THE BEATLES: Their songs that were inspired by songs of other groups..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Although I've heard this many times over the past forty-some years, "Back in the USSR" more closely resembles Chuck Berry's "Back In the USA" right on down to the jet plane.

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

More accurately, a record review of "I Can See For Miles" is what inspired him. He didn't actually hear the song until after he'd written "Helter Skelter."

3. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

The "Swingin' School" thing is possible, but I definitely read that Paul cited "Forget Him" as a lyrical influence on "She Loves You"-- the idea about singing a love song by basing it around a "him" or a "She" rather that "I". And if you listen to "Forget Him" you can also hear similarities in the melody at the start of the verse.

Tony Sclafani likes this.
  4. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I absolutely loved "Forget Him" when it was on the charts by Bobby Rydell. It just constantly screws with my mind when I plant myself back there in the spring of 1963, realizing that as I was listening to that record every day... guess who ELSE was listening to it at the same moments a world away and then making some substantial creative decisions?

Rather than watching Route 66 and Twilight Zone every Friday night on tv, I SHOULD have been sitting there with Rydell's record and my guitar, trying to COME UP with something of my own :)

5. Tony Sclafani

Tony Sclafani Forum Resident

Regarding "What Goes On:" It might have been arranged to sound like "Act Naturally" when it was put to tape in '65, but it pre-dates the Beatles' recording of that song.

According to Lewisohn's "Sessions" book, the band was ready to record it March 5, 1963, at the session for "Thank You Girl," "From Me To You," and "The One After 909," but they didn't have time. It's said to date back even further than that, to the Quarrymen era.

Hey Vinyl Man and theMess like this.
  6. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

Interesting! because musically the similarities are startling, which I will mention if you like. it is not the arrangement I'm referring to but the tune itself. I don't think
    date they recorded Act Naturally has anything to do with it. The question is when the original buck Owens single was released. Could they have heard Buck's single before they wrote What Goes On? Now if your references are correct then I'm thinking the answer is no as my recollection is that Buck's single wasn't released until 64, but I haven't looked it up yet. Interesting.

Addendum: Hah! I just looked it up. Buck's single entered the charts April, 1963 . Now,
    If George is correct then that is still too late. But you know what, those dates are just too close for comfort to be a coincidence given the great similarities I've referred to. I suspect that either
    George is off a little in his date, or the info about the date it entered the charts is off a little,
    or they heard it after its release but before it hit the charts or ..............................
    and .................. who knows. :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

What Goes on dates back to the 1950s, easily predating Act Naturally. But both are based on a simple country shuffle anyway.

PhoffiFozz and theMess like this.
  8. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Jimmy Scott was not Jamaican, he was Nigerian. Different country, 3,000 miles apart. Last time I pointed this out on this forum I got a flip "same difference" which I thought spoke volumes.

PhoffiFozz, Binni, theMess and 3 others like this.
  9. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Halfway there, Relayer; it was Otis' Respect (Aug '65) that did the driving.
    DD

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  10. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

Fine. :)

Two things.
    1. What is your source that it dates to the fifties. Can you a) cite me an interview from one of the boys to that effect or
    b) refer me to an audio document. Because barring one of the above, it's just gossip. People say all kinds of things. So can refer me to one
    of the above?
    2. The similarities I'm referring to have to do with the specific melodies not something as vague as the fact that they are both "country shuffles."
    I'm talking about similarities as close as the similarity of Surfer Girl to When You Wish Upon A Star.

11. When the White Album came out, heard it one time and concluded that it was the history, present and future of Rock Music- all rolled into a double vinyl extravaganza.

Back in the USSR - as discussed before

Dear Prudence, Julia, Blackbird, I Will, Mother Natues's Son - contemporary influence of the time - Donovan, John Sebastion

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - while a George contemporary break-out, it was also a Clapton, guitar hero influenced display of genius.

Happiness is a Warm Gun is 50's Doo Wop, early soul-blues, modern pure Lennon

I'm So Tired, Sexie Sadie, Revolution1, Cry Baby Cry speak Bob Dylan

Rocky Racoon- Don't Pass Me By Buck Owens Country Western

Birthday, Everybody's GSTHEFM+MM - Eddie Cochran

Yer Blues - Janis Joplin

Helter Skelter - Who

Good Night - Nat King Cole

Of course Yesterday was from that early classic, "Scrambled Eggs." L O L

theMess likes this.
  12. Two of Us - Everly Brothers, "Take it Phil!"

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  13. chrischrischris

chrischrischris Forum Resident

The third section of You Know My Name (Look up the Number) - The Goons. More specifically Peter Sellers' character 'Bluebottle'.

theMess and Fullbug like this.
  14. margaritatoldtom

margaritatoldtom Well-Known Member

in 1967 'i'm only dreaming' by the small faces had a tasty ska breakdown at the end with the sax solo.
    also see sgt pepper1983's 'royal guardsmen' number on the next page.

cheers,
    rob

theMess likes this.
  15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

First of all, What Goes On was due to be taped in March 1963 so it was obviously written by that point, well before Act Naturally could have been heard by The Beatles.
    Second, John Lennon calls it "one of my earliest songs, back before the Cavern, in Quarrymen days" in the Rolling Stone interview. So, either Act Naturally must have been based on What Goes On, or any similarity is a coincidence, or The Beatles adapted What Goes On a little to make it sound more like Act Naturally.

theMess likes this.
  16. margaritatoldtom

is the bridge in 'i call your name' a ska thing, or more new orleans r'n'b style? (i know that ska was heavilly influenced by n.o. style r'n'b, but can't quite tell...). it kinda reminds me of fats domino.

cheers,
    rob

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  17. Tony Sclafani

Tony Sclafani Forum Resident

LENNON: "The Beatles made an attempt at ska - the middle - the solo on 'I Call Your Name' was ska - deliberate and conscious. Right." December 6, 1980, The Last Lennon Tapes

Back then, they might have referred to this as "bluebeat." To get an idea as to what they were going for, check Millie Small's "My Boy Lollipop," a big hit in both the US and UK in '64. [​IMG]

theMess and margaritatoldtom like this.
  18. margaritatoldtom

ok, thinking of 'mblp' i can hear it more clearly, though i'm only getting it really in the bassline- the guitar rhythm doesn't have the choppiness i'm used to in early ska/bluebeat . good to see that lennon confirmed it.

cheers,
    rob

19. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

All I've Got To Do may have been influenced by Soldier of Love by Arthur Alexander.

Tony Sclafani likes this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I believe the song 4th Time Around on Blonde On Blonde was a Dylan stab at Norwegian Wood. It freaked John out when Dylan played it for him. One wordsmith to another.

21. Not to overlook the enormous influence of Fats Domino over Lady Madonna and the Beatles, in general. How about Hey Bulldog, too?

22. Anybody else hear the Four Season's vocal influence on Tell Me Why from A Hard Days Night Album?

Hey Vinyl Man and kevinsinnott like this.
  23. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Sounds more like Love Me Do to me.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I can't believe I forgot this. Straight from George Harrison. FULL MEASURE by the Lovin' Spoonful. Not the song but the arrangement, had a big influence on STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER. George couldn't remember the name of the song but he remembered the drum beat and the little organ part and I named the song and he said that was it. I reminded him that the Spoonful most likely thought of that organ part after listening to WE CAN WORK IT OUT so it came full circle.. Can't believe I forgot this. A connection I would never have thought of...

25. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I never thought of it either, but I do hear the similarity between the horn riff in "Nowhere to Run" and the guitar riff in "Satisfaction."

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.