The best live album in recent memory

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mazzy, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

tame impala's record store day release
    todd snider "the storyteller"

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"Natural Wonder" - Stevie Wonder

Ok, so it was released nearly 20 years ago - still, despite some post-production meddling, it's one of my favourite live albums so here it is.

The concert was televised (slight differences between the tracks here than those on the longer CD release - eg, the vocal harmonies on the intro for "Love's In Need Of Love Today" are replaced with the '76 studio recording on the CD release - presumably the video has the original live audio throughout):

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

If only it came without an audience! Who the hell screams yeah, on an initial tuning test strum?

I've lost patience with much audience behaviour these past years:mad: I'm afraid my most recent Live favourite is Alison Krause + Union Station"Live" & that's barely this century.

4. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

They're download-only, but the freebie live EPs recently put out by Low, "Live at Eindhoven" and "Plays Nice Places", are a terrific way to be introduced to the band. They can be downloaded for free from Low's web site in exchange for signing up for their mailing list (link to Low's web site here: "Live at Eindhoven" and "Plays Nice Places").

5. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

The Pogues - Live in Paris

6. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I know I'm going to shock everyone here but I do like Simple Minds "Live in the City of Light" even though the song selection is really awkward given what was left off. Kasabian's "Live at the O2" is the best one I've heard recently. More of a companion to a concert video but they are a top rock band.

ganma likes this.
  7. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I think it's on the demand side rather than the supply side. People just aren't as interested in live albums as they used to be, so they don't make them anymore. They rarely sell much when they do get made; they seem to be approached (and promoted) as minor albums--strictly for dedicated fans. I can't remember the last time a live album was considered a major part of an artist's discography. (The last one can't be Nirvana's "MTV Unplugged in New York", can it? There must have been a bigger one since then.)

It's also worth noting that, as far as I can tell, there seems to be virtually no interest in live albums in pop or in hip-hop.

8. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

But they should have passed on the thread, then. Granted, even the OP had thrown his hands up after a while as too many people just didn't get what he was asking for. :shrug:

I would liked to have seen more modern live albums as well, just for the reasons you stated as they may not be heavily advertised.

jerrygene likes this.
  9. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

10. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

I was at that shoe and when Ry tunes up we all get excited

11. Tame Impala's Live Versions RSD release is pretty happening.

utahusker and Thurenity like this.
  12. absolutely - i had such high hopes for Nassau. The Resurrection boot is one of the greatest records of all time legal or bootleg

the official vinyl was somewhat less painful on the ears but mine was damaged from new and wouldn't play- dirty greasy finger marks on supposed new vinyl uugh!
    anyway the vinyl still had that awful noise reduction on life on mars-5 years
    and Panic in detroit was criminally neutered to make the transition between the 2 diff sources less abrupt

I would also have preferred a standalone release that would have captured the average punter

Easy action also ruined Iggys "where the faces shine" & "1977" so they're out

so with that in mind:
    Nirvana -Reading 92- yes its a bummer that the banter was chopped and the whole thing squished onto 1 disc but i'm just relieved that it didn't end up like Nassau 76!
    The Who - Live in Hull
    Woodstock 40th anniv 6cd box (2009)or 2 cd/vinyl versions - they took the audiophile approach
    Who - Greatest Hits Live
    Sex Pistols Trondheim/Stockholm 77 disc (2012 NMTB box set)
    killing joke at the forum 2008- i clearly remember my relief that Youths bass playing had recovered from the horrible out of tune 94-95 period
    Sex Pistols- Never Trust A Hippy 6 cd box set- no noise reduction, no attempts to "clean it up" just the Pistols (mostly shows with Sid) live for better or worse
    Iggy Pop "Live" on laserlight records 2009 -the definitive version of the Cleveland show for sound quality despite the jumbled tracklisting

13. I can't believe I'm typing these words but..
    Vinyl Passions release of Bowie Glass Spider, yes yes i know. but without the visuals its not so bad. Time, Sons of the Silent Age, I Wanna be your dog are good performances.
    the mastering and pressing are superb
    i don't listen to side 1- i'm not totally senile! but VP are on to something here, picking up unappreciated recordings from the archive and presenting them in audiophile quality
    I really want them to do a serious moonlight or Tin Machine release

14. Phish & Widespread Panic have many, many great live releases in their achieved concert series.

Check out Panic in the Street & Live in the Classic City from Widespread Panic.
    A Live One is a cornerstone in the Phish catalog.

Dave Alvin & the Guilty Men Out in California
    Lyle Lovett Live in Texas
    Thrice Live at the House of Blues
    Chris Smither Live As I'll Ever Be

15. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

The Cream 2005 RAH

arthurprecarious likes this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

+1 on Phish & Widespread Panic.

17. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Only heard the 24/96 DTS-HDMA Blu Ray but.......

ROY ORBISON - Black and White Night sounds BRILLIANT :D

NEIL DIAMOND - Hot August Night must be up there surely!!!

18. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Sticking strictly to albums bothr recorded and released in the last few years:

Babbacombe Lee Live Again - Fairport Convention
    Life Begins - Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash
    Live From Strongfjorden - Larkin Poe
    The Forbidden City - Stackridge

John Fell likes this.
  19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

What am I taking about?? The vocals on the CD aren't from the '76 recording at all :nyah:

Just a MUCH better mix than on the TV version - so much better that for a minute I thought it was the all-Stevie original intro!

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  20. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

blur parklive

21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

If a live album from 37 years ago is considered "recent," it'd be interesting to know what's considered from distant memory.

Jack_Straw and Dudley Morris like this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Were you at the right shoe or the other one?

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

+1 Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash

24. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Maybe that does not find many albums recently purchased live or a good memory ... really love this album. Just that.:)

25. dave76

dave76 Forum Resident

George Michael's Symphonica.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.