The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

When I played it with headphones straight through a few weeks back I was expecting to hear the tone, but instead heard a gap then the repeating nonsense track and I was all "They left it out!" until accepting the sad fact that I just can't hear that high anymore and am that much closer to death. :mudscrying:

Thanks a lot, Giles. :realmad:

;)

dan c

2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Wouldn't that trumpet still be on the multitrack? If so, a remix would have been nice.

rnranimal likes this.
  3. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Is there any reason to by the EU vinyl over the US version?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  4. I may have read here that they all came from the same place (all pressed in Germany), but don't quote me on this.

5. Maybe Giles can put a sound for middle aged folks on a dearth fervent reissue! I was able to detect it until about five years ago.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Giles used a 16khz tone while the original had a 15khz. Maybe you can still hear the original. Or maybe you are just closer to death.

7. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Just picked up a set of Meze 99 Neo phones with a balanced cable from Surf. Even at 67 years old I can hear the tone when played on my Pono! Starts at 5:03 on the ticker, a little past the creaking chair...

8. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Since Pallas did the mono box I figured they did this one too

9. I noticed that the tone on the Blu-ray 5.1 mix is more pronounced than on the stereo CDs. Anyone else?

10. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

If I remember correctly the laughter on the mono version happens right before the guitar comes in. In my opinion it doesn't belong there, either.

ParloFax likes this.
  11. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

12. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

I just checked, it does happen right before the guitar and that electric piano kick in with that F chord on the mono version.

Also, in both original and reprise version, they probably had the applause followed by laughter on the tape, that's why it appears in both versions. It's not like they had laughter separately to insert anywhere. Seems they just reused the 'audience fx/ambient' stuff from the original version in the reprise. Check Rock Band isolations for that.

13. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

A while back I mentioned that I'd played Let It Be Naked to an eight year old girl who by a process we haven't quite figured out, discovered about a year ago that REM is her favourite band.
    Although she'd listened to it happily, she later opined that 'They're not as good as REM' and then said 'I don't like The Beatles' (because she had the feeling I didn't agree that REM are better :p)
    The other day I shushed her because 'Within You Without You' had just come on BBC 6Music and I hadn't listened to it on the remix album. I was amazed at how contemporary the sound of it was and frankly at how it sounded 'proper' in way it hadn't ever before. And she listened to it with excitement because she's recently become enamoured of things Indian (because of a cartoon called 'Shimmer and Shine' which has an Indian music element).
    'I really like that. Can we get it?' she said.
    'We've already got it. It's The Beatles.'
    'Oh maybe they are better than REM after all'

Now she's asking why they're laughing at the end.
    I'm wondering if it's too soon to hit her with 'Revolution in the Head'?
    :p

14. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I received email from local dealer that Chord Hugo 2 should arrive mid July for me.

I tried, in vain, to not listen to 50th Anniversary until it came, but was too weak!

I look forward to seeing what H2 can bring out in this marvelous album.

15. sab

sab Forum Resident

For SFF:
    The vocal you have labeled as Track 4 of Take 6 was retained in the reduction to take 7. (Take 6 has been bootlegged.)
    This was combined with the electric guitar (which you have labeled as Track 2 of Take 6), when take 6 was reduced into take 7 (In bootlegged/2017 mixes of Take 7, as well as the final stereo mix edit of Take 7/Take 26, both vocals and the electric guitar are centered, while the remaining instruments tracks of Take 6 (you have identified as Tracks 1 and 3 are both panned left.)
    Since the bootlegged Take 6 is missing John's second lead vocal for the chorus, and the extra mellotron, these must have occupied the newly freed up tracks of Take 7.

For SFF, I think that all of the drums/percussion from the supposed Take 15 and Take 24 edit were bounced to one track for Take 25, with the three remaining tracks of Take 25 consist of a track of mellotron and guitar, and two tracks each containing trumpets and cellos.

For Penny Lane
    Also, on Track 2 of Take 7 there is another piano part, which is labeled on the tape box. Presumably this is George Martin. This is the piano part that appears during the second half of the verses. (I.e. starting at "All the people that come and go.")

16. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Actually, we finally can hear 16kHz tone on the remix (previous stereo CD version had a needle drop of 15kHz tone signal with 13kHz & 17kHz overtones buried deep in surface noise, tape hiss & etc., so to hear the tone there you needed a notch filter). Now one can enjoy clean 16kHz tone in its full audiophile glory... ;)

17. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Play that 16kHz tone on your car stereo with the volume real loud and windows down and marvel at how all the dogs in the area begin to bark as you drive down the road!!!!! It's crazy! Really happens!!!!

18. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I can actually hear the tone in my right ear pretty well, not much in the left ear for some reason. When I play it on speakers, my min-pin mix (the older dog, about 7 or 8) looks all around and sometimes barks. My six-year-old beagle-hound mix doesn't even budge. I wonder if/why one dog can hear it but the other can't.

19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Not all dogs react to it even if they can hear it.

FJFP likes this.
  20. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I am sorry it becomes public domain 50 years after the last author dies... To my knowledge McCartney and Ringo are still alive, or did i miss something.

And you are talking about corrupt product, i am sorry but the remix is not a bad product at all !

Klassik and Shaddam IV like this.
  21. APH

APH Forum Resident

Feel free to enjoy it. Not trying to sway anyone at this point, but you can't simply state that it's not a bad product. Many think it is.

22. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

He can, and so would I. Because it is not to your taste doesn't make it a bad product. It makes it a product you don't care for. There are many dishes at fine restaurants that I would not like the taste of, but I would not call them a bad product.

FJFP, Klassik, Bosca and 2 others like this.
  23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I don't hear it any more but I can feel the pressure in my ear. My dog in 1965-1977 was pretty neurotic and went crazy. My dog in 1977-1988 raised an ear and looked disgruntled.

24. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

My dog reacts even when I'm listening on my headphones!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I attended the Cineplex listening event and this was exactly my experience. It was actually kind of uncomfortable when the tone came on, what with the volume turned up so high.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.