The best $1000. Subwoofer for music?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowendmidfi

lowendmidfi Active Member

Did you get your SB2000 set up yet? Thumbs up or down?

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  2. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Wondering same thing.. update please OP!

3. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Yesterday, the dude at Iconic Systems in Houston was recommending the REL T/9i for music. He says he went through countless other subs before finding that the REL was the best for music, fwiw.

4. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

The smaller REL T/7i made the Absolute Sound Magazine - 2018 Editors’ Choice Awards (March 2018).

Sorted low to high priced.

* REL T/7i - $999
    * Syzygy SLF870 - $999
    * JL Audio e110/e112 - $1,699/$2,099
    * GoldenEar SupersubXXL - $1,995
    * Audio Kinesis Swarm - $2,500
    * REL S/5 - $2,599
    * MartinLogan BalancedForce 210 - $2,995
    * JL Audio CR-1 Crossover - $3,000
    * JL Audio Fathom f112/f113v2 - $3,700/$4,500
    * REL Gibraltar G1 Mk ll - $5,500
    * Paradigm Ref Sig Series Sub 2 - $10,500
    * JL Audio Gotham g213 v2 - $15,000
    * Magico QSub15 - $22,000

Jrr likes this.
  5. drobo

drobo Forum Resident

Been very happy for years with my REL Strata II in my main stereo system. I have a couple of Hsu subs in my two HT systems. They work well for movies and surround audio.

ben_wood likes this.
  6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I had never heard of Syzygy until this post. Anyone here own on? Prices look pretty good, but they seem awfully light weight wise.

7. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident Thread Starter

The SB2000 is everything Slimwhit said it would be. It blends in nicely with my Silver 300's. It adds that little extra kick under 50 hz.

It took me a while to get the variable phase setting right. After I got it dialed in, it sounds great!

I think it would be impossible to beat it for the money.

8. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

So glad that you're enjoying it! I will be getting another one once I'm ready to move my music room out of the current 10'x10' room into another spare bedroom that is 12'x17'... I love it! What finish did you get? I went with the Piano Black and it's pretty too!

9. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

I see that you have a Yamaha 2100. I have the as1100 and I'm thinking about adding a sub. Can I ask how you connected it? I have always used my rxv 3900 but that unit is in a different room.
    Thanks

10. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

I should add that I'm thinking of the same sub you bought and will use it with Jbl 4312se and (when wife and kids are home) jbl l890

11. Thouston

Through the preamp out. That is the only way to connect an A-S2100, since the ground floats.

Monty12 likes this.
  12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I’m using the SVS cylinder (PC13 Ultra). Able to tune it right in to work very well with the LS50w’s. It works much better with the ports plugged. That’s a good bit more than a grand, but the 12” version is in that range. I really like the cylindrical shape and it seems to work really well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Ivand likes this.
  13. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

ok thanks. Can I ask what you set your sub at? (Great Speakers by the way, I'm kinda of a speaker nut so I'm sure its just a matter of time before I have some monitor audios in my life)

14. Thouston

Right hand corner. Crossover 60 hz, Phase - 180, Volume 10 o'clock.
    Here is a thread about the Silver 300's.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/conversations/silver-question.640638/

15. Thouston

I ordered another SB2000 this morning. I figured that I might as well take advantage of the $100 discount.

16. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

What $100 discount? Looking at the SVS website, I'm seeing $699 for Ash Black or $799 for either Gloss Black or Gloss White.

17. Thouston

If you order a second sub within one year of the original purchase, SVS will give you $100 off.

Jrr likes this.
  18. lowendmidfi

When you have the 2nd sub set up, can you give us an update. I'm considering going with 2 smaller subs or a single 15 inch.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Based on the comments I'm going to order two tomorrow. I have two Klipsche, the larger ones, that were around $400 each and they just seem fake and boomy sounding. I'm using them to just fill out the sound with a pair of Thiel 3.6's which are very light in the bass.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Maybe this will help, though I know the poster already ordered the 2000's but I have been helped many a time looking at old posts!

I put two 2000's in my shopping cart and then thought I should go to my local hi-fi store which is all of 3 miles away before buying. They were not listed as a dealer for SVS but are for REL, the other brand brought up here (and more passionately). The guy asked me a lot of questions and then asked what I almost bought on line. He said the 2000's are good for the money but said if my budget was $1000 he highly recommended the REL T/7i. I figured he didn't have the 2000's even though he didn't knock them but low and behold, they in fact had the entire line in stock! So, they rep both companies so in my mind his opinion cred just upped by a ton. Of course he auditioned them (with Maggies and a McIntosh tube amp....glad I own Thiel's...hated the Mags). The 2000's just look cheap compared to the REL line, which admittedly are a bit more but not by much, and this is something we will likely be living with for a long time, so I don't like to compromise when there isn't a significant price difference. After all was said and done, I walked out not with one but two of the T/7i's. The Klipsche 450's I had made there presence known in my system...not in a good way. Way to pronounced bass, very boxey fake sounding. The REL's are very subtle. I am not aware of them. On Marley's Exodus, the bass is there as part of the mix but on Natural Mystic there is a deep gong every few beats and that is when you can really tell there are now two subs augmenting my Thiel's. A nice quick brief very low frequency that compliments the song and is fun to hear, and then they got back out of the way. My Thiels can't go down that far. To my thinking, that's what a sub should do in a good system. I have a separate system for my theatre, so I probably would have purchased the larger one's if for that too. The two 12" Klipsches will get moved there and will be fine for that use, but for music only the REL's are fabulous and look great too. The set up manual makes set up a snap. I would spend the extra if you are looking for subs for music, but if budget is a real concern the SVS's would probably be fine, especially for theatre use.

ben_wood likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I just noticed your post...pretty much what my rep said too. I listened to my system again tonight for a long time. I can't possibly imagine how it could sound any better by spending more or getting a different brand. I'm really fussy and these are just perfect. Those Klipsch subs were terrible in hind-site, and mine were the supposedly decent 450's.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  22. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I need a sub for music. Currently I use a single Velodyne DD-12 with a 2 channel system. The room is small-ish, so the bass quantity is fine and it blends beautifully with the built in eq system. But I have an inch to try a 2-sub arrangement.

So my choices are to buy 2 new subs and use them with the Velodyne SMS-1 eq box (which I have available) or just to buy another DD-12 second hand. They can be had for about 1000-1200.

This brings me to the REL T 7i, that looks very intriguing. The issue I have with it is the passive radiator. Does this not result in some loss of definition compared to a sealed box? I have to get over this, but it is bothering me. Any comments are welcome.

23. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Yes. In order for augmentation (port, PR, etc.) to work, it must be 360 degrees out of phase with the driver. The time lag of one entire cycle make a sealed box woofer a bit "tighter" and best for music.

John Moschella likes this.
  24. lowendmidfi

@Thouston, did adding the 2nd sub make a noticeable difference to your overall sound? I'm also using Monitor Audio Silver 300 speakers. Depending on what I'm listening to, sometimes I feel the bass is adequate without a sub. It's probably more mid bass than the lower frequencies I'm hearing. In general, i think adding a sub would help out the bottom end. From what I've read, adding a 2nd sub doesn't necessarily mean doubling the bass output, but helps in eliminating dead spots. I generally sit in the same area when i'm listening to music.

25. Thouston

Yes the second sub made a big difference. The bass level increased slightly, but the bass definition is much better. The second sub eliminated a lot of peaks and valley's. It is one of those things that I did not realize how much it helps until I turn off one of the subs.

Methodical, cdgenarian and Slimwhit33 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.