UK, which is a little over US $57. Still overpriced. The $40 they're charging in the US converts to about £24.

13. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Like no one cares who Mozart, Beethoven and Bach were? I think they will still be popular as long as people listen to music.

14. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I spent more on a night out when I was single and had no kids. I'll get a hell of a lot more value for money out of this release.

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm sure that if I bought this, I'd only listen to it once, then file it away. So for now, I'll resist the temptation.

16. mikrt17

I'm predicting a whole new anthology series but with another title, Universal will be pushing for this
    after buying EMI and the success of this bootleg album is proof that there is an audience out there
    for this material, I think Universal have better marketing brains than Apple and know what they
    are doing business wise so watch this space.

17. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I always listen to every new CD at least twice to make sure I don't miss anything. Sometimes this is fun, as with these bootlegs; sometimes not so much, as with Unfinished Music #2.

lennonology likes this.
  18. mikrt17

OK point taken.

The Band and TonyACT like this.
  19. Anna Crusis

Anna Crusis Well-Known Member

There are four wrongly dated songs in the set. The correct dates are:

18. Too Much Monkey Business - from Pop Go The Beatles 11 JUNE 1963
    20. Do You Want To Know A Secret - from "Saturday Club" 25 MAY 1963
    21. From Me To You - from "Saturday Club" 25 MAY 1963
    22. I Got To Find My Baby - from "Saturday Club" 29 JUNE 1963

She Loves You #39 and #46 are the same performance, but different air dates.

Four tracks have never appeared in stereo before:

4. Do You Want To Known A Secret - Track 2, Take 7 (2:17)
    5. A Taste Of Honey - Track 2, Take 6 (2:12)
    7. Misery - Take 1 (1:54)
    8. Misery - Take 7 (1:56)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I am listening to samples at the moment. They sound so clean, loud and over separated.... Maybe the bootlegs sounded better (i.e. muddier, mono, slightly muffled)? :D

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

You mean, "much shweeter than wine."

spindly, fitzysbuna, supermd and 4 others like this.
  22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, all the I Saw Her Standing there and Misery sessions were booted in stereo. I don't get why people are saying they weren't.

23. Anna Crusis

Anna Crusis Well-Known Member

I made a slight error there - 6. I Saw Her Standing There - Take 2 (3:07) has appeared in stereo but not the other four. They have always been in mono on every bootleg.

24. slane

slane Forum Resident

Plus the 'undubbed' version of 'Money'. I'm not sure if this IS the actual undubbed version or just the left channel of the stereo mix (haven't studied it too closely yet). But I wonder why this has been released? If it IS just one channel of the stereo, might it be to stop PD companies creating a similar 'outfake'? And how do Apple/Universal stand if PD companies did create outfakes and try to pass them off as existing (but unheard) outtakes (say from the Rock Band extractions)?

25. Boogie Nights

Boogie Nights New Member

Forgive me if this has been answered before. Does anyone know why Universal owns the rights to these recordings?

When Universal sold Parlophone to Warner Brothers I would have thought that all tape multitracks and masters would have been part of the sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.