The Beatles "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" original 1965 stereo mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Thanks for the instant response !

I'd thought so but didn't have them handy to reassure my thinkings. :D

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I still do not understand why some people think the original stereo mix of UK Help DOESN'T have the lead vocals centered, IT DOES. And GM's remix added reverb true. As for Rubber Soul all the reverb in the world did not center the vocals, the vocals are still hard right with reverb smeared from right to left. As bad as the original mix of Rubber Soul is, it is still better than the newer GM abomination.

goodiesguy, BeatlesBop and kiddo4 like this.
  3. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

There's a version floating around dubbed from the Rock Band game that is stereo with centered vocals.

Dan The Man1 and Keith V like this.
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

My God, did I overpay for those CDs in 2006, when it was first discovered on this forum.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  5. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

I feel your pain. I did the same thing. However, we never had any indication that they would ever be available in the future. In fact, the thought never crossed my mind, and I felt that the Canadian discs were just a fluke.

Tommyboy likes this.
  6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

If you are not aware, there was an issue with the incorrect mono mixes used on the initial release of the Capitol Box Set Volume 2 by The Beatles. See this thread (and also the Part 1)
    Capitol Beatles Box Set Vol 2 - Continued (Part 2)

7. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

From an audiophile standpoint, I prefer a little bit of thinness to a narrowed stereo image, digitally removed "imperfections" and a hefty dose of noise reduction, but that's just me.

Dan The Man1 and BeatlesBop like this.
  8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

He's serious.

GetHappy!! and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  10. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

At which points on the 2009 CDs do you hear the noise reduction?

905 likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Off the top of my head there's some at the start of You've Got To Hide Your Love Away.

12. OnTheRoad

Yes...I got my replacements back in 2006 shortly after it was first announced...I believe thru a Bruce Spizer site IIRC. I'd just forgotten if the mixes were from the true original Capitol tapes which for sure would've been the pre '87 Martin remixes. Just makin' sure on that....so there are 11 tunes in that Box #2 that can make an original mix, British configuration, Help. The only true stereo tunes NOT in that boxset are Act Naturally, Yesterday and Ticket to Ride. I've got the MONO box so DO have the entire original mixes of Help and Rubber Soul. I know a lot of people discount the Capitol box set cd's..but I LOVE THEM !

stereoptic, cwitt1980 and Keith V like this.
  13. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

And the (virtually inaudible) lip smacks on the right channel of the intro to IN MY LIFE are no more.

14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Listening to the 2009 Rubber Soul on Spotify now. The GM mixes. On Apple buds it sounds nice. Make of that what you will.
    *disclaimer
    I don't like revisionism but it's nice having 5 Rubber Souls to choose from (counting the U. S. ). Oh and the Rockband version.

Beatles Floyd likes this.
  15. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Do you mean the original George Martin mixes? Or the George Martin remixes?

16. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

All over the place, both mono and stereo. Usually on intros and outros a'la Jon Astley, but in some "quiet" places as well. It's very easy to spot when you compare any of the original CD's (including the Canadian RS & Help) to the 2009's. It's just one of many reasons why the 2009's completely suck.

And if you are wondering why you have never "heard about this" before, it's because nobody cares. New releases always "sound great", and lord help you if you dare to disagree.

Happy listening!

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  17. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Remixes

18. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

This is why I couldn't tell if you were serious before. The NR used in the 2009s isn't some secret. And it's not "all over the place". Nor do they "completely suck". I certainly don't prefer every one of them to other masterings, though. And there has been plenty of debate and disagreement about them.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. OnTheRoad

Hey....

Ok so we have the original stereo mixes of Help and Rubber Soul included in the Mono Boxset.

We have the '87 REmixes on the early cd issues AND those are on the 2009 remasters.

Ok....so....the 2000 issue of "1"....does that include the Help (Help, Yesterday and Ticket to Ride) tunes from the original mixes or the '87 remixes ?

I'd thought I read where Giles Martin did a NEW remix (not the original or '87 remix) for the 2015 "1"....is that correct ? Stereo versions ? and the 5.1 surround (certainly).

Keith V likes this.
  20. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

That is correct. Not sure of details though.

21. OnTheRoad

Well...I'm gonna compile my own original mix cdr of Help's British configuration using the Capitol Boxset versions and the '88 Past Masters...but if the 2000 "1" versions are the ORIGINAL mixes...I'd use Ticket to Ride and Yesterday from that...so I'm trying to get THOSE details about the 2000 "1" release. :)

Keith V likes this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

And the Canadian CDs.

The Help! and Rubber Soul songs are the 1987 remixes, as they are on the 1993 Red CD.

Yes, remixed.

23. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Nope. Those songs on the 2000 "1" are the remixes. They sound close enough. The original Stereo Help and Rubber Soul mixes are on the mono box in case you didn't know.

24. OnTheRoad

Hey thanks...and you know what...I just realized that Past Masters does NOT have the tunes from Help. So...dang. I'd hoped that the first "1" had the original mix. :( And I don't have the Canadian cd's of those. Oh well...it was a thought. I'll just use Help 'periphery' tunes like I'm Down (Past Masters), Yes it Is, Dizzie Miss Lizzy and Bad Boy (Cap boxset Beatles VI tracks) and make an early mix ~Help~ cdr excluding those early mixes I don't have. Oh..I might include If You've Got Troubles and Yesterday (no strings) from Anthology 2 as well....:)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  25. OnTheRoad

Yeah...I've got those original mixes on the MONO set...but I'm gonna make an early mastering compilation of ~Help~ tunes...associated recordings from the time too.

Keith V likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.