The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

A bad or good sounding mix will be unrecognizably so on a crappy system. A good system allows you to differentiate between them and is often more forgiving of a badly mastered or mixed album.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  2. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

And then again, I don't buy into your predjudice.
    It all depends on system set-up. Bookshelf speakers can sound truly amazing, within the proper set-up.

And again, with either system, you can recognise, wether there is anything going on in the rear speakers, that is not just duplicated from the front, just with some reverb.

Best regards

lukpac likes this.
  3. Tim Müller

Yes. Upper case. Period. The price tag is the most important sign of quality.
    That's why the 100 Euro priced super deluxe box sounds much better than my old 60s mono pressing of the l.p. Period.

Best regards

lukpac likes this.
  4. Tim Müller

Yes, sure.

Loud mastering is for crappy systems. On crappy systems, you can't hear anything. Therefore, everything needs to be as loud as possible to just get heard.
    That's what the Beatles said: For the mono mixes, the fought the muddy misty sound of the then crappy cheapo record players of the average Beatles fan.
    Today, the average Beatles fan listens in a car or on cheapo ear buds. That's why today everything needs to be as loud as possible.

Best regards

lance b and bobcat like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

What evidence is there about the listening habits of the average fans of the Beatles

bobcat likes this.
  6. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I think the average listener, "yer man on the street", listens in the car, on from a phone these days.
    Less and less people play music at home, whether this average person is also a Beatles listener is another debate.
    I think in 2017, probably not.

lance b, Tim Müller and Gila like this.
  7. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Those of us that like the '80s MFSL Beatles vinyl have been told numerous times on this forum that the reason we like them is our systems aren't good enough to detect how bad they are. We need to upgrade to reveal their crappiness.

I guess it depends on what argument you are trying to defend.

8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

So more posts are about insulting others and bickering than music discussion. And in the end, the noise you make is equal to the fun you take out of this discussion. Thread closed for now.

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I was about to close the thread, too! Seems like it's just about done.

DRM, Tim Müller and Keith V like this.
  10. Jerry

They can't say they weren't warned. And if the antagonists move to another thread and take their bickering there, they will lose posting privileges. I hope that they don't think that we don't keep track of those things, right Gary?

DRM, Gary, Tim Müller and 2 others like this.
  11. Jerry

OK, this thread is now reopened.

However, there will be ZERO tolerance for bickering, personal attacks, attacks on people's equipment and anything that derails this thread. If someone pushes your button, report it rather than respond, or else it'll be a two-fer. Happy to answer any question privately.

Please keep the thread on track with the topic, and have fun.

Thanks!

mrgroove01, Diego Lucas, DRM and 4 others like this.
  12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks, this thread is vital to my life.

bubba-ho-tep, Sidewinder43 and Gary like this.
  13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

14. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

For me the real thrill was the outakes after hearing them on this set in perfect sound
    I felt blessed. The stereo & mono is just like bonus tracks but they do sound good.

goat65cars likes this.
  15. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I'm one of those who does not like the remix that much. I've settled for the Rock Band remix as a modern remix of Sgt Pepper.

Tim Müller likes this.
  16. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

This guy gives a great review.

Peace and love.

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I'm glad PEPPER thread is back.

:D

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  18. Tim Müller

I feel the new re-mix is overly compressed. I noticed this at first listening, just after some few songs.
    The outtakes by comparison sound much better. The album itself should have been re-mixed like the outtakes.

The package indeed is nice. Has anybody finished reading the book? I just read the section on the recording session details.

Best regards

lance b, Onder, slane and 3 others like this.
  19. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Terrific review.

Spot on about how the stereo remix is too loud and that, given that a large proportion of Beatles fans could well be audiophiles, it was a mistake to do that.

I hadn't realised, but now I understand, why the vinyl version would be the way to go.

But since I abandoned vinyl about 30 years ago I will need to find someone who can put it on CD for me....

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The good news is that vinyl is still available, too! :)

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  21. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I must admit to some mixed feeling about this remix after living with it for a few months.
    There are some remixes like Getting Better I love, the tambura coming in is one the highlights of the Beatles catalogue for me and sounds incredible on the remix.
    Kite, Good Morning Good Morning and A Day In the Life are a mess and I would seriously question what Martin was thinking.

The session discs are great and they will be the only reason I would pick up a White Album box. If ever there was 2 releases that did not need remixes it would be Abbey Road and the White Album.

Dee Zee, Onder, Tim Müller and 4 others like this.
  22. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Straight away someone stirs the porridge.

23. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Yes they tried to cut those records as hot as possible so you could hear everything on those dinky little record players and transistor radios. Same thing today except with car stereos, laptops, and cell phones

They sound awful on decent systems though

bobcat likes this.
  24. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Seemed like he was just posting his opinion to me.

MoonPool, OobuJoobu, lance b and 5 others like this.
  25. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I wonder how the cd's from Super Deluxe box sound on a "rack system", ha ha:pineapple:

jjh1959, therockman and lukpac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.