The best $1000. Subwoofer for music?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please help me find the best sub for the money. I have zero interest in home theater, so the sub will be for music only. It will be mated with Monitor Audio Silver 300's. My room size is 14x22 with a 8ft opening into a 14x16 dining room.
    I have been leaning towards the MA silver 12 sub on sale for $998.
    Silver W-12 | Subwoofer | Monitor Audio
    Thanks

ctgregory likes this.
  2. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

IMO, the best sub for music will:
    be sealed;
    include multiple connection options;
    include high pass and low pass crossover adjustments;
    include a polarity switch;
    include a variable phase adjustment;
    include variable crossover adjustment;
    include a parametric EQ.

(The above list is not ranked in any order)

This would be tough to come by at this price point but the cream on the top would also include automated room correction setup. Without that it is on the user to dial it in using the adjustments listed above.

3. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

I own the SVS SB-2000, which is a sealed sub with beyond great musicality. I would highly recommend it. Amazing product, amazing support from the company. Zero regrets.

4. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I have a Sumiko S5 paired with my B&W 805D3's and I love it. I am in a 12x12 room, with acoustical treatments, for reference.

YMMV ;) Good luck.

Thouston likes this.
  5. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I also own a SVS SB-2000 mated to B&W 683 S2's.

As Slimwhit33 stated it is an excellent sub and going at $699 below your budget (-;

6. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

I agree. Check the SVS offerings. I have two SVS PB2000 in my HT/2ch system. These are not the sealed version, but I like the ported subs. You can audition them for 60 days if you like, plus you can trade in and upgrade within 1 year. I think you get the price you paid for the trade in, but you'd have to read the terms and conditions or better yet ask them how it works.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    black sheriff and Thouston like this.
  7. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

I'd consider a Rythmik Audio sub. One of their sealed models. Servo driven amps used too, so the response is well controlled. They have sealed subs using paper and aluminum drivers. Paper recommended for music, and aluminum for home theater. A good friend just bought a L12 sealed paper sub, and loves it. Well under budget too.

audiorocks, F1nut, mreeter and 2 others like this.
  8. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

The Sumiko (Made by Sonus Faber) REL knockoff subs have been discontinued and the prices should quickly drop while inventory is unloaded. I picked up a S.9 a few months ago and it's been a great match for my Venere 2.0 and Martin Logan EM-ESL.

At full price I would probably had bought the REL T7 or T9 but if you can find one for 40-50% off I think you would be pretty pleased.

Paragon Sight and Sound, Underwood Hi-Fi and other dealers have them on sale.

9. matteos

matteos Stereotype

10. Slimwhit33

I will just say that I had one of these prior to getting the two Polk subs that I eventually replaced with my SVS. It was not close to the SVS for a music setup, and it was $200 more. Just my 2 cents.

Thouston likes this.
  11. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

marcb and matteos like this.
  12. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

IMO the best $1000 sub for music is two $500 subs, running in stereo. I will never go back to a single sub ever again.

Ro-Go, Vinny123, Joe Spivey and 11 others like this.
  13. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

I am using two SVS SB-2000's in stereo with my rig and love them. These replaced a larger ported sub and there is no comparison. The sealed box SVS's do an amazing job without sounding boomy or bloated once I got them set up properly. Highly recommended!

14. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

I totally agree, mine is awesome and integrates perfectly with the speakers.

15. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

What he said! Two or more subs crossed over at the natural roll off point of your mains. Stereo subs just seem to be easier to integrate into a system.

BrewDrinkRepeat likes this.
  16. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

Agree. I have 3 subs in my setup. Having more than 1 has filled in those missing holes in my bass without having to install room treatment.

BrewDrinkRepeat likes this.
  17. Thouston

Ordered the SB 2000. I might order another one later.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

18. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

I think you will really like it, a second one will be even better!

19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

All I can say is that I love my REL Stadium II made by REL in Wales!

Not keen on the modern day RELs!

JG

20. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I bought a used REL Q201E sub for less than $500. Integrates very well with the room and speakers (Harbeth 7ES3). Food for thought!

21. Slimwhit33

You're going to love it!

22. lowendmidfi

lowendmidfi Active Member

Hi Thouston, please send an update when you have your sub setup. I'm curious to know you think. I also have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 300s and looking for a sub for music. My room size is similar to yours, maybe a little bigger leading into other rooms with vaulted ceiling going from 20ft where my speakers are located to about 10 ft where I'm seated. So far I've heard the Hsu VTF-1 mk3 and ULS-15 mk2. Wasn't super impressed, but probably can't really judge them without having them set up in my living room. I'm going to pop into my local Magnolia store to demo the Martin Logan Dynamo 700w and 1000w. I've already over spent going with the Silver 300s so I'd like to get the best bang for the buck without going over $800.

23. Thouston

The sub is supposed to deliver tomorrow. I'll send you an update.
    What amp are you driving the Silver 300's with?

24. lowendmidfi

lowendmidfi Active Member

I'm using an NAD C368 with Bluos. How about you?

25. Thouston

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.