The Beatles "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" original 1965 stereo mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

They also removed the "very slight" Lennon lip smacks on the intro of IN MY LIFE.

They are hardly noticeable on the 65 Canadian stereo version.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    videoman and lukpac like this.
  2. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I grew up with my father's copy of the UK Rubber Soul stereo LP, and it was quite a shock to hear that '87 CD for the first time. :(

David Austin, kiddo4 and Rubber65 like this.
  3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The guitar hitting the mic in the middle of "Run For Your Life"?

The 'cough' in "Norwegian Wood"?

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The cough is only in the mono mix.

DrBeatle likes this.
  5. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Lukpac, yes I tend to side with the Canadian version, but both mono box stereo and Canadian versions are an improvement over the 1987 stereo mixes (for those that like the stereo version, that is)

BeatlesBop likes this.
  6. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

How would I go about getting those Canadian CDs, I would like to have the unfutzed with versions? Your Who and Stones recommendations are always spot on Luke, Amazon Canada, EBay?

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Got the mono box, am happy with the stereo mixes on them.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've gotten my copies on eBay. Sellers will list copies known to have the original mixes for a lot of money, but copies still sneak through where the seller has no idea what they have. Searching for the Canadian catalog numbers (C2 instead of CDP) is a start.

tdavis0903 likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well that factored into many I'll bet!

10. There's nothing wrong with a bit of hiss if it was coming from the multi-tracks. This was just an idea. Neither you or I or anyone can really have an opinion on what they would sound like unless they did a remix and re-released the catalogue again.

11. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Well, they did remix and released the tracks on "1". That's more than 10% of their entire catalog. I imagine that would probably give us a pretty good idea of what it would sound like or, at the very least, how much tape-hiss would be reduced.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  12. No, I wasn't quoting anyone. It's just what I thought.

13. Were all the tracks on 1 remixed?

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

On the most recent version, yes, other than those that are only mono.

15. So they were. I had the original 2000 release of 1, but I thought it had been heavily compressed. According to Wikipedia it was re-released in 2015 (again, remixed). I hope the mastering is better this time around. It would be interesting to hear.

I see they've done new 5.1 surround sound mixes as well for this re-release of 1, and they're available in lossless Dolby TrueHD on the Blu-ray edition.

16. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I have that box set but have only watched the BD sets and listened to them with the 5.1 mixes. Haven't gotten around to playing the CD yet. Not sure what the differences are. There's gotta be a 33-part thread here about them somewhere?

17. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Ebay would be your best bet. I live in Canada and there are tons of pawn shops that have the 87 Beatles CDs that people got rid of and I've spotted a few Rubber Soul and Help Disque americ in their 1 dollar bins. If you ever get a chance to visit Canada, I'd hit up a few pawn shops for the fun of it.

BeatlesBop and tdavis0903 like this.
  18. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

The new "1" CD remix mainly focus on centering the vocals (where needed) while generally keeping all other instrument placements the same. The balance levels have been changed a bit to add more "punch" (Giles was quoted as saying his goal to create a stereo version of the mono mix). Overall, its mostly faithful to the originals and not like the more radical approach we heard on Yellow Submarine Soundtrack or Love.

I think you can hear the improved clarity/fidelity from working off the pre-bounced multi tracks but overall reviews here were mixed. Some found the remixes to be lacking the cohesive musical quality of the originals, others thought they were too conservative in their approach, etc.

videoman likes this.
  19. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

For fun I did spectrum deltas for a couple of tracks off 2 1965 stereo mix CDs, i.e. 1987 Canada Disque Americ & 2009 mono box H! & RS ones:

Help!
    01 - Help!
    [​IMG]
    13 - Yesterday
    [​IMG]

Rubber Soul
    01 - Drive My Car
    [​IMG]
    07 - Michelle
    [​IMG]
    All tracks analyzed are at equal perceived loudness (track RG=0.00dB) & lined up at start/finish (the polarity on Help! Canada 1987 & 2009 mono box CDs is reversed, BTW). FYI, I slightly prefer 2009 mono box H! & RS CD remasters myself... :)

teag and lukpac like this.
  20. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

^^^ The complete spectrum graphs for the tracks mentioned are as follows:

Help!
    01 - Help!
    [​IMG]
    13 - Yesterday
    [​IMG]

Rubber Soul
    01 - Drive My Car
    [​IMG]
    07 - Michelle
    [​IMG]

lukpac likes this.
  21. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I differ from Lukpac. I prefer the '09 stereo remaster of the o-mixes over the Canadian CD's. Yes, the Canadian's sound more "open" because there's slightly more high-end, but they sound thin. The '09 versions have a nice bass bump and the stereo imaging is a bit narrowed. You also get that nasty thump on "Run For Your Life" removed. My go-to listen is vinyl though. Vinyl sounds better than either of them!

Derek

22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I have the 1987 & 2009 CDs, plus the Capitol version of Rubber Soul and I have yet to hear Rubber Soul with centred vocals! Some songs yes, but not the whole LP. Am I missing something?

23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Mono version? You'd get all the centred vocals you want that way...

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I did a search in this thread..but didn't find my answer.

Do the stereo mixes on the Capitol Box set #2 that include Help, Beatles VI, The Early Beatles and Rubber Soul....of the HELP songs, 6 on Help, 2 on Beatles VI, and 2 on Rubber Soul...have the original '65 mix or the '87 George Martin remixes ? I realize that the 'stereo' Ticket to Ride on the boxset Help has a duophonic version..but I wonder about the rest.

Can anyone tell me ?

Thanks.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Original mixes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.