The BEATLES on The Ed Sullivan Show DVD underappreciated?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clark Kauffman, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Great DVD set. Absolutely indespensible.

2. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I do treasure this set regardless of the ciggie commercials missing.

I just want to see the entire show with all of the other performer's that were on also.

But it is cool watching some of those other older black and white commercials.

3. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Thanks for this thread. I just ordered my copy from Amazon for about 8 bucks with shipping. :eek:

I was nine years old when the first show was broadcast. My sister and I were sitting about a foot from the set and the Beatles were burned right into our brains. Went from a redneck to a hipster overnight. :laugh: .... Asked 'my mum' the next day if I could grow out my crewcut. Saw a look of fear in her eyes. It's been there ever since.

4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

As an answer to your last question: I think the earliest CBS had Marconi cameras running was 1962; I saw a behind-the-scenes photo of one of those cameras at (I think) the White House, with Fred Friendly in the shot. Probably connected with the Jacqueline Kennedy Tour of the White House special. But at the time CBS bought the Marconis, no one knew the extent to which color would explode in a few years. Ditto for when ABC purchased RCA TK-60 B&W cameras in 1964. (Which CBS had avoided for the obvious competitive reasons.)

5. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident Thread Starter

A few more screen captures. These are from the Feb. 23, 1964 broadcast...

Attached Files:

6. Clark Kauffman

And just a few more screen captures: The amusing opening of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" (the movie), in which a worker corrects the spelling of the group's name on the theater marquee, plus a shot of Ed trying to restore order in the theater at the end of the third broadcast.

Attached Files:

7. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect.

The Stones did the Sullivan show on May 2, 1965, and their next appearance was a scorching performance on February 13, 1966, when they did "Satisfaction", "As Tears Go By", and "19th Nervous Breakdown".

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

^Those basket-type windscreens look awfully Schoeps-ish, but that doesn't seem likely for CBS TV circa 1964. (Schoeps was around, though, and producing thin mics like the 221.)

9. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

That's funny that you should post those screen shots of the Ed Sullivan Theater from "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". That exterior was actually shot on the backlot at Universal Studios. Though they did a great job of making it look like the real thing.

10. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

One way to tell that those photos were from re-creations: The absence of the CBS Didot font (which I'm way familiar with).

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Notice you can tell John was wearing glasses backstage by the indentations on his nose for the first appearance.

Is the Elvis Sullivan dvd set equally as good?

About 10 years I saw that the rehearsal video of one Beatles Sullivan appearance DOES circulate on a video trader list. The collector in question had access to some UBER RARE stuff that's not known online. Anybody know more or which appearance. They also had the isolated camera angles from McCartney's/Wings Kingdome 76 video.

12. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

:bigeek:

13. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I think Herman's Hermits were on the first color broadcast.

14. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

Did I say Stones? I meant Dino Desi & Billy. They were on the first color Sullivan show. I get those guys mixed up all of the time. :o

15. Clark Kauffman

One more classic photo from the initial Feb. 9 appearance...

Attached Files:

16. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thanks for the screengrabs. Nobody that didn't see that live on the tv can comprehend what it meant, what it changed in us. I did, born in 1954, I was glued to the screen. I know I didn't see all the Ed S appearances, however. Too busy playing outside or horsing around somewhere! Who knew what was on TV? Who cared....them was the days.:D

This rejuvinated thread has inspired me to dig out my dvd, though, and I'll be watching it in a few. I can't believe that this is selling for $8 now, even being out of print. Dang! I remember lining up at BB to buy this on the day of release! <I bought the Grey cover>.

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Timeless stuff, kicks off a flurry of memories. I really liked the last show, it was "miked" properly and it was a gas to see them perform "Ticket To Ride", one of my favourite Beatles songs. John & Paul together at the mike, good friends indeed. The performance of "Help" is priceless.
    Paul deserves to be a millionaire < is he "Dorian Gray", or what?> and I still can't believe John was stupidly murdered and George is gone. So many thoughts, this really is a priceless dvd.

18. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

LOL!

Desi is a dead ringer for a youthful Keith Richards.

19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Thanks to this thread, I pulled out my copy of this last night and enjoyed it very much. It WAS underappreciated in my collection, but no more.

20. Great advice, great memories! Many thanks for the heads-up!

I just have to drop my 2 Canadian cents in here for a minute. My family and I did watch, and were bowled over by, the live February 9 broadcast (we were already regular watchers of Eddie's show by then). I was just 6 years old, but since my elder sisters and bro were into pop music - and this from memory only - I think I can recall that the feeling of excitement here was augmented yet by a sense of familiarity with the music. Which is now supported or at least documented by the history of Canadian Capitol's "independent" releases of the first records. In other words, the more I get old, the more I think back about this TV show, and the more I have the feeling that we were already relatively familiar with at least a few of these songs. I should have a talk someday with my next-of-kins about this... My eldest sister had bought the Twist & Shout album pretty early on... So they ought to know more than me, but unfortunately they're not much into that sort of stuff anymore...

21. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Same here! :righton:

22. Beatle Terr

Clark what a great photo to put up of The Ed Sullivan Theater with the Marqee and The Beatles on it!! Now that's PRICELESS!!!:righton:

23. Beatle Terr

Just an awesome behind the lens picture.:):):)

24. Beatle Terr

The DVD set is really great. Many guys here paid much more for it from a TV commercial. I saw another or the same TV commercial and I mentioned it here only to find out that the DVD set was for sale at my local Best Buy and it was now only $19.95. I have a bootleg CD set of just the music from Sullivan shows that I bought on Ebay auction that I paid over $40 bucks for and I thought that was a great deal at the time.

25. Clark Kauffman

Imagine being a salesman for Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Hofner or Ludwig on the morning of Monday, Feb. 10, 1964...

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      47 KB
      Views:
    • b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      43.8 KB
      Views:
    • c.jpg