The Beatles - Free As A Bird and Real Love: 1995 vs 2015 Mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shak Cohen, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident Thread Starter

You knew this was coming, right?
    Cast your vote and comments about which mix of each song you prefer:wiggle:

2. Shak Cohen

I voted for Real Love 2015 - love that heavenly intro, and all the extra detail in the mix.

Whilst I really appreciate having a new mix of FAAB, the '95, does it for me...a bit more 'otherworldly', best Harrison vocal take, and best outro ("..made by John Lennon):righton:

zobalob, JimC and theMess like this.
  3. Shak Cohen

4. Shak Cohen

John Grimes likes this.
  5. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Real Love 2015
    Free As A Bird 1995

Maidenpriest, RonBaker and Shak Cohen like this.
  6. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Both improve on the 95 mixes EXCEPT for the new George vocal on his verse, bad decision to replace the original performance IMO.

grandegi and theMess like this.
  7. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Not available in the US :\

8. Shak Cohen

It's a clip from the BBC Four documentary, Mr. Blue Sky. You may have seen it already...

heatherly likes this.
  9. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I like both 2015 versions better, particularly Real Love, but why did they change George's verse on Free As A Bird?

Mike Bass and theMess like this.
  10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I think both new remixes are awful and am amazed that they are so popular.

Dyland, Adamski777, DrBeatle and 5 others like this.
  11. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

To
    Paraphrasing what someone once said, it's the Beatles, shut up"

jammincrowe likes this.
  12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

don't like the change of end of johns voice on Free As A Bird 2015 ! I like real Love 2015 ! I wonder if the bird effects of Free As a Bird will make it to cd though.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  13. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I would still pick original mixes although I am very glad to have new ones. It's just it were these two tracks I've heard first produced by Lynne. I have not heard anything else - no Willburys yet, no Petty album, no George album. So these two tracks were the introduction to the classic Jeff Lynne style of production. Therefore, I do not have this negative connotation that these tracks rip off the style. Remixes naturally sound more Beatle like in a way. Lynne did everything humanely possible to make it sound less like his production.

JimC and Seltarb like this.
  14. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Can't vote because I haven't heard the new versions yet, how's the poll going?

15. leeroy jenkins

2015 is beating 1995 like it's 1999.

willy, Sean, Ben Adams and 8 others like this.
  16. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Kind of the only reason I want to get the set, those 1995 versions can easily have been improved.

17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

For me the heavenly intro is in the original, the big sounding intro on the new mix does nothing for me.

paulisdead and Seltarb like this.
  18. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Love that quote from Ringo "I am the f***ing click track!!"...ha! :righton:

19. I Walk Like A Panther

I Walk Like A Panther Forum Resident

What bugs me is that we know so little about these new mixes. Why the different guitar lines? Why the different vocals?

I can't listen to the 2015 mixes without the changes jumping out at me, so I'm going to go with the 1995 versions: the ones I fell in love with.

20. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I think the OP is making some major suppositions about how common this knowledge is. I consider myself a huge Beatles fan, but I had no idea there were remixes of these songs. I don't believe this is widely known.

Where can I hear these remixes? I've long thought they could have been done better with more recent technology, since they were largely technical creations in the first place. In particular, I've heard that there are better-sounding, lower-generation copies of the John demo tracks available, which could make a big difference.

One artifact from John's demo of "Real Love" that I just can't get past is how the piano gates in and out with the vocal. It grates on me so much that I can barely listen to the song. I suppose that's not something that can be remedied in any remix.

glenscott, dbone828 and edski like this.
  21. qrysdonnell

qrysdonnell Forum Resident

I never had the hate for the original mixes than many do, but I can admit it sounded a tad too much like everything else Jeff Lynne produced. I would say I prefer the new mixes though. Hopefully they'll see a wider release.

I'm also happy to see these songs included on something other than their initial releases. While they may not be as good as much of their traditional catalog, they're by no means Jar Jar Binkses.

Seltarb and JimC like this.
  22. leeroy jenkins

There's a lot to like about the set. Real Love benefits the most from the remix of any track offered. I actually like it now, where I couldn't really stand to listen to it before. The lyrics still annoy me, but not much they could do about that.

JimC likes this.
  23. leeroy jenkins

I've always struggled listening to it also. They've fixed this, and it sounds vastly improved. It's on the bonus DVD or Blu Ray on the deluxe version of 1+.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  24. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Someone posted a sample of the remix, sounded good from what I could hear. I don't mind the lyrics.
    FAAB the lyrics may be a bit weak, but that seemed far from complete. Didn't like the sample of the new version
    of that 1 as much, but was interesting.

25. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

IMO, the originals have the fairy dust, the new ones are a curiosity at best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.