The Beatles U.S. Albums box set - your impressions...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

2. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

I just saw a commercial for the Beatles 1 album. It had the 50th anniversary logo at the beginning. Seemed strange that they would be advertising that...

3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

4. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

You said 'would have' instead of 'would of.' I think I am in love.

crispi, kch27, JimC and 1 other person like this.
  5. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

:righton:

Rickchick likes this.
  6. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

I agree that the stereo track must have been in place before 1971, as I am pretty sure, I bought mine in 1970
    and it has the true stereo tracks.

7. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I guess that's an indication of where the Beatles stand in popular culture at this moment, for the target demographic. But hey, at least that's not the only thing available. I hope we never get to that point...

8. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I am quoting myself here to correct a mistake I made when "Lukpac" asked me what I found wrong with John's vocal on the stereo version of "I Should Have Known Better". The bad double-tracking was, of course, on the following track, "If I Fell." :oops:
    It was typical of John's impatience with "tracking".

I still hear a vocal wobble on ISHKB though.

9. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

If you have a chance to stop in a record store in canada, you might find one relatively easily.

Several years ago, I was in Ottawa (I think) and found a store with loads of copies (sealed - must have been a re-issue).
    Bought one, and sure enough it had the mastering error.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  10. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It's a bit far from Denmark though :)

11. What if he were to start using the subjunctive tense? Would that be going too far?

12. I saw that this morning, a Walmart ad. I was listening with headphones (it was very early) and the music was in very tinny mono. Sounding like a 64 bps mp3, at best. It was frustrating to hear.

13. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

There's lots of amateurish/"sloppy" mixing on the stereo AHDN LP.

It was their first real attempt at mixing 4-track tapes into a releasable two channel product, and it clearly shows them failing at times.

They got a lot better at it with the next album.

But just as soon as they'd figured that out, there quickly came the need for periodic (and then constant/multiple) 4-track to 4-track reduction mixdowns, which they were never really able to figure out how to make consistently good stereo mixes from.

It's a shame they weren't able to secure an 8-track machine until mid-1968, as it took them very little time to master the art of stereo mixing from that (just in time, too, as their "mono-centric" world was already being forcibly taken away from them by late '68/early '69)...

fogalu likes this.
  14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Aside from the *mistakes* (no harmonica edit fix in ISHKB, fading down the wrong vocal track on If I Fell, etc), I'd argue the *sound* of the mixes is great. Also interesting is that Beatles For Sale and Help! were 3-point L-C-R mixes, but AHDN often had tracks panned to 4 different points.

brianvargo, Simon A and slane like this.
  15. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I'm absolutely with you on this point, Luke. One of the reasons I was disappointed in the 2009 A Hard Day's Night stereo remaster is that they applied some of the most heavy-handed changes to the album that, to my mind, needed them the least.

lukpac likes this.
  16. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Gonna pick up the box set today at Barnes & Noble. I have a couple gift cards and that will help make the price pretty reasonable. It's all your fault on here. I hope you're happy!

Jayseph and DLant like this.
  17. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I had wanted the set, but as I read more and more on here, I HAD to have it. Damn forum.

18. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

It's the mass-appeal product in their catalogue. Target had it priced at just $10 last week. Not a bad deal for a CD with 27 No. 1 singles.

19. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Exactly! I was just getting a couple of them to finish my 2004 and 2006 Capitol sets. But was that good enough? Oh, no. I had to keep reading this forum.

20. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I just bought mine a few days ago, and I can't stop looking at it. It is so beautifully put together.

dbacon likes this.
  21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

The only disc in this box with previously unissued (on CD) unique mixes is Yesterday and Today. I'll buy that as a separate disc and forego the box. I sure don't need The Beatles Story either - it's a load of infantile promotional rubbish highlighting the worst aspects of Beatlemania. They should have included At the Hollywood Bowl instead and let the screaming speak for itself.

vadthebad likes this.
  22. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

If they added the HW Bowl album then they would have people clamoring for all manner of 60's, 70's, and 80's albums, some that feature 50's artwork.

23. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Now, that would be cool! Maybe if they did it with some kind of mylar underneath, then have The Beatles with their instruments! Nah, it wouldn't work.

How about a compilation with just movie songs? Hey, they do it with Elvis, why not?

dbacon likes this.
  24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Why not? Because it wouldn't work!
    ReelMusicalbumcoverfront.jpg

25. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Probably THE. Worse cover.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.