The Beatles - Bootleg Recordings 1963, "release" (part 3))

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an east coast buddy. Ever hear about buddy groups? And he's sort of extended family so more bang for your bucks.

2. Paulismyname

Paulismyname Forum Resident

I saw that too. Check to see what country you are signed in as. I was on New Zealand and then went back to US and I got the $39.99 price there.

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

You're in the US and seeing $70?

4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You're assuming I'm going to falter? You have a low opinion of me, sir :(

5. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Oh Woman Oh Why...

6. helter

helter Forum Resident

112 users 121 guests on this thread ...wow!

theMess likes this.
  7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Almost every post from someone who's downloaded it remarks about the superior sound of this. Some even go too far and try to say 'Bad To Me' is in improved quality- it certainly isn't, sounding exactly the same as ever. But everything else is crisp, clear and full.

theMess likes this.
  8. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

After yesterday, some people are accidentally connected to the New Zealand iTunes store...

jbg and Paulismyname like this.
  9. Just had a chance to browse through all the previews quickly - can someone confirm that among all the BBC stuff, there's only 1 or 2 tracks where they're performing live in front of an audience?

10. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

If they REALLY wanted to get these out without anyone noticing, they could have made them bonus tracks on the iTunes versions of Anthology and/or the BBC sets for a week or two...who would be checking the track listing anyhow?

11. Maybe the 121 guests should pay 39.95 to read all this. Price in your area may vary.

One Louder likes this.
  12. Charlie990

Charlie990 Senior Member

$39.95 for me a few moments ago at iTunes store USA

13. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Well "Bad to Me" is certainly better quality than I had it in before...off the first "import" LP I ever bought (NEMS' "Not For Sale")

scoostraw and theMess like this.
  14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

AND it's in full dynamic range, something positive that people seem to want to ignore.

scoostraw likes this.
  15. ProgDave74

ProgDave74 Forum Resident

I do not.

16. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

there are 5
    Love Me Do, Please Please me (twice), She Loves You, Do You Want to Know a Secret.

theMess likes this.
  17. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Consider me equal parts disappointed and perplexed. At $20, this is a no-brainer for me. At $30, I would probably swallow hard but pull the metaphorical trigger. But $40? Just not a rational allocation of sparse resources. For me.

18. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I vote with my wallet. I won't be buying these.

1. Lossy release - whether its from an old contract about digital rights to Apple the computer company or not, what prevents them from pressing CD-Rs for sale for those who hate iTunes quality/sound? Why purposefully create a monopoly on this release? Why not charge $5,000 for the set? Then it's "available" and no one has to buy them. I can't image how cheap those George Harrison Demo Disc Vol 1 discs were to make. What's the square inch cost of cheap, thin, cardboard these days? They have higher rez files. Let's get some access!

For those who say the demos "sound better" than what they've heard or don't think it can sound better, well just head to your McCartney Archive Collection and listen to the Uncompressed, Unlimited hi-rez "Woman Kind" home demo. And then listen to an iTunes counterpart if you wish. Paul McCartney and co. are handling his albums right. The Beatles... well, just what the hell are they doing? They are creating a random mess.

2. Is it true it's NOT available in the UK? Even if this is a "forced" release, why deprive the UK? Why deprive anyone of legal access to purchase just because of where their parents happened to have f*cked?

3. To me, this has been the least exciting time to be a Beatles fan - nothing has excited me since the '09 remasters. Thankfully, I'm also a huge Beach Boys fan and it's a WONDERFUL time. Remixes, remasters, box set chock full of unreleased stuff, brand new studio album, The Smile Sessions box set - all within the past 3 years alone!

Head on over to iTunes if you like that format (you have to type in "Big Beat 1963" as it's not listed under "Beach Boys". You'll get the evolution of a brilliant songwriter/arranger through demos, studio backing tracks, and more.

Or get it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beat-1963...&qid=1387301710&sr=8-1&keywords=big+beat+1963

Jeff

19. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

It's intriguing to me that last night everyone was so angry that they "knew" this wasn't going to be available today. Now it's available and we're complaining about the price. - Though it does seem that in the UK it is mighty high...

I'm not sure I ever really thought about the price going into this, so I am not really upset about paying $35 for 59 songs. It's less than a dollar a song. And I know many of you think "you're playing into the game" or whatever, but this is coming from a guy who has spent $50 or more for a 1-track promo CD single, just because it's a slightly different mix... Some people would come back and say "well, that's collectable, it's different... apples to oranges, it's physical product"... but I collect files too, I guess.

Not all of the BBC recordings are improved, but the things that ARE improved are really nice. The studio sessions are very cool... and though I know someone will compile all of this stuff and edit it into the latest unofficial BBC upgrade digital download box set, I will feel okay about downloading (if I choose to, which I'm not sure I'll ever do) because I paid for it to begin with. - Everyone wants something for nothing and really we all knew they were throwing this out for copyright extension reasons, not trying to make a "HUGE" deal out of this. WE are the ones who made a HUGE deal out of this.

As has been discussed before, we have had the majority of these recordings for YEARS. If you really only want whats "new" out of this, get the studio tracks, "Some Other Guy", "Love Me Do" and maybe the demos...

By the way, are the 2 versions of "She Loves You" the same recording? I need to go listen to that.

Mij Retrac, silvio, supermd and 2 others like this.
  20. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Is there any definitive proof that the studio recordings are from the master tapes? Moot point perhaps, as the files are lossy.
    The 90s b***legs of the this material sound very good with no apparent generational degradation.

21. PhoffiFozz

Right... I know I have a slightly improved version somewhere, but I still think this one is better... I know it's the same source...

22. PhoffiFozz

I don't know what "proof" we can get. But they almost have to be. Yes, they sound awesome on the boots, but these sound even better, if you ask me my opinion...

23. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

$40 for mp3, I'm out.

Fleet Fox likes this.
  24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

There are four versions of She Loves You, two of which ARE the same recording, but they were played on two different radio shows. Still, proves no-one was listening when they "compiled" this.

theMess likes this.
  25. arnt

arnt Forum Resident

Roger Stormo's published another blog post in which he says something interesting right at the end.
    "However, hot-on-the-heels of today's release "Bootleg Recordings 1963", we heard whispers of more to come - even before Christmas. Stay tuned...."

This wouldn't suprise me at all: If this release is for copyright reasons, why not releasing all the other takes of the PPM and With the Beatles albums which are available on bootleg?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.