The Beatles Greatest Holland LP question.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rubber65, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been trying to research The Beatles Netherlands/Holland Discography LP release dates and I'm getting conflicting information. More specifically, The Beatles Greatest Lp. This is not the German LP of the same name. The Beatles Greatest Lp released in the Netherlands/Holland has the whispering intro in I Feel Fine and does not have the hi-hat intro in All My Loving. What I'm looking for is the first release of this Lp. Some say 1967 and some say 1968. Can anyone help clear this up. Thanks.

omhs3001dre-main.jpg

2. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

3. Rubber65

4. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

My Holland copy (OMHS 3001) dates from the late '70s ( I assume) and has the reverb-laden 'I Feel Fine' and hi-hat intro on 'All My Loving' - I believe the 'OMHS 3001'was the second time it was issued in Holland in 1967, the first Issue had a different catalogue number and dates from 1965 as far as I know...

5. Rubber65

A friend copied it on CD for me and my Beatles' Greatest has the whispering intro on I feel Fine and no hi hat intro on All my Loving. They must have kept the same track order but different I Feel Fine and All My Loving in the late 70s

6. Rubber65

Just to ad

The Beatles Greatest
    6/1965
    Odeon SMO 83991 <STEREO>(German Sleeve)"Made in Holland" or "Vervaardigd in licentie door NV Bovema, Heemstede, Holland" on Label

Odeon OMHS-3001<STEREO>
    with "BIEM" on Label

Odeon OMHS-3001<STEREO>
    with "STEMRA" on Label*

Odeon OMHS 3001<STEREO>
    (Gold Coloured)*1978
    Odeon 5C 062-04207<STEREO>
    (Purple, Orange, Yellow, Gold Coloured)Export to Germany
    038 CRY 04 207 (Export to France)

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Per Christoph Maus' "Beatles Worldwide"

Germany original release date - June 18,1965, Odeon SMO 83 991

Holland original release date - June 1965, Odeon SMO 83991

8. Rubber65

That's awesome thanks. Just wanted that initial release date. sweet.

9. Muzyck

My Holland copy purchased in the early 80's (OMHS 3001, matrices - 1C062-04207-A-2 F , YBEX 50070 - 2F) includes the high hat intro to All My Loving IIRC. I am 99% sure on this because I used it recently to put together my own true stereo version of "Meet The Beatles". The other source I have for that track was a German copy of "With The Beatles". Last time I check that one out, it sounded a little flat to me.

I just purchased a later German Odeon "Greatest" with blue labels, but have not had a chance to listen yet. SMO 73991. Matrices YBEX 50069 - 1 Manufactured In Germany / YBEX 50070 -1 Manufactued In Germany

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  10. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Mine has the reverbed I Feel Fine.

11. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

12. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Ahhh! I had this back in the 70's and traded it in. It was the loudest mix I've ever heard of Ticket to Ride.

13. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I bought this back when I was a kid because none of the U.S. albums included "From Me To You".

14. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I need to get my TT out of the shop and play this.I have the pre '78 STEMRA one listed here.I suspect it's early 70s,because of the boxed EMI on the front,and the SPLHCB cover shown on the back.

15. Jae

Jae Senior Member

I'm fairly certain that the mastering with the "whispering intro" I Feel Fine and the All My Loving sans hi-hat wasn't introduced until around 1982/3; the same time as the Crystal reissue.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There are at least two versions. One mirrors the German issue (hi-hat All My Loving, fake stereo I Feel Fine), while the other appears to have been compiled in the UK (no hi-hat on All My Loving, true stereo IFF with whispering).

17. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I just picked up a very clean copy of this title today, but since it has the "Crystal" logo, I'm assuming that it's the reissue. Unfortunately, my t'table took a dirt nap and I can't play it yet! :-(

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think the pressing that contains the whispering intro of I Feel Fine is on yellow vinyl. I don't own it, but remember reading about it somewhere.

19. Muzyck

I had a chance last night to check out a German copy I picked up recently. Sounds nice. Not sure of the year. The vinyl is real quiet too.

[​IMG]

Germany SMO 73 991
    Matrices...
    YBEX 50069 - 1 Manufactured In Germany
    YBEX 50070 - 1 Manufactured In Germany

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  20. Rubber65

I find it hard to find exact dates for some of these foreign releases and exact dates. It looks like countries like Germany, Netherlands, Austria, etc released same versions of some of the albums with slightly different mixes at different times.
    Does I Feel Fine have the whispering intro?

21. Muzyck

No. It has a fake stereo mix.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Muzyck likes this.
  23. EasterEverywhere

I think the German has the "Hi Hat" All My Loving" though.

24. Muzyck

Mine does. The Holland pressing I purchased in the late 70s / early 80's does too.

25. EasterEverywhere

That's the same one I have.The first issue,from 1965 is on the white and gold label.This pressing was made sometime between 1969 and 1973.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.