The "Beatles For Sale" album (1964). Unfairly ignored or underrated ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

How do know Paul's girlfriend didn't have a import copy ? Anyway McCartney was aware of him in 1962.

Seltarb likes this.
  2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I listed songs that were Dylan esque regardless of their album.
    Certainly John could be influenced without meeting him but it didn't hurt.
    We all know of John's "Dylan period"

Skywheel likes this.
  3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The early Beatles albums don't get as much attention or criticism as the later albums, but they're a lot more fun to listen to. The lads start losing their way on Sgt. Pepper. I listened to it for over a month in my car recently in effort to come to terms with all the sound effects and mind games. They would turn out consistently great music up until the last micro-second of their association, but I would rather listen to Beatles For Sale than the 1967 and later albums.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  4. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

to me its a going through the motions got to get out an album for xmas product. That having being said there are at least 4 or 5 top top self penned songs on it, and to me it also has the distinction of being the first modern sounding Beatles Album, before BFS they sounded like a beat group, but BFS heralds in 1965 and the changes in pop/rock that year would begat. To demonstrate, a self penned track from BFS would fit seamlessly onto Rubber Soul, but try that with a track from before BFS & it would sound seriously out of place.

Mackaveli likes this.
  5. Price.pittsburgh

Agree fully, which is why I'll be back sounds better on the BFS US counterpart Beatles 65.
    It was already getting to that point with that song on AHDN album.

Mackaveli and muffmasterh like this.
  6. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I had Beatles 65, which is a great LP except for I guess that organ solo in Mister Moonlight. But the Lennon songs are great, and what I take was the collaboration on Baby's in Black was a real step forward for them. I love the covers, too, and when the CD came out with the UK listing, I loved that, too. Great stuff.

7. BMV

BMV Well-Known Member

The song "I Will" from the White album is a near perfect fit for Beatles for Sale, to me. The song style and sound production are so close! And from such an entirely different phase of the band.

Mackaveli and andrewskyDE like this.
  8. Price.pittsburgh

I dig that organ solo

BMV likes this.
  9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"She Said She Said" has 3/4 sections ("No, no, no, you're wrong. When I was a boy, everything was right. Everything was right").

"Strawberry Fields Forever" also has a bar of 3/4 between that last two refrains. The refrain itself could be considered as two bars of 3/4 or perhaps one bar of 6/8.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Check out this Australian cover for the album:

[​IMG]

It looks like a pirated copy of the album but it isn't! :laugh:

11. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I laughed when I read this, because I love the organ solo. It's so out-of-place in a Beatles song...but I like that a lot. I see where you're coming from ;)
    I remember listening to the mono Beatles For Sale in 1987 on a car ride at night with a full moon during the summer. That's when that organ hit me...

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Mr. Moonlight- a song so bad that not even a cool organ solo can save it for me. :)

Mackaveli, Man at C&A and Vinyl Socks like this.
  13. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

:p I knew I'd catch heck for loving the sound of that solo. The lyrics are really silly...

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The organ solo is the best part of the song, for sure. :)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Cheesy like a good pizza in the evening.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:laugh: I like that!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. George on side two in stereo clinches it for me as a top lp.

"Ahhh, rock on George, for Ringo, one time...."

18. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Words of Love, I'll Follow the Sun, and Eight Days a Week by themselves make this album essential.....

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If you have someone in your life who is a new/casual fan just discovering The Beatles and you want to buy them a few Beatles albums make sure Beatles For Sale is one of them. :)

20. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

it is my 3rd favorite Beatles album, 1. Hard Days, 2. Help 3. Beatles For Sale.

21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

A real Early-Middle fan.

22. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

For early Beatles UK I rarely listen to anything but Please Please Me and Beatles for Sale. Beatles for Sale has such an atmosphere and "fall" feeling to it, maybe because the cover invokes a sort of autumn environment.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, the album has kind of a mellow, calm vibe to it- probably because they were exhausted when they recorded it. :)

MelodyFair likes this.
  24. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

There are many of us. There is something about a great rock band at full throttle, as so often heard on those early albums.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  25. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

You can see it on the cover, poor Beatles :( But what an intense album. The real question is, Stereo or Mono?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.