The Beatles - "Something New"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kulbot, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kulbot

Kulbot Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is one of the first Beatles records I ever owned. I listened to it a LOT. Bought a Spin Clean recently and this was one of the first records I got back into good listening shape. Wow. What a great record. Great set of tunes. Things We Said Today into Any Time At All into When I Get Home into...

Overall a great set of music. Side Two opens with I'll Cry Instead! I don't see this mentioned much so I thought I'd get a discussion going. I have the original 1964 West Coast pressing. Damn, it sounded good tonight.

Simon A, Tuco, J.K. Baxter and 18 others like this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I have a rainbow LP, the original pressing I've owned from about 1976 and a 2014 US CD. Very strong compliation (I use that term to define Capitol butchering of the UK LPs). Side one betters side two, but If I Fell is one of their best arrangements vocally.

3. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Something New, along with The Beatles Second Album in original mono have long been favorites of mine. It's my favorite album cover, too.

4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Actually, the album OPENS with I'll Cry Instead. Great song! :righton:

5. Kulbot

'

Ha! You're spot on! I was reading the song list on the front cover when I posted. See what a few glasses of wine will do? :agree:

6. Kulbot

So...I'll Cry Instead into Things We Said Today into Any Time At All...

Side Two begins with Tell Me Why.

I'm such an idiot. Just listened to the record an hour ago. :)

Bigbudukks likes this.
  7. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Well, I will be home from work in about 20 minutes, so I will soon find out!! ;)

paulmccartneyistheman and Kulbot like this.
  8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Same here. Something New has always been a favorite of mine and also one of the first albums I ever owned, I remember getting it for my 8th birthday. At the time, and I think for years after, I had no idea it wasn't a 'real' Beatles album. I still think it's great. Side one especially. Lots of great Lennon vocals on that side.

jsayers and Kulbot like this.
  9. Kulbot

That's funny. I didn't know it wasn't a proper release either. I hadn't listened to it in a long time before tonight. Wild.

10. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

What do you mean its not a "real" Beatles album? Beatles on the cover, Beatles on the record. That makes it a real Beatles album. :hide:

11. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

John had a special affection for this Capitol compilation.
    He says so with "In My Life"
    "And these memories lose their meaning, when I think of love as something new"
    :laugh:

12. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Of course. But it's a compilation and not an original UK...I don't know why I'm explaining this. You surely know all that.

Grand_Ennui, Maidenpriest and Adam9 like this.
  13. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I've had a Spin Clean for a good while (and very much like it!) but not "Something New." I'll have to do something about that!

14. Price.pittsburgh

Capitol was the official U.S. Beatles label granted as such by George Martin and EMI to present the band to the American market.
    Something New is every bit a real Beatles album as any UK title.
    The American public who accounted for the largest majority of global Beatles album sales for nearly 3 decades before cds, weren't buying a bunch of counterfeit products.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  15. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I agree!
    I had these real ALBUMS I held in my hands when young, called Meet The Beatles, and The Beatles' Second Album, and Something New, and others, that I loved!

16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

17. Price.pittsburgh

And Yesterday and Today, Beatles VI and Beatles 65.
    This goes for the different versions of same titles too, Rubber Soul, Revolver etc.

18. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I have a version of this on stereo but I can't play it because it's too warped to play...

19. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I bought this one on cassette circa 1985 - my second Beatles purchase (after buying the 20 Greatest Hits compilation in 1984). I still have both.

20. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I have put together a pretty extensive collection of this LP. Here's what I have.

Canada, stereo rainbow Capitol label
    Canada, mono rainbow Capitol label
    US, stereo rainbow Capitol label
    US, stereo rainbow Capitol label (record club version)
    US, stereo green Capitol label (record club version)
    US, stereo green Capitol label (record club version with Longines print)
    Jamaica, rainbow Capitol label
    Dominican Republic, Apple label
    Costa Rica, red Odeon label
    Peru, rainbow Capitol label
    Peru, black Odeon label
    Germany, stereo white/red/gold Odeon label
    Germany, mono green Odeon label
    Germany, stereo blue Columbia error label
    Netherlands, black Parlophone (CPCS original)
    Netherlands, black Parlophone label (1A reissue)
    Netherlands, yellow Odeon label
    UK, black & yellow Parlophone label (with "Sold In U.K. . . ." misprint)
    Japan, Apple label (red vinyl)
    Japan, Apple label (black vinyl)

I am missing:

US, mono rainbow Capitol label (probably the most common version), plus assorted reissues
    Canada, assorted reissues
    Peru, black & blue Odeon
    Germany, assorted reissues
    UK, black & yellow Parlophone (without "Sold In U.K. . . ." misprint)
    UK, black one box Parlophone label
    Japan, assorted reissues

But by all means please call it a fake Beatles album:crazy:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yes, for a change let's NOT let this discussion devolve into the usual "The American albums aren't real/are atrocities etc etc etc" b.s. ...the Brits tend to forget that to North Americans the Capitol albums were just as "real" as the UK Parlophone releases.

Something New is awesome. I can do without "Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand" but since it comes at the end of the LP you can just lift the needle off two and a half minutes early:D Sure, it's sort of a watered down version of the Hard Day's Night LP with a bit of the Long Tall Sally EP thrown in but it still works as an ALBUM. So to hell with the naysayers...not a real album:wtf:...you mean I've been hallucinating my original mono LP all this time? Who spiked my drink?:laugh:

22. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

Wow...you might love Something New even more than John. :p

23. jpgarry1

jpgarry1 Forum Resident

I remember getting my copy as a 7 year old (1965) on the Capitol rainbow label. I think I got it together with Meet the Beatles. It was amazing how many US versions of Beatle albums came out in 64-65. I still love this album today. The cover is one of the coolest the Beatles ever did. It still looks great today!

24. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Always found the tracklist to be a little odd.
    I guess they used what they had to work with at the time, though I'll Be Back, I Should Have Known Better, A Hard Days Night and Can't Buy Me Love would have benefitted the album. I never understood the the deal between UA and Capitol.

25. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

The latter three were singles, while "I'll Be Back" was saved for future use (ending up on Beatles 65 later that year). I think Capitol liked saving singles for later, they had no idea the Beatles' sound was going to change so fast, they expected they could just plop those three songs on a later LP in 1965. The same thing with "Yesterday" and "Act Naturally", both culled from Help! to become a #1 single, then kept off an album until 1966's Yesterday and Today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.